[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Emm even in mission control, all the docs will be clustered together. I think you guys know what i meant haha. How do I see the individual doc?
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,167
Emm even in mission control, all the docs will be clustered together. I think you guys know what i meant haha. How do I see the individual doc?

there's overall windows n app specific windows. 2 modes for mission control. e app specific mode also no use for u?
 

megallica

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
Can someone guide me on this? I'm running a 2009 early aluminium macbook 13inch. I'm looking to upgrade my ram as well as change my HDD due to it being very slow and lack of funds for new laptop. Is it possible for me to just swap the HDD and install Yosemite OS X from a thumb drive? Cos I've been reading and everyone says that the original disc is required.
The ram should be straightforward.
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,167
Can someone guide me on this? I'm running a 2009 early aluminium macbook 13inch. I'm looking to upgrade my ram as well as change my HDD due to it being very slow and lack of funds for new laptop. Is it possible for me to just swap the HDD and install Yosemite OS X from a thumb drive? Cos I've been reading and everyone says that the original disc is required.
The ram should be straightforward.

Yosemite from usb drive.
How to Make an OS X Yosemite Boot Installer USB Drive | OSXDaily
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Emm even in mission control, all the docs will be clustered together. I think you guys know what i meant haha. How do I see the individual doc?

Use Application Windows. Even when windows are clustered in Mission Control, you can still place your mouse over any of the windows and press spacebar to zoom in.
 

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Use Application Windows. Even when windows are clustered in Mission Control, you can still place your mouse over any of the windows and press spacebar to zoom in.

Thank! I did not know about the spacebar thing. But what is a app specific window for mission control? I could only see all the different apps!

Oh okie I got it! I just have the right click the safari icon on the dock and i can see the different windows opened lol. oh...control f3 is the thing I'm looking for....thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks!
 
Last edited:

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Thank! I did not know about the spacebar thing. But what is a app specific window for mission control? I could only see all the different apps!

Oh okie I got it! I just have the right click the safari icon on the dock and i can see the different windows opened lol. oh...control f3 is the thing I'm looking for....thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks!

Erm you got it wrong. You are not exploiting Mission Control properly :)

30xh4lx.png
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,482
Reaction score
3,167
Thank! I did not know about the spacebar thing. But what is a app specific window for mission control? I could only see all the different apps!

Oh okie I got it! I just have the right click the safari icon on the dock and i can see the different windows opened lol. oh...control f3 is the thing I'm looking for....thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks!

as mentioned already just 4 fingers swipe down for app windows.
nice tip mentioned by david to use spacebar to zoom.
if u really really want to use e keyboard, control + down arrow key will trigger app windows also.

IFcxgXB.png
 
Last edited:

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2006
Messages
8,737
Reaction score
2,327
Anyone knows of a video converter that uses QuickSync? Handbrake doesn't seem to have any (Intel QSV) option, even on nightly.
 

shager

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
4,174
Reaction score
695
Ive just got my first macbook pro with Retina and am extremely new to mac and os X.

I'm trying to download my monthly statements in Excel format from HSBCNet and while this works seamlessly in Windows - I can't get it open in OS X. I think the file is a XML format.

I already have MS Office for Mac 2011 installed.

TIA.
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0
Need help with Yosemite install

Hi Guys, I've got a Late 2013 iMac 27" on OSX 10.9.5

Recently tried to install the Yosemite, but the installer said "storage verify fail"

Used CMD+R to enter disk util, and "First Aid"

It detected 5 x bootstrap transaction error, and said it can't repair the problem.

Tells me to reformat the HDD. I have no Time Machine, and the files are not important

The issue here is I have bootcamp with Win7 installed.

Will the reformatted HDD be able to work with the boot camped win7?

Thanks!
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys, I've got a Late 2013 iMac 27" on OSX 10.9.5

Recently tried to install the Yosemite, but the installer said "storage verify fail"

Used CMD+R to enter disk util, and "First Aid"

It detected 5 x bootstrap transaction error, and said it can't repair the problem.

Tells me to reformat the HDD. I have no Time Machine, and the files are not important

The issue here is I have bootcamp with Win7 installed.

Will the reformatted HDD be able to work with the boot camped win7?

Thanks!

Yes however you'll need to reinstall windows using bootcamp after you erased and reinstalled the OS.
 

Sturtles

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
1,956
Reaction score
0

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Wow... That sounds bad...

I thought the NTFS is in another partition, and should not be affected by the reformat.

However, the current OSX recognises the bootcamp partition as it was setup from the bootcamp utility

Attached is a screenshot of the error

[img=http://s13.postimg.org/e34x9v5qb/Screen_Shot_2014_12_01_at_10_23_34_pm.jpg]

You can still salvage bootcamp partition by just doing an erase of the OS X partition instead of the whole drive

However I will avoid doing so, I prefer to repartition the whole physical drive when doing an erase and installation just to be sure the recovery partition is cleaned up as well.

You'll probably need a spare USB drive if you want to install OS X Yosemite straight, else you can just reinstall OS X Mavericks then upgrade to OS X Yosemite after..
 

aamaterasu

Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
409
Reaction score
41
Hi Guys,

Can I check how do you guys do a backup on mac? I tried time machine but it needs something like a airport time capsule? Is it a physical object?

How do I backup using a external HDD or is there something like online backup?

Thanks!
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

Can I check how do you guys do a backup on mac? I tried time machine but it needs something like a airport time capsule? Is it a physical object?

How do I backup using a external HDD or is there something like online backup?

Thanks!

You can use an external HDD for time machine.

have a read at the following article: Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

for online backup, you can use Crashplan but it's a subscription base and backups are cloud based.

personally time machine is quick and reliable.
 

chehjin

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2000
Messages
6,607
Reaction score
854
if using home NAS, I have gotten corrupted sparse bundles many times. Not exactly foolproof.

but time machine is still a good feature to have
 

asriznet

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2009
Messages
981
Reaction score
0
if using home NAS, I have gotten corrupted sparse bundles many times. Not exactly foolproof.

but time machine is still a good feature to have

Yeah similar to the Airport Time Capsule as well, best is to use a plugged in drive for time machine like Thunderbolt enabled drive but a USB 3.0 is good enough.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top