Lousy Computer Power Supply to avoid - OCZ!

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
my psu is coolermaster leh. dont scare me leh bro . just buy only :(

Next time wan buy PSU, google search <PSU model> jonnyguru review. See if got good score. If got good score just buy and don't worry alr :s22:
 

Gaminator

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2004
Messages
8,627
Reaction score
691
I have a Silverstone OP1000, bought back when 1kW PSU were rare and very ex, remember mine cost >$500.....IIRC. But totally worth while dah, I got this PSU to power a 7950 GX2 -> 2x HD2900XT -> 2x HD3870 X2 - 2x HD5870 -> HD6990 + HD6970 (3rd rig) and it's still doing a damn fine job. Read the jonnyguru review back then, it came out favorably against the gold standard then, PC P&C 1kW PSU. This PSU is >6 years old and still going strong dah, that's why I buy Silverstone, Corsair and Seasonic nia......

BTW, OCZ used to be pretty good, I recall having the PowerStream 520W and 420W units back then, solid performers.
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
Nothing new in terms of quality for OCZ. Been avoiding them like a plague.
 

ChandlerBing

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
725
Reaction score
1
+1 on the statement that OCZ used to be pretty good like 7-8 years ago. Back then Corsair was only making RAM. Silverstone was like the elite for PSU and I don't remember hearing about Seasonic yet. I remember OCZ RAM used to be pretty popular and not cheap too. Guess the rest of the competition left it far behind since then.

I remember Acbel too haha!

As for CM stuff, never liked any of them, be it PSU, casing, fans or whatever. Personal preference.
 

InnovativeDan

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Messages
600
Reaction score
0
spoil 3 times + 1 time spoil graphics + 1 time spoil mb, total 5 times? got so suay meh?
have you ever thought of the possibility of a faulty wiring or electrical surge?
 

tuckloong

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2007
Messages
33,691
Reaction score
9,417
Hmmm agree...PSU ish important de..my seventeam 1000watts still strong after 5 years...sliverstone and enermax ones also serve more than 3 years le...

now ish left a old old verudium as backup....

will consider FSP as new purchase liao :)
 

GhostWhere29

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2011
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
6
Next time wan buy PSU, google search <PSU model> jonnyguru review. See if got good score. If got good score just buy and don't worry alr :s22:

i gotta FSP bronze 450W . but spoil . i go back and they told me batch got problem and ask me change to another model . so i tot coolermaster is a good brand . who knows ..:s22::s22: sh!t happen~
 

ChandlerBing

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2005
Messages
725
Reaction score
1
i gotta FSP bronze 450W . but spoil . i go back and they told me batch got problem and ask me change to another model . so i tot coolermaster is a good brand . who knows ..:s22::s22: sh!t happen~

Just use first lor, if sway sway spoil again (choy!) then change another more reliable brand lah.

Never liked CM coz I always had the impression (I still do) that they try too hard to do too many PC peripherals and components instead of just specializing in one or two. Just don't think very well of it that's why I avoid their stuff.

But the ang mohs seem to love using their cases for mods, though.
 

shawntyq

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
49,756
Reaction score
1,978
i gotta FSP bronze 450W . but spoil . i go back and they told me batch got problem and ask me change to another model . so i tot coolermaster is a good brand . who knows ..:s22::s22: sh!t happen~

sometimes i wonder how come batch problem still put and sell :vijayadmin:
 

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
6,310
Reaction score
3
Three points must be made here first:

1. No OEM is infallible. Enermax had problems in the past with some models. Seasonic had some dodgy units before. FSP can make better units, but for some reason refuse to. Even Delta has its share of issues in the past.

2. No brand is infallible. Corsair has nearly no bad models, but its original CX series (budget) were not suited for anything other than low power rigs due to the low +12V rail, even though it was introduced in the era of heavy +12V usage (and it was even a replacement for the VX series!). Seasonic is highly praised by many (a bit overly so, IMO), but has a higher incidence of coil whine issues than other brands (personal anecdotal evidence based on interweb readings).

