Microsoft Surface

ThePhantom

Reaction score
Im still torn between RT and Pro! I like the mobility of RT but am concerned with the Tegra 3 performance from online reviews. Though I must say that when I played around with the Asus VivoTab RT, I didnt notice any significant lags.

yantao

Master Member
Reaction score
Get pro for a real tablet/laptop experience. Android or iPad for light usage.

brightangelus

Reaction score
Im still torn between RT and Pro! I like the mobility of RT but am concerned with the Tegra 3 performance from online reviews. Though I must say that when I played around with the Asus VivoTab RT, I didnt notice any significant lags.

There isn't. The lag issue is really overblown.

I have no problems with performance. Only reason I want a pro is because I'm itchy.

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
There isn't. The lag issue is really overblown.

I have no problems with performance. Only reason I want a pro is because I'm itchy.

There IS lag on some applications. I'm not sure if its because it was implemented as a HTML5 conversion (I'm making a guess that it was implemented as such), but the games Where's My Perry and Cut the Rope have very obvious lag when compared to their Android and iOS counterparts.

However, games like Radiant Defense or Robotek have no such lag, so its very possible that its a software issue.

News Apps / Youtube / etc. are fine however. I just wish I could choose a browser other than IE :s22:

es0teric

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can this also install steam? And what does "slate" refer to?

Last edited:

ashhong

Reaction score
There IS lag on some applications. I'm not sure if its because it was implemented as a HTML5 conversion (I'm making a guess that it was implemented as such), but the games Where's My Perry and Cut the Rope have very obvious lag when compared to their Android and iOS counterparts.

However, games like Radiant Defense or Robotek have no such lag, so its very possible that its a software issue.

News Apps / Youtube / etc. are fine however. I just wish I could choose a browser other than IE :s22:

html5 is always less efficient than native code. But cut the rope isn't lagging on my pc

masotime

Master Member
Reaction score
html5 is always less efficient than native code. But cut the rope isn't lagging on my pc

On your PC? Did you mean your Surface RT? Generally my main point is that the Tegra 3 can't run the HTML5 based Cut the Rope without lag, i.e. there *is* lag. Or you really don't have lag on Cut the Rope on your Surface RT?

ashhong

Reaction score
On your PC? Did you mean your Surface RT? Generally my main point is that the Tegra 3 can't run the HTML5 based Cut the Rope without lag, i.e. there *is* lag. Or you really don't have lag on Cut the Rope on your Surface RT?

the last i tried it on the surface rt, it wasn't lagging on me. wasn't so sure now

yogam1

Reaction score
Hey Yogam, these MiFi will work when connected thru WiFi but wouldn't work via USB. Management is web-based so definitely no problem.

Thanks, that clears my doubt. But still wondering if I should invest 100+ $ if the demand is not too high to use it :)

yogam1

Reaction score

I dont see much of lag, or to put it right, dont see a lag when using on Surface RT.

Yogam.

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that clears my doubt. But still wondering if I should invest 100+ $ if the demand is not too high to use it :)
If that's e case, buy a battery pack and use your Lumia 900 as MiFi. Switch your mobile plan to a smartphone plan for higher data cap.

SecretAgent

Banned
Reaction score
I use my galaxy nexus Bluetooth tethering with surface... Save battery life compare to using wifi tethering while enjoy total mobility Internet.

supergmail

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's a jailbreak available now btw, you can unlock the Surface RT to run any Win32/desktop apps as long as it have been recompiled to ARM.

screenshot8dy.png

[Release] RT Jailbreak Tool - xda-developers
Desktop apps ported to Windows RT - xda-developers

Just remember to disable Windows update via RegEdit and only update things selectively when needed. Microsoft may patch this soon.

--

Just did a few tweaks to the home screen too, with 4 grid of tiles instead of 3. :D
wp20130111.jpg

I wasn't able to buy from Microsoft store for some reason.. it kept rejecting my credit card despite having a valid info + vPost account. Expansys works anyway, I got it within 2 days after paying.

does any know how to we re-compile the program to ARM?

condition_zero

Reaction score
Microsoft says that win 8 pro will use up 43gb of hdd. Does the surface pro allow software installation onto the microsd? Will the performance be affected?

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
like that not consider jail break. i thought can just installed eby converting it via a program......
That's your misunderstanding then....their interpretation of jailbreak means to run code on it that MS didn't allow them to aka apps that ain't from the Windows Store.

Unless your idea of JB means to run apps that isn't meant for the platform, like running Android apps on a JB-ed iphone. :D

Surface RT tablet with ARM processors of course runs apps that are compiled for ARM, right?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.