[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

kevpaang

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a new user of MB for a couple of wks now n i got a serious qn to ask;
Recently i D/L 'FileGuard-X5' to lock up my working docs but when the trial ended, i uninstalled it using 'AppDelete'. After deleting it etc, i was shocked to see when i right-click mouse -> more, the freaking 'FileGuard' is still there!
I opened it n the app still can respond like normal but strangely, the app cant be found inside my app folder where i D/L n installed it. I search my HD for it but no results.
Anyway, whenever i open it, it will always create a icon/file inside my docs folder.
Can any old bird guide me on how to remove it completely? What did i done to my beloved MB?

Thks!!

Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

kevpaang

Reaction score
Hello there... Think the Contextual Menu Item was still left when you removed the app...

Look in the folder "Contextual Menu Items" under the "Library" folder in your home folder. It should be there.. If not, try the "CMI" folder under "Library" in the root folder /.

HTH.
/Dan

Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
Thank you very much for your super fast reply! *Cool!!*
So basically i just drag the file to the trash bin n it remove the 'FileGuard' thingy when i right click my mouse?
Errmm...on more nood qn....how i know which files will be related to the 'FileGuard'? I still dun know my mac well enough...will i accidently del some vital stuffs in the 'CMI' folder? What should i look out for?

Thks!!!

Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

kevpaang

Reaction score
Well, it's usually not a good idea to go around deleting unknown files - things might break. As for that one file you're sure of, please trash it. You may need to enter an admin password if it was in the root Library folder... Oh, and you might need to reboot to use.

You could try Preferences under library, with the general format com.companyname.application.. Those are related, but they are so small they shouldn't pose much of a problem.

Apps like AppDelete and AppZapper try to remove all these pref files for you.. They aren't strong when it comes to files put in other places - that's not really "normal" behaviour for most apps...

/Dan

Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
Got it all fixed up...many thks to u & thks to u i learnt something new today. :)

Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
1) How to add 'new tab' button in Safari?
2) How to configure mouse button to go back in web browser?
3) How to view PDF file in webpage using FireFox?
4) How to change icons?
5) How to make quicktime play XVID videos?
6) How to use spotlight as a calculator
7) What's Ctrl+alt+del in mac osx?
8) How to print screen in mac?

enough? :p

I think this is a decent list.. :) I believe Nitrile has just put up a nice page on print screen, the rest will benefit from graphical help, so it might take a bit of time...

Spotlight as a calculator isn't really necessary, no? But no harm. Let's just put it in later to expand the list of questions.

/Dan

kevpaang

Reaction score
Oh no worries... Could I invite you to look through our FAQ and give suggestions as to what other questions/guides would be beneficial to you as a new user? I've been using OS X for so long, I've forgotten how it's like to be new. :o

Pai seh ah, but I hope you can understand how it's like.. We sometimes take for granted the smallest things.

/Dan
Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Sure sure...i actually got it all printed out n treat it as my 'Mac for Dummy'.:D
Anyway, can u recommend me a freeware app that can lock up my personal file?
I d/l n tried many but all too chim cos must do partition volume etc. I just need something good n simple like 'FileGuard' which is just a right click away to password secured my one folder but sadly must pay....*haiz*.
I know there is a 'File Vault' in our mac but think it will lock up all my folders (unless there is more than meet the eye), it's kinda troublesome cos i just want to secure my work related docs only.

Thks!

This I don't have any idea to, since I have no need to secure an individual folder...

IMO, the use of filevault is more for the entire HDD.. Suppose you lose your mac, and someone wants the data on your HDD.. the normal way would be to log in right? But since they do not have your password, the next best way would be to extract the physical HDD and plug it to another Mac to retrieve the contents.. Filevault protects your entire home folder so that other mac cannot view the contents.

I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility.. This is a bit out of my league, sorry. :(

PS: I'm sure there should be freeware around that does this, given how popular it would be in the Unix world... Guess we could search?

/Dan

stuckira

Reaction score
I think some of the other users could advice on this single-folder utility..

Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).

shiahzy

Reaction score
I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Why not use encrypted disk images, created with Disk Utility? Don't save the password in the Keychain (and please use a different password from your account).

Oh right.. This is a wonderful idea... :) I forgot all about that option, cos I don't usually have anything to hide. :o

/Dan

gign

Reaction score
is it possible to set where iphoto stores its images?

shiahzy

Reaction score
I try installing bootcamp on windows a few days back but decided to remove the partition because i see no use in windows on my mac. however, i realised that i may have lost some disk space - maybe a few hundred mb - in the process of partitioning.

is there anyway to reclaim the apparent lose in disk space?

Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.

kevpaang

Reaction score
Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Anybody wants to help me with this?

TIA.

Unfortunately, this would be out of my league.. I don't really need windows to the extent of having to Boot Camp... I do know you need to run Boot Camp again to repartition/reclaim the used space once you've decided to do away with windows.

/Dan

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Errmm...sound technical...can u give me a rough guide on how to do it? I googled it but too many results until i blur.
Anyway, i saw Keychain in my mac but whats the purpose of it?I havent go n explore it out.

Thanks!

Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan

siegeholler

Reaction score
hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.