Microsoft Surface

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the surface really that good? Lots of normal windows software are not compatible for it and u can only find limited software on the marketplace.

It cant replace a laptop still, i sold my surface 2 less than 3 days after trying to install the normal windows app for it.

Perhaps i demand too much on their product.

Are you referring to Windows RT? SP3 runs the normal Windows 8.1 that you see in other notebooks so it is 100% compatible as the others.

Apparatus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Re

just my view point, i believe the surface pro 3 case was design with broadwell chip(5th gen) in mind, but delay by intel, and not wanting to missed the back to school season, ms plug in the haswell(4th gen) instead.

that is why all this heat issues. but actually the i3 y series, at 11.5W seems to match the case better. (which the 5th gen i5/i7 chip might be at the same level)

so, best future proofing is buying the specs of what you need now, save the money, when the new pro 4 comes, n ur future needs comes, the money saved can be use to buy the next one instead.

selling features of pro 3 is screen n kickstand, not the processor.

just my 2 little cents... which i might be wrong and you are right. Be happy...

You think the next MS SP 4 will not have its own set of problems? If MS will to release one SP per year then 2 or 3 years later I'll get the SP 5 or 6, ok?

expositox

Reaction score
Is the surface really that good? Lots of normal windows software are not compatible for it and u can only find limited software on the marketplace.

It cant replace a laptop still, i sold my surface 2 less than 3 days after trying to install the normal windows app for it.

And here with have another confused customer thanks to Microsoft's decision to come up with a crippled version of Windows..

Surface Pro 1, 2, 3 runs the full Windows 8.1, just like any other computers and can install .exe and alternative browsers, etc.

Surface RT and Surface 2 both run Windows RT, which is basically a slimmed version of full W8.1 and is meant to be a tablet OS with functionality of that of a desktop. Cheap cheap (compared to Surface Pros) but can only install apps from the Store and run Microsoft Office apps.

Last edited:

Mikiberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Product Name: Microsoft Complete Warranty Protection for Surface Pro

I bought the above. it's not for Surface pro 3 ???

If it is 150 USD then it is correct liao.

I can't buy cos of the following:
We have identified the reason why you don't get an option to purchase MS complete online. This is because your current address on your profile is in Singapore and the official launch of surface pro3 is on August 28. During that time you can already purchae MS complete for your device using the Singapore address. But if you want to purchase the plan now we can also do that. But we have to use a US address. Then after that we can change it back to a singapore address.

benmsw

Reaction score
Based on my conversations with microsoft, the default warranty for the surface pro is 2 years. The full protection extends the warranty by another year and would also encompass accidental damage.

But from what I know, the full support for the surface pro 3 is not out yet. Will only be out after the 28th of August. Also, you will still be applicable to purchase the full protection 45 days after the 28th of August(Assuming that you had ordered online).

This information was whatever that was conveyed to me by Microsoft's staff

miragez

Reaction score
And here with have another confused customer thanks to Microsoft's decision to come up with a crippled version of Windows..

Well we cannot blame consumers, Microsoft wants to hits to markets... firstly the tablet market as not many people would want the full windows experience but only office .... second the laptop market...

Are you referring to Windows RT? SP3 runs the normal Windows 8.1 that you see in other notebooks so it is 100% compatible as the others.

I agree, all the RT windows does not runs on intel processor hence... do not expect x86 or x64 to work on it in the first place......

tspurs

Reaction score
Well we cannot blame consumers, Microsoft wants to hits to markets... firstly the tablet market as not many people would want the full windows experience but only office .... second the laptop market...

I agree, all the RT windows does not runs on intel processor hence... do not expect x86 or x64 to work on it in the first place......

Microsoft added to the confusion by creating a version of Office for RT that looked like the Desktop version. That gave people the impression that machines like Surface 2 could run desktop apps.

They should instead have come up with a touch-based version of Office to run on RT, to pair up with the Surface 2. Instead, they came up with a touch version for Ipad. Talk about cannibalizing their own...

icyflame

Master Member
Reaction score
~大.芒.果~;88008883 said:
Almost everything made in china nowadays what...even apple products.

Got my tracking number and details too, can't wait ^_^

Got my tracking number yesterday too but nothing at DHL until today. Hope we can get it earlier.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The HWZ review is very positive about the Surface Pro 3... the only issue is the price... it's really quite expensive...

maumu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The HWZ review is very positive about the Surface Pro 3... the only issue is the price... it's really quite expensive...

which is why i'm not buying the i7 model. not even 256gb ssd. it's coming with haswell, and not broadwell, so in a few months' time our pro 3 will be somewhat obsolete again... so, there's really no point getting the high end models.

for something which is practically a laptop, the price is alright i find, for i5/128 that is.

evershineoptical

Reaction score
~大.芒.果~;88008883 said:
Almost everything made in china nowadays what...even apple products.

Got my tracking number and details too, can't wait ^_^

Made in china not necessarily a bad thing if the quality is properly controlled. Sometimes a product of the same brand can be made in china and made in say some european country like italy, france , germany. Those made in china tends command a lower premium. Quality wise there might be some differences too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.