learning japanese

Tacky667

Reaction score
Hello, my friends recommended me two schools to learn Japanese. Ikoma and Bunka.

However one of them told me that the teachers in Ikoma don't use English much? If that's the case won't it affect how well a beginner can learn?

For me I took basic Japanese introductory lessons when I was in school and know hiragana, katakana, basic words and phrases and also counting. I'd like to know what are you guys' recommendations for which school is better to learn conversational Japanese? And whether they would have classes suited to my level without having to go through relearning hiragana and katakana again

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You have to think what is your end goal.

Ikoma uses direct method of teaching (i.e using Japanese to teach Japanese), so you might have issues at the start and have to put in more effort to understand what the teachers are saying. Ikoma is ok, because the school is big, they can put you on replacement class anytime of the day. Bunka might not have replacement class every day.

For Bunka, I am not so sure. Maybe indirect method of teaching (using English to teach Japanese).
Call the school to find out.

They can put you on a placement test to see which level suits you.

Go search my posts on the comparison of the schools.

Good luck

Last edited:

Janetsk

Reaction score
How about listening and talking

Prep classes are intensive lessons to equip you for JLPT. Ikoma focuses on grammar, comprehension and listening in the class. The sensei will not go through the vocabulary list given. You have to learn it on your own and a few will be randomly picked and tested in the weekly quiz.

darkelf

Master Member
Reaction score
hi, im looking forward to learn Japanese as a beginner. I have a full time job so this is more of a hobby.
I was thinking if Tomo language is good? I am looking for casual learning and hope it is not too stressful as i have to balance a full time job in IT with learning Japanese on my free time.

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are doing it as a hobby, then it's advisable to learn yourself first via places like japanesepod101, etc. Don't waste money. Learning a language requires commitment. It's usually about 2 hours of lesson + 4 hours of revision a week.

I tried to learn Korean, after I mastered my Japanese. At that time, I could not afford to spend even 2 hours to revise after class. After which, I stopped after 3 lessons, because I couldn't catch up.

You can try to do some searching online to see what others say about learning a language.

https://www.japaneseexplorer.com.sg/what-to-know-before-enrolling-for-japanese-language-classes/

https://www.liveworkplayjapan.com/learning-japanese-and-becoming-fluent-in-japan/

https://www.iwillteachyoualanguage.com/learn/japanese

Last edited:

ichinisan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if you are doing it as a hobby, then it's advisable to learn yourself first via places like japanesepod101, etc. Don't waste money. Learning a language requires commitment. It's usually about 2 hours of lesson + 4 hours of revision a week.

I tried to learn Korean, after I mastered my Japanese. At that time, I could not afford to spend even 2 hours to revise after class. After which, I stopped after 3 lessons, because I couldn't catch up.

You can try to do some searching online to see what others say about learning a language.

https://www.japaneseexplorer.com.sg/what-to-know-before-enrolling-for-japanese-language-classes/

https://www.liveworkplayjapan.com/learning-japanese-and-becoming-fluent-in-japan/

May I know where did you learn Japanese from?

Any idea which schools are better for pure beginners?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I started with Hougang Japanese Language School in 2006-2007 till N4 (then it was called JLPT 3), then I did online studies with Japanese Online for about 3 yrs and also Ikoma for their prep class only..

For a start, I think it would be good for you to do some self learning first, then after that enrol in a school.

The common ones would be Ikoma, Bunka or Hougang Japanese Language school.

lyzergnature

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ask yourself what's your purpose for learning. Ask yourself what's your motivation for learning. Can you afford the time and effort to constantly expose yourself to the language? Check if you have close contact with Japanese media, albeit news, drama, anime, books.

Keri_Lee

Reaction score
recommendation to pick up/revise Japanese

Hihi,

I took my N2 a few years ago and since graduating from Ikoma 2- 3 years ago i have not really touch Japanese for a long time but i would like pick it up again by self study and revision rather than going for refresher courses (if i can avoid). I am looking to revive it as a additional "skill" for my career in future (if it happen).

Thus i would like ask for recommendation what/where is the best way to re-visit the language? :p

Thank You.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hihi,

I took my N2 a few years ago and since graduating from Ikoma 2- 3 years ago i have not really touch Japanese for a long time but i would like pick it up again by self study and revision rather than going for refresher courses (if i can avoid). I am looking to revive it as a additional "skill" for my career in future (if it happen).

Thus i would like ask for recommendation what/where is the best way to re-visit the language? :p

Thank You.

Watch Japanese shows/anime/drama..

ChasingMist

Reaction score
There are also facebook groups for language exchanges. Like native Japanese person wanna learn english and tadah there's you who wanna learn japanese. Can also check out duolingo.

Soitfriday

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone of you is familiar with any Private Japanese Lesson? Would appreciate some advise or recommendation.

Thank you!

saycheese

Banned
Reaction score
Hihi,

Thank You.

Hi, I'm in the same shoes. Lately I have been watching Japanese drama and using conversational exchange app to brush up on my japanese.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone of you is familiar with any Private Japanese Lesson? Would appreciate some advise or recommendation.

Thank you!

Last edited:

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Change of N4/N5 duration for Paper 1 and Paper 2 from Dec 2020 onwards

118136970_3790615854289058_1878770499953973446_o.jpg

etude123456

Reaction score
Selling bundle of Japanese textbooks.

Some used. Some unused. Mostly 10-20% used or new.

PM if interested. Am fluent and do not need these.

SekishuAkiha

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows whether there are JLPT N1 prep courses that are SkillsFuture eligible. Pretty sure we can't use SkillsFuture for Ikoma, and Bunka doesn't seem to conduct any more JLPT prep courses.

Thanks.

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows whether there are JLPT N1 prep courses that are SkillsFuture eligible. Pretty sure we can't use SkillsFuture for Ikoma, and Bunka doesn't seem to conduct any more JLPT prep courses.

Thanks.

I think it might be hard for government to even approve such courses... cos its a prep course... from the school's pt of view, the process of applying to get such courses is also not easy.

SekishuAkiha

Reaction score
I think it might be hard for government to even approve such courses... cos its a prep course... from the school's pt of view, the process of applying to get such courses is also not easy.

Thanks for the quick reply. Kind of unfortunate we can't use SkillsFuture for the prep course, most translator jobs require JLPT N2 or above. Having a certificate definitely boosts a person's employability. But well, it is what it is.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.