Mens Facial Thread...

JustCL

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2017
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
how to close pore? pore tightening

Hi all, I am new to this forum. For pore tightening and pore control, I am using products from this korean brand called MdoC. A wide selection of skincare products for men. Can be purchased online at Zalora or at Tangs VivoCity.
 

triface

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
17
Anyone tried using a vitamin C serum before?

Using the Drunk Elephant C-Firma, which contains 15% L-ascorbic acid (aka LAA), which is a very unstable version of vitamin C, but is supposed to be more potent. Trying it out before I go all-out and get v-beam laser for my red marks.

Dunno psychological effect or what, but only 3 days after using, I see a very small difference already.
 

zeejayUU

Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2015
Messages
242
Reaction score
0
Anyone tried using a vitamin C serum before?

Using the Drunk Elephant C-Firma, which contains 15% L-ascorbic acid (aka LAA), which is a very unstable version of vitamin C, but is supposed to be more potent. Trying it out before I go all-out and get v-beam laser for my red marks.

Dunno psychological effect or what, but only 3 days after using, I see a very small difference already.

on and off...still have my Vit C serum from a while back. Still looks in OK condition.
Been lazy to take care of my skin lately
 

windwalker23

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2017
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Men's Facial Thread

Hi everyone, wanted to thank everyone for all the great info here! Good to see I'm not the only one with bad skin and acne scarring :(

Actually been bothering me for so so long, but finally want to do something about it as I'm going to start working soon and I think first impression very important.

After reading all the posts here, I finally got an appointment with Dr Gary at Gangnam Laser Clinic today evening. Fingers crossed!!!! Haha, don't think i've been excited for a facial before.

Will write a report back here when I can.
 

econbizer

Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2009
Messages
121
Reaction score
0
My aunty intro-ed me to this place at paya lebar area. very good value! a one man show lady selling clothes & doing facial. best of all no package! & no hard sell. 58 for a thorough basic facial! she also does guasha facial. de-clog facial blood vessels that result in wrinkles/ bad skin. I would recommend that you do more than the basic facial

in general, I found that you not only need to have a basic regime of cleansing / washing your face daily, but also take note of the food you eat. some things like black heads / oil clogs you can't remove effectively on your own. you have to go for proper facial

add: place is at city plaza, called mi ni (迷你) beauty level 2, near linkway bridge to 1km mall
 
Last edited:

triface

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
17
it's a first for me on this thread. seemed to be overwhelmed with too many post here. can anyone point me to how to effectively get rid of black heads on the nose area? which specialist should I go to remove them and what kind of treatment should I apply thereafter ?
Blackheads on the nose area are actually not blackheads, but are called sebaceous filaments. You don't have to get any treatment to get rid of them, but you do need to be careful when experimenting with any new skincare products.

Two ways you can remove them: exfoliation and oil cleansing.

I recommend chemical exfoliation in the form of lotions called AHAs (alpha-hydroxy acids) and BHAs (beta-hydroxy acids). Most common type of AHA is glycolic acid, and most common BHA is salicylic acid. Note that salicylic acid is actually included in many beauty products, like soap, presumably for their exfoliative properties (side note: salicylic acid in soaps don't really work very well because the pH level is too high, and because it's not left on your skin long enough). You generally want to make sure you're using a sunscreen when using either: the consensus is that AHA causes photosensitivity while BHA doesn't, but I've found that BHA causes photosensitivity for me too.

I recommend Paula's Choice products because they're available in Singapore (not easily though; you gotta go into town area as that's where they're located). Look for the 2% BHA and 8% AHA. Take note they're a little pricey at about $40-$50 per bottle, so consider getting them used off carousell.

To use these products, cleanse your face, apply them and leave them on for 20 minutes before moisturising. It's up to you if you want to use water to rinse your face before moisturising. Use these products once a day for 2-3 times a week, and slowly build up the frequency. If you see your skin getting shinier and becoming thin and wrinkly (like old people's skin), it means that you're overexfoliated. Lay off the products for a while, then try again.

Oil cleansing refers to introducing an oil-based cleanser before your actual cleanser. The idea is that oil-based cleansers will mix with all the dirt and grime (including the sebaceous filaments) on your face, and then you can wash them off. I recommend using a mineral oil product, as it is the safest oil to use in the sense that they are literally too big to clog your pores (but don't discount the fact that you could be sensitive to mineral oil). Oil cleansers emulsify when they meet water, so you don't have to worry about making a huge mess when you're using these (as compared to straight up oils, which seems to be quite popular in the community).

Hi everyone, wanted to thank everyone for all the great info here! Good to see I'm not the only one with bad skin and acne scarring :(

Actually been bothering me for so so long, but finally want to do something about it as I'm going to start working soon and I think first impression very important.

After reading all the posts here, I finally got an appointment with Dr Gary at Gangnam Laser Clinic today evening. Fingers crossed!!!! Haha, don't think i've been excited for a facial before.

Will write a report back here when I can.

What problems are you looking to solve with Gangnam? I personally went there for 5 sessions of laser to remove my post-acne red marks, but I wasn't happy with the results.
 

HBK

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
1,240
Reaction score
40
Any good travel kit to intro for man?
Was using SK2 but seems like they are not producing anymore men's product in travel kit.

