learning japanese

mojack

Reaction score
hi peeps, i am thinking of taking up the basic 1 from ikoma but just went to the site and found out that they are already starting the new classes this week. does any1 know if i can still join up the weekend classes for this new intake? lastly, if taking basic 1 & basic 2 will I be on time to attempt jlpt 4 this year?

thanks in advance. :)

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi mojack, i think maybe u still can try. Drop me a pm with ur MSN. i'll see how i can advise u. =)

arcadefire

Reaction score
hi peeps, i am thinking of taking up the basic 1 from ikoma but just went to the site and found out that they are already starting the new classes this week. does any1 know if i can still join up the weekend classes for this new intake? lastly, if taking basic 1 & basic 2 will I be on time to attempt jlpt 4 this year?

thanks in advance. :)

Erhm, if part-time, surely not in time. Full-time for both should be can, since both lasts 5 weeks each. I am currently taking Basic 1 FT, ending on Monday, and will be taking Basic 2 part-time in Sept.

aocgold1976

Banned
Reaction score
Blizzard's Next Game Could Be More Successful Than WoW

Blizzard's team doesn't care for the term "killer app," used to describe a program or product — in this case, a certain MMO — that single-handedly shaped the market around its platform. In fact, when we asked about World of Warcraft gold unshakable hold on the massively multiplayer biz, game director Jeffrey Kaplan was humble."I don't believe that WoW is untouchable," he said. "I completely believe that a game could come out and be more successful than WoW. I'm hoping that we're working on it right now."Designing and developing any MMO, Kaplan said, simply distills down to a series of choices. "I think a lot of other companies have had great opportunities to do what WoW has done... usually for whatever reason, they miss the mark."World of Warcraft gold"I actually feel really bad, a lot of times, when new MMOs come out and don't do really well, because I'm not thinking of it from a business perspective. I know what it's like to be a developer on a team that you believe in on a game that you just love, and for some reason, you don't get enough time, or someone makes a bad decision... everybody's making a lot of small choices, and when those go wrong, your game ends up not successful."Diablo III lead designer Jay Wilson believes that one can really focus on one MMO at a time, because of the time demand. He said he played Age of Conan for a couple of months, played Lord of the Rings Online a lot, and still goes back to City of Heroes every now and then. He thinks the key to MMO success is "not making choices based upon being different, but making choices based upon what's good for your game." "If there was an MMO out there that had a tone different from WoW but was executed as well, I actually think there could be a huge audience for that. When I get disappointed, it's because I don't see that level of execution."World of Warcraft goldAnother key factor for global success, said Blizzard's associate PR manager Bob Colayco, is that it takes a lot of time to develop the infrastructure to support a global audience. Players in any country around the world can receive service and support on WoW in their native language and the localizations are meticulous, he said, which contributes to the retention of a broad userbase.But will Blizzard's next project be the game that finally tops WoW's global success?"I believe it can be," Kaplan said. "The same challenge is on us. Are we going to make the right decisions? I don't believe that just because we made WoW, we're guaranteed on the next MMO that we make to have the same success." He also said that at launch, WoW was not what it is today — it's taken the game a five to six-year development cycle, plus two years on Burning Crusade and a year and a half on Lich King. Similarly, StarCraft 2 is renowned, he said, for its "perfect game balance" — but it didn't launch that way, the team recalled.World of Warcraft gold"I really believe you're only as good as your last game. I really think you gave to prove it every time," said Kaplan.And is the bar especially high for Blizzard? "Yeah, for sure."Said Wilson, "The only thing we get for free is faith that we'll follow up on any problems. Anything else, we have to earn."World of Warcraft gold "The same challenge is on us. Are we going to make the right decisions? I don't believe that just because we made WoW, we're guaranteed on the next MMO that we make to have the same success."so what is their next MMO then?

mojack

Reaction score
dimitri_can said:
Hi mojack, i think maybe u still can try. Drop me a pm with ur MSN. i'll see how i can advise u. =)

Erhm, if part-time, surely not in time. Full-time for both should be can, since both lasts 5 weeks each. I am currently taking Basic 1 FT, ending on Monday, and will be taking Basic 2 part-time in Sept.

Hi both, thanks for the input. I can't possibly take up FT coz I'm a working adult, so PT is my only option. I guess jlpt4 is out of my reach this year :(.

