[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

MoDiE

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
8,399
Reaction score
36
anyone using mac mini and connect to HDTV via HDMI?

hows the picture quality when working in OS X and hows the picture quality when playing those 1080p movies?

what about the sound quality?
 

bunnypangsai

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2012
Messages
9,939
Reaction score
39
Can i recontract my plan (singtel lite 39.90 per mth) to get an ipad mini retina display? How much would it be? :s22:
 

donetus

Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2012
Messages
374
Reaction score
26
finally, I got my MBP back .. HDD issue. After they've replaced the HDD, everything's ok. Installation took less than 1hr. and funny that still want to stick with the OS issue .. oh well ..

did u check yr hdd? maybe bad sectors. check e hdd s.m.a.r.t attributes also.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
finally, I got my MBP back .. HDD issue. After they've replaced the HDD, everything's ok. Installation took less than 1hr. and funny that still want to stick with the OS issue .. oh well ..

Hah finally!! For ur next Mac, get the AppleCare Protection Plan instead.... :s22:
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
oh i will, definitely .. :)

Someone's selling APP in HWZ for really cheap. :)

Apple's service is really good. Even though the repairs are outsourced in Singapore, so you're not really dealing with Apple, they are certainly better than those 3rd party kind.
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Someone's selling APP in HWZ for really cheap. :)

Apple's service is really good. Even though the repairs are outsourced in Singapore, so you're not really dealing with Apple, they are certainly better than those 3rd party kind.

Hopefully we'll see an Apple Retail Store in Singapore...
 

Weng123

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Messages
28,571
Reaction score
4,323
Are there rumours that Apple will be coming up with refresh for the Mac Mini soon?
 

VodkaPear

Master Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2012
Messages
2,708
Reaction score
125
In the past, Im a imac user. I do not turn off/shutdown my machine. The most I only put to sleep mode.

But as Im using a mbp now, same as imac, i do not turn off/shutdown the machine and i m plugging in all the time. is this advisable?

i scare by doing this, it will reduce my battery life.
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
In the past, Im a imac user. I do not turn off/shutdown my machine. The most I only put to sleep mode.

But as Im using a mbp now, same as imac, i do not turn off/shutdown the machine and i m plugging in all the time. is this advisable?

i scare by doing this, it will reduce my battery life.

Imho, batteries are nowadays designed so long (1000 cycles?), I think you don't really need to bother too much. The best advise, usually, is that you should let the battery get used from time to time. But no need to purposely do a full discharge and recharge.
 

topokki

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
looking to buy a 2nd hand mbp from a dealer. Is there any loophole i should look out for? and he got the applecare from another dealer (w/o box). However its registered on apple website. If i needa repair it, will the apple repair center request for the box or receipt of the applecare?

Thank you in advance guys
 

kirine

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2005
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
Hi guys, need help here, I just bought a SSD drive and try to replace my HDD with it (iMac mid 2010), and I realized the hard disk bracket mounting got problem to fit in, any of you guys here have done this before? I tried google, but nothing specific on the mounting bracket requirement for SSD, I saw people using double side tape to tape the SSD on, is that doable? Thank you.
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Imho, batteries are nowadays designed so long (1000 cycles?), I think you don't really need to bother too much. The best advise, usually, is that you should let the battery get used from time to time. But no need to purposely do a full discharge and recharge.

Same advice for "VodkaPear". Do not perform full discharge and recharge of the battery religiously as advise by some others. Lithium battery on current technology are not this weak especially when it comes from Apple machines. They are pretty hardly and of good quality.

Like any consumables, they will deteriorate over time. Discharging them and charging them again wouldn't change anything except to tell the SMC which voltage is 100% and which is 0%. Generally brand new Lithium get a charging voltage at 4.2V and when depleted should not go below 3.0V. There is a cut off in the controller. The Nominal voltage of 3.7V after stabilisation.
Overtime the chemical construct of the battery will starts breaking down and the nominal voltage will drop. However for the sake of giving you proper remaining battery hours, the SMC inside will need to be updated. They should be updated when you are using it, it normally doesn't require a full discharge to know that.

Due to my recent encounter with escooters and it is using Lithium Ion batteries, I did some rather deep research into this matter to understand the difference between Ion and Polymer(used in Apple laptops), older other laptops are using Ions. How is it the need to balance charge between multiple packs of Lithium batteries and so forth. That's why it got me to understand better how it really works for this power packs.

Often discharge and recharge of the battery will only consume the cycles with little benefit to the end-user and definitely no benefit to the chemical process of the cells. Whether you like it or not, it will still deteriorate and will not whole as much charge and as long once the internal resistance build up over time. So muse use as much as you need, or stick with the AC mains to avoid using the battery. If you still want to use your model of laptop after AppleCare period, pay Apple service centre to service your battery and continue as long as possible. By then, you will be more concern with the age of your laptop rather than your battery.
 

Kooosh

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
706
Reaction score
0
My MagSafe head, the end that attaches to your Macbook is extremely hot! Just a 0.5 second touch and I have to let go! This is not the normal hot. I know it does get hot some times but this is on a whole new level of hot (heat)!

The adapter itself is just mildly warm, can even consider it not hot.

Is something wrong with my adapter or Macbook?

I'm using a 2013 after WWDC MBPr..

Should I get it changed since its still under the first year warranty and I do have Apple Care..
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
looking to buy a 2nd hand mbp from a dealer. Is there any loophole i should look out for? and he got the applecare from another dealer (w/o box). However its registered on apple website. If i needa repair it, will the apple repair center request for the box or receipt of the applecare?

Thank you in advance guys

My understanding is that APP is linked to the hardware itself, not to buyer. So when you send for repairs, all that matters is that there is APP registered for that hardware unit.
 

zitseng

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
775
Reaction score
2
Hi guys, need help here, I just bought a SSD drive and try to replace my HDD with it (iMac mid 2010), and I realized the hard disk bracket mounting got problem to fit in, any of you guys here have done this before? I tried google, but nothing specific on the mounting bracket requirement for SSD, I saw people using double side tape to tape the SSD on, is that doable? Thank you.

I think, the iMac uses a 3.5" desktop hard disk drive? SSDs usually come in notebook type 2.5" form factor. Some of them will include a bracket to fit into a 3.5" drive bay. If not, I'd imagine you should be able to find it in SLS.
 

kirine

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2005
Messages
639
Reaction score
2
I think, the iMac uses a 3.5" desktop hard disk drive? SSDs usually come in notebook type 2.5" form factor. Some of them will include a bracket to fit into a 3.5" drive bay. If not, I'd imagine you should be able to find it in SLS.

Thanks a lot mate, will check it out.
 

leoch037

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2001
Messages
1,749
Reaction score
3
should i buy mba2014 from applestore or get it from next wk pc show?
i'm eligible for educational pricing, can i enjoy that rate from retailers?
 

kopicc

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2008
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
Just a word of caution. The RAM (in the MBA) is soldered on. That means if you buy it stock from the retailers and later you decide to increase the amount of RAM, you are out of luck. If you buy from AppleStore, you have the option of maximising the RAM right at the point of purchase. As the saying goes, there's never too much RAM. Especially if intending to use the MBA as a dual OS machine.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top