TIA
 

triface

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
17
Any good travel kit to intro for man?
Was using SK2 but seems like they are not producing anymore men's product in travel kit.

TIA

Men and women products are actually the same. No need to specifically look for a men's kit.
 

Deirdre0806

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
What problems are you looking to solve with Gangnam? I personally went there for 5 sessions of laser to remove my post-acne red marks, but I wasn't happy with the results.

So where do you go now to fade the post acne mark?

I have different type of post acne marks, from PIH/PIE to box scars, rolling scars and ice pick scars.

Tried CO2 and Venus Viva RF in Mizu Aestethic clinic last time, did 7 sessions and waste my 2.8K without significant results.

After that I educate myself from many sources, mainly acne.org forum, and now looking for Subcision, TCA CROSS, TCA Peel. Most people mention its more effective and safer compared to laser.

CO2 laser it’s risky if you have skin like me, i have 3 cystic acne post lasers and left with new scars. FML
 

triface

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
17
So where do you go now to fade the post acne mark?

I have different type of post acne marks, from PIH/PIE to box scars, rolling scars and ice pick scars.

Tried CO2 and Venus Viva RF in Mizu Aestethic clinic last time, did 7 sessions and waste my 2.8K without significant results.

After that I educate myself from many sources, mainly acne.org forum, and now looking for Subcision, TCA CROSS, TCA Peel. Most people mention its more effective and safer compared to laser.

CO2 laser it’s risky if you have skin like me, i have 3 cystic acne post lasers and left with new scars. FML
PIH tends to fade way more easily over time. Products like AHA, niacinamide and snail secretion (No, really, it's used in a lot of Asian skincare products lol) help a lot with PIH. I'd say with a stable routine, PIH can be drastically reduced in 2-3 months with only OTC products.

PIE is way more stubborn. I'm still on the hunt for a clinic that has the same philosophy of v-beam as me. I went to the Clifford Clinic yesterday and I was quoted 10 sessions for $2.8k. Based on the research I've done, it should only take up to 3-5 sessions. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Other than that, I'm using azelaic acid and a vitamin C serum to lighten the PIE while I look for a clinic. About 1 month in and I do see some effects. If I had to quantify it, I'd say it's a 20% lightening effect. Who knows, if I take long enough to find a good clinic, they might actually be gone by then lol

Physical scars are very tricky. I actually thought Gangnam's CO2 was okay. I was given a low-powered version because it was an ad-hoc decision by the doctor (ordinarily it would require application of numbing cream which takes 20 minutes), and even then I did see the scabbing and healing of some of the small physical scars I had. It's their treatment of my PIE that left more to be desired.

Despite my disagreement with Clifford's treatment plan, consider trying them, because they have quite a few good reviews. If anything, they feel like a place that can fix you up real good if you're willing to spend the money. I'm not convinced I should spend $2.8k with them because I wanna explore my options first.
 

Deirdre0806

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2017
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I want to share with you guys as well a blog that I found regarding acne scars treatment:

Imhobeautyanalyst.wordpress.com

You can gain more knowledge or better understanding in how scars should be treated, instead go to the clinic directly and accepted whatever the doctor want to offer despite it’s not suitable for your type of scars (like what happened to me).

She also compares the different charges for different treatment in several clinic so you can assess.

I wish I know this type of information before buying package that costs $$$
 

triface

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2007
Messages
601
Reaction score
17
I want to share with you guys as well a blog that I found regarding acne scars treatment:

Imhobeautyanalyst.wordpress.com

You can gain more knowledge or better understanding in how scars should be treated, instead go to the clinic directly and accepted whatever the doctor want to offer despite it’s not suitable for your type of scars (like what happened to me).

She also compares the different charges for different treatment in several clinic so you can assess.

I wish I know this type of information before buying package that costs $$$
Thanks for the heads up. A lot of very good info on there.

I also believe in doing your own research before seeing a dermatologist. I don't necessarily think it's important to try to solve the problem yourself first (if it's serious enough, go see a doctor ASAP!), but it's important to be armed with knowledge. For that matter, /r/SkinCareAddiction and /r/AsianBeauty are treasure troves for skincare information. At no point was I confused by the jargon thrown around by the doctor at Clifford Clinic. With information, you can also clarify anything if you disagree with something that's prescribed to you.
 

GGGGGG

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2010
Messages
5,162
Reaction score
19
Saw this product on Facebook: http://www.praventac.com/home/index.php

Does this product really work? Wondering anyone of you taking this product.

It was the ingredient is lactoferrin; like this maybe I should get lactoferrin supplements will suffice from iHerbs? Cheaper than Praventac.

Anyone used them before?
 

netzach

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
40,529
Reaction score
3,165
Tried CO2 and Venus Viva RF in Mizu Aestethic clinic last time, did 7 sessions and waste my 2.8K without significant results.

7 sessions of Co2 and RF with no visible significant results is an absolute waste of money, time and taking on any additional risks man. Basket.

Hope you’ll find a suitable treatment soon! Good luck and best wishes!

:s12:
 

5408854088

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 3, 2007
Messages
32,039
Reaction score
29
got recommendations for eye brow grooming? just to look neat by removing stray hair.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top