[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,711
Reaction score
4
Is the mac pro worth it?

Clarification.

Do you mean the Mac Pro (Desktop) or MacBook Pro (notebook)? They are entirely different computers, and too many people on these forums say the former when they intend the latter.

/Dan
 

denilson

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
623
Reaction score
4
Hi a long time windows user here itching to convert into the Mac family but since it is an expensive purchase I would like to buy one with a peace of mind and I have some questions for the experts here.

1. I understand the free productivity apps (Numbers Pages Keynote) are meant to replace Excel Word Powerpoint. Are they truly able to integrate well with MS Office apps that windows users use? e.g. A resume created using "Pages" with lots of alignments will retain its format exactly if I email it in docx format to a windows user.
(How about MS Office for Mac?)

2. The Macbook Pro Retina 13" has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 but runs it "pixel double" at 1280 x 800. If I were to play a 1080p video would I be getting the same clarity as a windows laptop with true 1920 x 1080 resolution? Would the scaling done by The Retina pro cause a drop in video quality?

3. I know that windows read/save in NTFS while I am not sure what does OS X read/save on. Would it be inconvenient for me to pass documents to and fro from a Windows computer to a Macbook? While file system do we save on, NTFS or FAT32?

I have done some reading on the 3 questions and there seemed to be many answers floating around and they are "based on theory" thus I do not have any conclusive answers. Anyone with real life experience who can share some light on my questions?

Thanks
A (possible) future Mac user

For 1, depends how much you use excel and all. There is the new office for mac 2016 which is on beta now and much better than the older office for mac 2011 . But the office 2013 on windows still have more features than office for mac 2016, and some tools and add-ins only work with office 2013
 

jk_eugenetay

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
246
Reaction score
0
AirPort Extreme with Singtel Fiber (with MioTV & digital voice

Does anyone have any experience with this? I read that Starhub has a "direct mode" but can't seem to find any for Singtel.. Thanks in advanced!
 

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2007
Messages
17,512
Reaction score
19
Does anyone have any experience with this? I read that Starhub has a "direct mode" but can't seem to find any for Singtel.. Thanks in advanced!

airport extreme will not be able to work with singtel fibre entertainment bundle. you can only use it to bridge with existing singtel residential gateway.
 

PiPiChew

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
40,816
Reaction score
1,366
Another silly question that I can't find online.

If I send a MS Word document via email from my Macbook to a friend using Windows, would my friend be able to read it? I mean I saved it in docx format but I created the file using HFS system and emailed it. Would it affect anything?

Thanks

Sent from public payphone near kopitiam using GAGT
 

Geforce3

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2000
Messages
66,438
Reaction score
2
Another silly question that I can't find online.

If I send a MS Word document via email from my Macbook to a friend using Windows, would my friend be able to read it? I mean I saved it in docx format but I created the file using HFS system and emailed it. Would it affect anything?

Thanks

Sent from public payphone near kopitiam using GAGT
No it won't, he will be able to read and edit it
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
If I send a MS Word document via email from my Macbook to a friend using Windows, would my friend be able to read it? I mean I saved it in docx format but I created the file using HFS system and emailed it. Would it affect anything?

Applications of modern operating system days are not binded to the filesystem. They access the files via Filesystem API offered by the OS, so the file format of the application normally have no concern over which type of filesystem the OS is offering. As long as the software is built to interface on the same file format across platforms, which Microsoft Office makes it so, the same application can open the same file type across platforms. The only caveat is some features found on one platform is not found on the other, in which case, either the applications will provide substitutes or convert, or the feature is lost.

Once you transfer a file via network, the filesystem is not of concern anymore. Mainly the file format of the application matters most.
 

PiPiChew

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2011
Messages
40,816
Reaction score
1,366
Applications of modern operating system days are not binded to the filesystem. They access the files via Filesystem API offered by the OS, so the file format of the application normally have no concern over which type of filesystem the OS is offering. As long as the software is built to interface on the same file format across platforms, which Microsoft Office makes it so, the same application can open the same file type across platforms. The only caveat is some features found on one platform is not found on the other, in which case, either the applications will provide substitutes or convert, or the feature is lost.

Once you transfer a file via network, the filesystem is not of concern anymore. Mainly the file format of the application matters most.

Hehs thanks a lot!

Sent from public payphone near kopitiam using GAGT
 

freeloadx

Master Member
Joined
May 31, 2008
Messages
3,232
Reaction score
1
anyone has a spare mbp 2011 charger that I can buy?
or where can i get an affordable one?
 

hafiz91

Master Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2008
Messages
3,630
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,if I were to buy a Apple Mac Pro 2013(desktop) from the U.S,do I need any kind of adapter to use the power cord here?
 

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2010
Messages
13,550
Reaction score
1,301
Hi guys,if I were to buy a Apple Mac Pro 2013(desktop) from the U.S,do I need any kind of adapter to use the power cord here?

US and Singapore uses different type of power socket. Singapore follows the UK/GB standards. You may need to purchase a different power cord that comes with a different socket type. The power supply unit within the MacPro as stated in the website seems to indicate universal 110V and/or 240V switchable. However you might just want to call up Apple CS for a confirmation.
 

intotech88888

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Apple HPs

Hi, apple iphones cheaper in sg or in US? Since I will be heading there soon.. Can buy there if cheaper??
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top