3. No model is infallible. Even the best made PSU will still have defective units shipped within every batch shipped, or that a unit suffers damage from the shipping process. It may not be a DOA, it may have a shorter than expected lifespan.

If we consider the 6 sigma paradigm, it still expects 3.4 defects per million, not zero. A zero defect policy will drive present prices up the roof. Not even pharmaceutical manufacturing is zero defect...



YMMV...
 
Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
41,247
Reaction score
5,674
Only read PSU review from Xbit labs and hardware secrets, u never get it wrong
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
I think sometimes also depends on heng or suay. They often say andyson is lousy. But mine so far never give problems, already 4 years. And mine is the lower end range, only 450w.

By the way how to know their manufacturer? They indicate on the box? I think the manufacturer is more important than the brand.
 

RockaRolla

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
6,411
Reaction score
1,915
I think sometimes also depends on heng or suay. They often say andyson is lousy. But mine so far never give problems, already 4 years. And mine is the lower end range, only 450w.

By the way how to know their manufacturer? They indicate on the box? I think the manufacturer is more important than the brand.

Lol, im currently using andyson and i bought it 3yrs ago, during that time hwc keep on recommending andyson

I think have to compare relatively to the year it was bought in, rather than against current competition
 

Maeda_Toshiie

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 12, 2007
Messages
6,310
Reaction score
3
1. Andyson F series had a decent reputation. The same cannot be aid of the newer G series.

2. In addition to pure luck and design, the lifespan of a PSU is also dependent on the usage pattern, typical loads and environmental operating conditions.

3. The quality of PSU is more than its operational lifespan. Poor voltage regulation, droops, spikes, etc, can contribute to other problems that manifest in other components.

4. The OEM can sometimes be guessed by certain indications on the PSU sticker or PCB or components inside the PSU. However, there are databases of PSU models/ series and the OEM manufacturer.

5. Note that some brands simply repackage existing designs from an OEM without input on the design specifications. On the other hand, others do work with the OEM on the design, such as Antec and Corsair.
 

ckjoe234

Master Member
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
3,423
Reaction score
0
I have a Silverstone OP1000, bought back when 1kW PSU were rare and very ex, remember mine cost >$500.....IIRC. But totally worth while dah, I got this PSU to power a 7950 GX2 -> 2x HD2900XT -> 2x HD3870 X2 - 2x HD5870 -> HD6990 + HD6970 (3rd rig) and it's still doing a damn fine job. Read the jonnyguru review back then, it came out favorably against the gold standard then, PC P&C 1kW PSU. This PSU is >6 years old and still going strong dah, that's why I buy Silverstone, Corsair and Seasonic nia......

BTW, OCZ used to be pretty good, I recall having the PowerStream 520W and 420W units back then, solid performers.

My previous powerstream 520w served me well too for about 40 mths b4 I got my current corsair...ihmo its a heng n suay thing la...doesn't mean super high end psu will not fail on u one day...juz tat chances of those good ones failing is much lesser compared to those tad not so good ones...n I feel that how long a psu would last, in regards to any made model or warranty..depends on the way the end user..working environment. .other components etc...juz my 2.5 cts
 

Nipponho

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2011
Messages
647
Reaction score
10
Recently my computer suka suka hang and reboot. When I switch on, it has to struggle to “start engine” and only manage to start up after a few reboots. So I thought most likely is due to my “lousy” andyson psu misbehaving, as it has not so good reviews on internet. I was shopping for a new psu when someone asked me to check my mobo first, see whether the capacitors heads are swollen. True enough, 2 of them were a bit swollen. I changed mobo, cpu & ram, but still keeping my andyson psu. After that all hanging problems disappeared, meaning it is not my andyson psu’s fault.

My computer is on 15-18 hours a day for 3 years. My andyson psu survived my slavery. Going forward, I will run it 24/5, not sure if it can still survive by working non-stop.

Human beings is like that. If we read postings, we can be prejudiced and once there is problems, we blame the fault on it. I believe it is heng suay matter. Not all andyson psu are lousy. Just like everyone is using Kingston ram without any problems, but for me, I was suay enough to have to rma it at Convergent.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top