Microsoft Surface

watchlor

Reaction score
$393 for Surface RT with type cover, good deal ? Considering a new Surface is coming out soon ?

Considering that too. But depends on individual budget :s22: the new surface with type cover will be at least 1k :s22:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I doubt they will price the surface pro 2 very high. It's only rumored to be 10" + 128gb ssd so anything above 1.5k would be ludicrous.

u dont forget we r talking about greedy microsoft here

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
u dont forget we r talking about greedy microsoft here

Greedy? Maybe in the 90's when they have no competitions. But ever since the Antitrust ruling in early 2000, MS has been compliant. I think the prices are fair when you consider the breadth & depth of features that their products offer these days.

In case you're not aware, Microsoft spent the most amount of $ on R&D compared to most other tech companies.

For example, the magnesium alloy used in Surface products is very expensive to manufacture. Which is why all Ultrabook these days that use Magnesium alloy are still priced >$2000.

gundam77

Reaction score
Hi, am keen in the Education Offer Promotion for the Surface RT, if anyone can help to buy via this promotion, can kindly drop me a PM, thanks.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Greedy? Maybe in the 90's when they have no competitions. But ever since the Antitrust ruling in early 2000, MS has been compliant. I think the prices are fair when you consider the breadth & depth of features that their products offer these days.

In case you're not aware, Microsoft spent the most amount of $ on R&D compared to most other tech companies.

For example, the magnesium alloy used in Surface products is very expensive to manufacture. Which is why all Ultrabook these days that use Magnesium alloy are still priced >$2000.
I'm pretty sure most consumers do not give 2 hoots about whether it's fair or not to Microsoft as long as we're not paying too much for anything. :D

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure most consumers do not give 2 hoots about whether it's fair or not to Microsoft as long as we're not paying too much for anything. :D

True. Which is why more people are buying licensed Windows 7, compared to the wild west Windows 95 days if you know what I mean. ;)

Even Office 2010 sold a lot better than Office 2000/XP.

I'm hearing many people going for Office 365 Home Premium as well. Myself included. :)

chows99

Reaction score
Yah alot staff, students n profs buy. I think its more than 200 sets from the crowd. 1 yr warranty including cover

saljiputeh

Banned
Reaction score
Searching high and low for a surface pro 2 competitor so I can expand my buying options. Seems like surface is the only tablet with magnesium alloy at this price range.

Even the 11" vaio tap is made of plastic :(

1-VAIO_Tap_11_White__2_.jpg

otaku7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i saw this when IFA was on.
quite impressed with it.
but the keyboard/cover seems way too flimsy to me.
slight push/nudge and the cover will disconnect.

Lumizi

Reaction score
Anyone has good surface rt accessories to recommend?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Searching high and low for a surface pro 2 competitor so I can expand my buying options. Seems like surface is the only tablet with magnesium alloy at this price range.

Even the 11" vaio tap is made of plastic :(

1-VAIO_Tap_11_White__2_.jpg

Wow! Looks nice!

But you're right, plastic wouldn't last 2 years if you're always bringing it out.

My Fujitsu is 7 years old & still got people ask me if it's 1 year old.

Too bad the Surface is not upgradable, else I'd just buy an i5-4250U Processor & lap it in.

ashiki

Reaction score
NUS Order

does anyone know when will the next batch of NUS order be delivered?

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Microsoft will be aannouncing surface 2 and surface pro 2 on Monday 1030 eastern time (2230 sg time)

gibson7

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
things to expect:

Microsoft Surface 2 debut: Pricing, specs, and other info - CNET Mobile

Monday, September 23, Microsoft will be launching (but not shipping) its next-generation Surface tablets at an invitation-only event in New York City.

In the past few weeks, lots of leaks have revealed much of what's expected to debut at the launch. Though Microsoft officials haven't commented on or confirmed these specs, I've heard and seen information that leads me to believe they are correct.

The new Surfaces are going to look almost identical to the current Surfaces, as they are going to use the same 10.6-inch screens and VaporMg casing and be compatible with the same snap-on keyboard/covers the current Surfaces use.

They will have the same number of USB ports and they won't support LTE, just Wi-Fi. The Surface 2, the successor to Surface RT, will be an ARM-based (Tegra 4) tablet with an estimated eight hours of battery life. It will feature a new ClearType full HD display, the one that debuted on the Surface Pro earlier this year. The Surface Pro 2, the successor to the Surface Pro, will run an Intel Core i5-based Haswell processor, and allegedly get seven hours of battery life instead of just four to five hours.

