Mental illness

liksome56

Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2013
Messages
420
Reaction score
129
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...
 

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
35,307
Reaction score
7,841
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...
Lemme guess... he/she suffers from OCD?
 

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
35,307
Reaction score
7,841
Oh...nope... Keep thinking someone in the dark trying to harm them
When I was a young kid, I kept thinking I could see "things" in the dark in my bedroom and got quite frightened but somehow I grew out of it... how long has she/he been having this fear?
 
Last edited:

Jiaksemo

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2023
Messages
312
Reaction score
222
Unfortunately some do not feel they have something wired wrongly within themselves. I tried to register family counselling tgt, hoping to pull in the person of concern. But was told that I need consent of everyone to do that. Sigh.. didn’t go in the end. Quarrels never stop even for little things like clothes dropped on the floor by accident or meat pieces got too small for her.

I gave up basically as I moved out of the house.
 

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
35,307
Reaction score
7,841
Unfortunately some do not feel they have something wired wrongly within themselves. I tried to register family counselling tgt, hoping to pull in the person of concern. But was told that I need consent of everyone to do that. Sigh.. didn’t go in the end. Quarrels never stop even for little things like clothes dropped on the floor by accident or meat pieces got too small for her.

I gave up basically as I moved out of the house.
Sounds like OCD?
 

FORSTA

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2012
Messages
1,591
Reaction score
939
maybe you can discreetly check what they are doing behind closed doors like internet history, the people they are interacting with etc.. usually the root cause of such behavior need to be find out first rather than just diagnosing it as some kind of mental illness.
theres always a root cause for such problem. mental illness dont just develop out of the blue
 

ribena.bing

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2024
Messages
8,229
Reaction score
7,729
rather than assume its due to her being mentally unsound, maybe seek a temple medium, or bring her to one.

just because you dont see anything doesnt mean there isn't.

once you see a few different places and rule it out fully, maybe that can help reassure her too?
 

MizunoVolley

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
8,306
Reaction score
5,916
Oh...nope... Keep thinking someone in the dark trying to harm them
U better be able to somehow get them to mental health institute by any means else later like the recent daughter kill dad scenario, daughter keep thinking dad want to kill her so she better kill dad first
 

Rotikiaz

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2025
Messages
61
Reaction score
40
How do you convince a family member to see a mental doctor when they claim they are ok? I have try to soft-spoke that they seem unsound but was upright rejected/refused for few times... Any edmw with such situation?

It's tiring as caregiver to try to assure them it's ok and keep hearing about their fear daily...

my hairdresser was like that when she was in her early 50s
she operates a homebased salon, went for haircut and she kept telling me that she heard voices asking her to die so as to protect her family members, i got to know she passed away 1+ month later.

since she was in her early 50s, i suspect it may be due to part of her peri/menopause symptoms.
pls try your best to bring your family member to see a doctor
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top