I'll hop by ikoma later tonight to see if there's still any places left for the new Sat/Sun classes. Hopefully I can start as early as this wkend.

heguhegu

Reaction score
JLPT registration is starting soon, in fact it's today, in a few hours time. But there are some things that need to be clarified:

I visited the JCS site regarding the registration procedures. This is the link:

http://www.jcss.org.sg/JLPT%20Application%20Procedure.htm

- Photocopy of IC or passport? There isn't such in the previous years. Why do they need this anyway? To prevent false identity?

- Cash not accepted? Can we pay by NETS instead? I can't issue a cheque. I thought payment has always been cash-based.

- Look at the test fees...scary!!

What do you guys think about this? I will be busy this week so no time to make a trip down to confirm this. But those who wish to register might want to take note.

ender51244

Reaction score
ender, what's with the Keio University thing?

eh... aiming ?

that is a really good university. the surroundings is so different and suits my liking. always wanted to enter (erm, see page 8 of thread). that is the same for waseda, which my friend brought me on a mini tour some years ago. the buildings, the scenery just makes you want to study there. maybe its just me, but i'm kinda attracted to aged-buildings for its design, history and atmosphere.

if i happen to strike lottery, i will go apply for the Japanese programs from either keio or waseda. =)

p/s: Keio and Nus has set up jointly set up a Keio-NUS CUTE center in Singapore recently. too bad i'm not in their field of work. link: here

ender51244

Reaction score
JLPT registration is starting soon, in fact it's today, in a few hours time. But there are some things that need to be clarified:

I visited the JCS site regarding the registration procedures. This is the link:

http://www.jcss.org.sg/JLPT Application Procedure.htm

- Photocopy of IC or passport? There isn't such in the previous years. Why do they need this anyway? To prevent false identity?

- Cash not accepted? Can we pay by NETS instead? I can't issue a cheque. I thought payment has always been cash-based.

- Look at the test fees...scary!!

What do you guys think about this? I will be busy this week so no time to make a trip down to confirm this. But those who wish to register might want to take note.

wow, thanks for the update. the regulations have changed a bit, i think, to prevent someone from sitting in the exam for someone else. It is just a loophole they are trying to cover, it seems.

i don't think JCS accept NETS. maybe we can try using postal order, it is available in all singpost branches. if you have any doubts, CALL JCS. lots of people do that and when you see the endless massive crowd all over the tiny entrance, it is better to call, i think. maybe jcs are trying to make this jlpt payment system more transparent or something, maybe some incident changed the rules of the system i don't really know but i think what is published on that website will be here to stay.

what about ikoma classes ? ikoma staff helps to process the examination applications and if they are the same, it may mean that this order comes directly from the Japan Embassy.

test fees are up by $5 compared to last year's prices. it is scary. how come test fees are on the rise too?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh... aiming ?

that is a really good university. the surroundings is so different and suits my liking. always wanted to enter (erm, see page 8 of thread). that is the same for waseda, which my friend brought me on a mini tour some years ago. the buildings, the scenery just makes you want to study there. maybe its just me, but i'm kinda attracted to aged-buildings for its design, history and atmosphere.

if i happen to strike lottery, i will go apply for the Japanese programs from either keio or waseda. =)

p/s: Keio and Nus has set up jointly set up a Keio-NUS CUTE center in Singapore recently. too bad i'm not in their field of work. link: here
すごいよね。。。sianz 1/2...

Just called up JCS. They said they still accept cash payment.

Last edited:

ender51244

Reaction score
すごいよね。。。sianz 1/2...

Just called up JCS. They said they still accept cash payment.
oh... that's good. makes things a lot more easier, paying by cash.

For those going to JCS to regisiter, it is better to make sure that you have enough money with you. There was once whereby i wasn't really aware that JCS doesn't accept nets and had to walk all the way back to Bugis MRT station to draw money from the ATMs there... dunno what is going to happen to next year's test fees....

Demonic88

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi if i am in ns now and wish to take up jap classes. btw im stay in. what wld be a good sch to join considering i wan to start asap and the sku fees.

demid

Reaction score
Has anyone seen questions where the instructions states that there are X number of mistakes in a japanese passage and instructs you to identify/correct the mistakes?

Seen this type of question recently and it really stumped me.... looking for more to practice on...

Thanks

ender51244

Reaction score
Has anyone seen questions where the instructions states that there are X number of mistakes in a japanese passage and instructs you to identify/correct the mistakes?

Seen this type of question recently and it really stumped me.... looking for more to practice on...

Thanks

i have a feeling that it is a JCS practice paper/worksheet... is that so? (sorry if i got mistaken, got very poor memory)

but if i'm not wrong, jcs provides options to choose from right ? (in this case, its totally off-track. gomen nasai.)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.