Windows SuperSite editor Paul Thurrott has the full list of expected Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 specs, including weight, thickness, ports, and so on.

The more interesting part of Monday's Surface launch, in my view, will be the new Surface peripherals. In spite of Microsoft's claims last year that the company had no intentions of making a Surface Pro docking station, they built one. The new Surface docking station is expected to work with Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 models only. It is expected to include one USB 3 and three USB 2 ports, according to leaks.

And the expected Surface Power Cover -- a thicker version of the Surface Type cover/keyboard, is coming, too. This cover will include a built-in battery that will extend the battery life of Surface Pro and Surface Pro 2 devices by some (still unknown) amount. I'm expecting new Touch and Type covers in a variety of colors at Monday's launch, too.

What about pricing and availability?
There are two big questions going into Microsoft's Surface 2 launch: Device availability and pricing. Obviously, Microsoft executives aren't commenting on either.

I've heard from one of my sources who has been in the loop on Surface information (and asked to remain anonymous) that both the Surface 2 and Surface Pro 2 may be generally available on or around October 22 -- right around the time*Windows 8.1 is generally available, which is October 18.

I don't know if Microsoft will take preorders. I also don't have any information as to what the international and/or reseller distribution strategies look like. Microsoft was slow to make the first-generation Surfaces available outside the U.S. I am not sure what's changed in the company's distribution plans or capabilities on that front.

According to my source, it sounds like there are no huge price cuts in the works, which will surely disappoint those who've been expecting the so-so reception of first-generation Surfaces to have made Microsoft rethink its Surface pricing.

The aforementioned source told me Microsoft is planning to continue to sell its first-generation Surfaces alongside its new Surfaces. The supposed plan is to keep Surface RT pricing at its current level ($350 for the 32GB model*with no cover included) and introduce the 32GB Surface 2 at $500. A 64GB Surface 2 will start at $600, the source said.

The Surface Pro will continue to start at $800. Surface Pro 2 will start at $900 for a 64GB version, according to the aforementioned source. There will be 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models available at $1,000, $1,300, and $1,700, respectively, according to this source.

Touch and Type covers are still going to be priced separately, from what I've heard, as will the docking station.

I initially shared some of this pricing information as my "Rumor of the Week" on yesterday's recording of Windows Weekly (as some eagle-eared live listeners heard).

Keep in mind, this pricing and availability information is from one source only. The actual pricing/availability -- if Microsoft announces that information on Monday -- may be different.

Monday's Surface 2 event won't be streamed live, according to Microsoft. But I'll be filing and blogging from it for CNET sister site ZDNet, starting around 10:30 a.m. ET on September 23. CNET, too, will be live-blogging the event. Also: The Surface team will be doing a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) on September 23 at 3 p.m. EST, as well, where anyone can submit questions.

saljiputeh

Banned
Reaction score
According to my source, it sounds like there are no huge price cuts in the works, which will surely disappoint those who've been expecting the so-so reception of first-generation Surfaces to have made Microsoft rethink its Surface pricing.

The aforementioned source told me Microsoft is planning to continue to sell its first-generation Surfaces alongside its new Surfaces. The supposed plan is to keep Surface RT pricing at its current level ($350 for the 32GB model*with no cover included) and introduce the 32GB Surface 2 at $500. A 64GB Surface 2 will start at $600, the source said.

The Surface Pro will continue to start at $800. Surface Pro 2 will start at $900 for a 64GB version, according to the aforementioned source. There will be 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models available at $1,000, $1,300, and $1,700, respectively, according to this source.

Touch and Type covers are still going to be priced separately, from what I've heard, as will the docking station.

I initially shared some of this pricing information as my "Rumor of the Week" on yesterday's recording of Windows Weekly (as some eagle-eared live listeners heard).

If this is true, microsoft must be high on drugs. Same launch price as previous year and worse still the keyboard will still be sold separately. Seems you guys are right about microsoft being greedy again.

Not sure who is gonna spend over 2000 SGD for a 256gb/512gb surface
pro 2 with a 10" screen. And this is excluding the new power up battery accessory they are talking about.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.