Mastercard tap in TransitLink

vddgnd

Reaction score
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/commuters-can-exit-and-re-enter-rail-system-without-penalty

Is it started now?

So rail to bus or bus to bus grace period 45 minutes.
rail to rail grace period 15 minutes.
bus to rail not sure still 45 minutes or 15 minutes. last time is 45 minutes. I think should be still 45 minutes.
Rail A to bus then rail B ( there is bus trip in between) logically no need keep 15 minutes between rail A and rail B right?
Anyone know?

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my own travel experience ever since the start of the new transfer rules :

Trips between buses : 45min
Trips between MRT and bus : 45min
Trips between different MRT entry and exit stations : 15min

If you do 5 combined bus/MRT trips within 2 hours, it will considered one continuous valid trip provided the following rules are followed :

1. No same bus service number is repeated
2. Grace period between 2 bus trips : 45min
3. Grace period between 1 bus and 1 MRT trip : 45min
4. Grace period between 2 MRT trips (different station entry / exit) : 15min
5. Grace period for transfer between Tampines (EWL) and Tampines (DTL): 15min
6. Grace period for transfer between Newton (NSL) and Newton (DTL): 15min

I have personally try MRT station A exit, waited 40min to take a bus, then entry to MRT station B : considered as one trip.

The only thing I am unsure is if I do a MRT station A exit, take a bus, then do MRT station A entry again, whether it is taken as one trip. I will think that if the "no same bus service number rule" is applied, the 2nd MRT trip should be considered as a new trip.

I have done my best to share based on my personal observations. Any comments welcomed.

vddgnd

Reaction score

If you do 5 combined bus/MRT trips within 2 hours, it will considered one continuous valid trip provided the following rules are followed :

I have personally try MRT station A exit, waited 40min to take a bus, then entry to MRT station B : considered as one trip.

The only thing I am unsure is if I do a MRT station A exit, take a bus, then do MRT station A entry again, whether it is taken as one trip. I will think that if the "no same bus service number rule" is applied, the 2nd MRT trip should be considered as a new trip.

I have done my best to share based on my personal observations. Any comments welcomed.

1. No same bus service number exit then entry even different bus stop
BUT can use same bus service number as long as there is other service number in between.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

silverbomb

Master Member
Reaction score
Ride 1: bus 2
Ride 2: mrt (kallang to lavender)
Ride 3: bus 12
Ride 4: mrt (bugis to city hall)

All within 2 hours, 45 mins transfer between rides. Does it count as a single trip throughout with this new transfer rule?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ride 1: bus 2
Ride 2: mrt (kallang to lavender)
Ride 3: bus 12
Ride 4: mrt (bugis to city hall)

All within 2 hours, 45 mins transfer between rides. Does it count as a single trip throughout with this new transfer rule?
Yes.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2 using GAGT

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just to share, the rides I took yesterday.

I switched back to CEPAS because there's no promotion here for DBS, and I can use top-up of ezlink to add to the minimum spending of $400 for DBS VISA Debit for cashback (ezlink top-up no cashback*).

Based on the new transfer rules, I was able to take 2x train rides + 4x bus rides within 2h. However, I'm surprised that the fare system doesn't restart the billing as I board back and took the reverse direction train.

Even max out the fare system with the $2.08 fare, by travelling way over 50km in total (cap: 43.2km iirc). :s13:

ONX4lbtl.png

The last ride (192) was both ineligible as a transfer ride (6th transfer) and already out of the 2h transfer limit, so it's a brand new ride.

But still, with the new fare system, I've saved about a dollar.
With the old system and previous fare system:
- 974 -> MRT -> 169 -> 171 -> 858: $1.97
- MRT -> 192: $1.88
- Total (Old system): $3.95

- Total (New system): $2.91
- Savings: $1.04
(This is an isolated case of cost saving for me. Most of the time I'm not travelling in this manner, so the $0.06 increase is still a hit.)

Using this loophole, technically people can just alight from the station, take some random bus to another station, then continue second train ride again. This will prolong their ability to stay in either stations for long without paying any penalty.

Last edited:

chiokcc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I won't call it a loop hole. The new transfer rule is designed to give incentives to use bus/MRT.

Also those with knowledge of how the rule works will benefit. Is a case of knowledge saves you money and help you better plan your travel.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I won't call it a loop hole. The new transfer rule is designed to give incentives to use bus/MRT.

Also those with knowledge of how the rule works will benefit. Is a case of knowledge saves you money and help you better plan your travel.
That's true. Knowledge still isn't enough tho, that person must know that it'll take more effort to walk around but will result in time and cost savings. Some people are just too lazy to do it.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I switched back to CEPAS because there's no promotion here for DBS, and I can use top-up of ezlink to add to the minimum spending of $400 for DBS VISA Debit for cashback (ezlink top-up no cashback*).

Based on the new transfer rules, I was able to take 2x train rides + 4x bus rides within 2h. However, I'm surprised that the fare system doesn't restart the billing as I board back and took the reverse direction train.

Even max out the fare system with the $2.08 fare, by travelling way over 50km in total (cap: 43.2km iirc). :s13:

ONX4lbtl.png

The last ride (192) was both ineligible as a transfer ride (6th transfer) and already out of the 2h transfer limit, so it's a brand new ride.

But still, with the new fare system, I've saved about a dollar.
With the old system and previous fare system:
- 974 -> MRT -> 169 -> 171 -> 858: $1.97
- MRT -> 192: $1.88
- Total (Old system): $3.95

- Total (New system): $2.91
- Savings: $1.04
(This is an isolated case of cost saving for me. Most of the time I'm not travelling in this manner, so the $0.06 increase is still a hit.)

Using this loophole, technically people can just alight from the station, take some random bus to another station, then continue second train ride again. This will prolong their ability to stay in either stations for long without paying any penalty.

Wah. You go for joyride ah.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very useful info. When I go temple, take about 30 min. But always no rebate. Now I know it is because I took same bus number back. Next time I take another bus number to save cost.

I observed last time I sometimes don't seem to get rebate when I go bus interchange to change bus. From sbs to smrt. But now less issues coz Yishun a lot of bus change to sbs already.

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Very useful info. When I go temple, take about 30 min. But always no rebate. Now I know it is because I took same bus number back. Next time I take another bus number to save cost.

I observed last time I sometimes don't seem to get rebate when I go bus interchange to change bus. From sbs to smrt. But now less issues coz Yishun a lot of bus change to sbs already.
Any examples or stories to share for the second paragraph? :s31:

tamago_

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

ONX4lbtl.png
Realised that all bus timings are boarding times and all MRT timings are alighting times :o

Means your journey is most likely:
18:10 – 18:41 22509 (Blk 664C) – 44531 (Opp Choa Chu Kang Stn)
18:50 – 19:14 CCK – YIS
19:25 – 19:32 59073 (Northpoint City) – 59079 (Khatib Camp)
19:41 – 19:46 59071 (Opp Khatib Camp) – 59119 (Opp Blk 701A)
19:53 – 20:06 59111 (Blk 701) – 58211 (Sembawang Stn)
Tap in at 20:09 before 2 hours is over
20:11 – 20:39 SBW – JUR
20:41 – 20:51 JUR – PNR
21:06 – 21:10 22529 (Pioneer Stn Exit B) – 22259 (Blk 668D)

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.