[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

Pred2

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for peeps who wanna hide folders for whatever reasons, u can google for a widget called Abracadabra. go thru the self-explanatory readme and u're good to go.

Igene

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Prolong Battery Life Span

OK, I know it's been posted by Dan before:
Should I keep the battery in when I'm connected to AC power?
You should always keep the battery in as the latest Intel Macs restrict their processors to 1ghz when a battery is not inserted. Contrary to popular belief, it also increases the lifespan of the batteries as the notebook's internal power management conditions the battery which is better than leaving it unconnected. It's also more convenient too.

So... we should just leave the battery inside? Even if we know that we hardly going to bring the laptop out (use with battery)? So we just leave the battery in, and connect the AC adapter at all time, or only plug in the AC adapter to charge when the battery is almost empty, and unplug when it's fully charge?

:s11:

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
OK, I know it's been posted by Dan before:

So... we should just leave the battery inside? Even if we know that we hardly going to bring the laptop out (use with battery)? So we just leave the battery in, and connect the AC adapter at all time, or only plug in the AC adapter to charge when the battery is almost empty, and unplug when it's fully charge?

:s11:

Yeah.. You can leave it plugged in while using too.. Just make sure you do a few drains and charge it once in a while...

/Dan

Reaction score
i just bought my macbook pro. where's the guide for the short cut keys and other useful information for 1st time users?

kaiallard

Reaction score
Yeah.. You can leave it plugged in while using too.. Just make sure you do a few drains and charge it once in a while...

/Dan
leinad must do battery drain? Do we max out running all applications and movies to drain? I thought this battery is not memory sensitive. When I feel the underside of the mbp, only the left speaker area is hot. the batt area is warm to cool. I thought as long as no heat gets to the battery its life will not suffer.

I think its a good design of apple to put the battery there. centralised weight and away from the heat. :)

I use postball to prop up my mbp. now even cooler :)

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
leinad must do battery drain? Do we max out running all applications and movies to drain? I thought this battery is not memory sensitive. When I feel the underside of the mbp, only the left speaker area is hot. the batt area is warm to cool. I thought as long as no heat gets to the battery its life will not suffer.

I think its a good design of apple to put the battery there. centralised weight and away from the heat. :)

I use postball to prop up my mbp. now even cooler :)
You don't have to force drain the battery... In short, Lithium ion batteries do not have memory effects, but their ions are supposed to be constantly moving as much as possible... If they are stagnant for too long, the cells die too.

You have to read up on the battery technology to understand more.

/Dan

Reaction score
im running my macbook pro on double platform : mac osx 10.5.2 & windows xp.

hmm anyways how to transfer files downloaded on my mac osx to my other platform, windows xp.

there's a drive of the window xp when i start up on mac osx, but it denied me to transfer over.

i can't use my ipod too, perhaps when i changed over to mac osx, the software is under mac. i plug it in while using windows, it can detect but cant explore as if it was empty.

lostboyz

Reaction score
Hi, when we start the mac, by pressing option it will let us select the leopard or xp, how can i change the icon of these 2 Hd icons?

veefour

Reaction score
Hi, when we start the mac, by pressing option it will let us select the leopard or xp, how can i change the icon of these 2 Hd icons?

i think that cannot be changed. or at least, no one has found the answer yet.

however, if you don't like the icon, you can consider reflt. different icons and you will be even able to do triple boot :s22:

lostboyz

Reaction score
i think that cannot be changed. or at least, no one has found the answer yet.

however, if you don't like the icon, you can consider reflt. different icons and you will be even able to do triple boot :s22:

hmm, I saw my fren imac, he manage to change the Leopard HD, but when i asked him why he didnt change xp Hd, he said he dunno how.

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello,

have been having some issues upgrading flash plugin for firefox on my wife's macbook. When installing it'll be stuck on Searching for Macintosh HDD while it keeps searching, nothing seems to be happening. Did everything as said on flash website including fixing the permissions but still stuck on searching for macintosh hdd.

Another problem is the preview on Macbook. Can't seem to use it. Click on it nothing happens. Can't seem to preview anything, including jpeg files.

Can someone recommend a 3.5 external hdd for my wife's macbook. Thinking of getting at least 250gb. But i'm not sure which are compatible.

Please help, lots of thanks to everyone in advance.

DevilinDisguise

Reaction score
Hi guys...

Ques: Synchonizing Outlook Folder to MacBook.

I've managed to set up an Account in my MacBook using the iMail. Can I actually Synch all the existing mail in my Outlook to my iMail? Many thanks all.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...

Ques: Synchonizing Outlook Folder to MacBook.

I've managed to set up an Account in my MacBook using the iMail. Can I actually Synch all the existing mail in my Outlook to my iMail? Many thanks all.

Outlook would be on a PC? You'll need to check around the net for a tool to do just that. There are a couple, but I believe mostly commercial. There's some good freeware, but I think some other users are better suited to advise on this - I use Gmail so it doesn't bother me, I can always reset the sync dates if I desire, or switch to IMAP.

/Dan

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hello,

have been having some issues upgrading flash plugin for firefox on my wife's macbook. When installing it'll be stuck on Searching for Macintosh HDD while it keeps searching, nothing seems to be happening. Did everything as said on flash website including fixing the permissions but still stuck on searching for macintosh hdd.

Another problem is the preview on Macbook. Can't seem to use it. Click on it nothing happens. Can't seem to preview anything, including jpeg files.

Can someone recommend a 3.5 external hdd for my wife's macbook. Thinking of getting at least 250gb. But i'm not sure which are compatible.

Please help, lots of thanks to everyone in advance.

I've just reinstalled the flash plugin on my MBP.. No issues. Download it from adobe's web site (While you're at it, download the uninstaller too. The new flash plugin fixes a security bug!)

Uninstall the Flash plugin, reboot... Repair permissions, reinstall the flash plugin. It should install for all your browsers.

/Dan

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.