Microsoft Surface

Chee_Hian

Reaction score
That's unfortunate! Hopefully today they'll be more fair and efficient like what i've experienced. They have a third party company helping with the after sales support (Jabil Circuit SG)

I dun think Apple gives you a new unit when you go RMA. Most of the manufacturers give refurbished replacements i think.

keitaro123

Reaction score
Just to share this experience that i had when i was shopping for my surface tablet yesterday at challenger AMK.

I have already intended to get the surface tablet but i am not comfortable with the price of the touch pad case of the surface RT. So, i asked the sales person if i could use other BT keyboard for the surface tablet. I was holding the logetic bt keyboard that states it supports the rt while asking him.

The reply i got was a straight no. He mentioned that the keyboard can be used with other tablets but not the surface RT tablet. He even went to the extend to say that he have tested out the device and he can cfm that its not working. When i asked if i have other alternative for the keyboard, he straight away said no, he wants me to get the touch cover.

I was very puzzled by his answer and went out of the store to clear my mind. After 30 min, i went back again, this time, served by another sales person. When asked the same question, he told me that the BT keyboard is supported. I quoted his word and made the purchase.

Everything is working fine with the logitech keyboard and i am a happy surface user now.

echoblue

Reaction score
1st off, welcome to the club!
2nd, the audacity of that 1st salesperson. Wow, so confident. Good thing you didn't fell for it and was not put off with his/her intentional stupidity. :s22:

Just to share this experience that i had when i was shopping for my surface tablet yesterday at challenger AMK.

I have already intended to get the surface tablet but i am not comfortable with the price of the touch pad case of the surface RT. So, i asked the sales person if i could use other BT keyboard for the surface tablet. I was holding the logetic bt keyboard that states it supports the rt while asking him.

The reply i got was a straight no. He mentioned that the keyboard can be used with other tablets but not the surface RT tablet. He even went to the extend to say that he have tested out the device and he can cfm that its not working. When i asked if i have other alternative for the keyboard, he straight away said no, he wants me to get the touch cover.

I was very puzzled by his answer and went out of thestore to clear my mind. After 30 min, i went back again, this time, served by another sales person. When asked the same question, he told me that the BT keyboard is supported. I quoted his word and made the purchase.

Everything is working fine with the logitech keyboard and i am a happy surface user now.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I was very puzzled by his answer and went out of the store to clear my mind. After 30 min, i went back again, this time, served by another sales person. When asked the same question, he told me that the BT keyboard is supported. I quoted his word and made the purchase.

since u buying RT, i would have thought that you will be more knowledgeable that those salesperson.

anyway, which logitech BT keyboard u hoot?
how muchie is the keyboard.
n why did u not get the MS BT keyboard?
what about BT mouse, did u get that?

bedlamite

Reaction score
I guess the touch keyboard was over his budget?

The keyboard accessories are indeed crazy expensive, but they are well worth it, IMO. Well at least the Touch keyboard is. Integrating a keyboard with the front flap is a genius move, of course any BT keyboard works just as well but you lose the ultraportability of the touch/type keyboard+surface combo.

victorchoo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I bought MS with the type cover. Played around with the display type and touch cover. Preferred the feel of a conventional tactile KB and its mobility over BT KB. And once a again, it's personal preference...

And btw, does anyone have any recommendation for a good screen protector? Eagerly looking for one currently.

echoblue

Reaction score
I bought MS with the type cover. Played around with the display type and touch cover. Preferred the feel of a conventional tactile KB and its mobility over BT KB. And once a again, it's personal preference...

And btw, does anyone have any recommendation for a good screen protector? Eagerly looking for one currently.

Or go to Adix82 (search for him at facebook for the complete address). his shop is located at Burlington square. he can install the SP for you (believe me it's not easy!) for just 12$ (choice of clear or matte). Nice fellow

keitaro123

Reaction score
since u buying RT, i would have thought that you will be more knowledgeable that those salesperson.

I am more knowledgeable than the average buyer, tats why i asked if the keyboard is supported, i purposely choose the one that states it supports the RT tablet to ask him. And he mention to me that he tested out the one and was sure it cannot work, thats why i am puzzled.

got this keyboard from logitech , forgot the model name, just some bt tablet keyboard.

did you mean the type cover? its ridiculously overpriced. I am not willing to pay for that. haha..

i figure i did not need a mouse, so i just used got the keyboard instead.

I do agree that the combo of the case keyboard and the tablet is wonderful, but another small keyboard to bring along is not tat bad. haha..

And yes, i am enjoying the new tablet now! haha

zuoom

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So, quick summary from a non surface guy reading all this.

The RT is basically a long battery version. Runs a different kind of OS. No pen. Cheaper. Like a true tablet.

The Pro short battery, runs windows 8 pro, got pen. More expensive. Or in short, it's like a regular laptop but in a tablet. Got mini display port. No idea if the RT does?

bedlamite

Reaction score
So, quick summary from a non surface guy reading all this.

The RT is basically a long battery version. Runs a different kind of OS. No pen. Cheaper. Like a true tablet.

The Pro short battery, runs windows 8 pro, got pen. More expensive. Or in short, it's like a regular laptop but in a tablet. Got mini display port. No idea if the RT does?
Specs are all at the Surface website, but the RT also has mini-DP out

The RT is basically MS's iPad, it runs a cut-down version of Win8 (no domain support, no group policies, you can only install apps via the appstore like similar iOS and Android devices) although WinRT and Win8 have similar UI. 10-hour battery life or thereabouts. You can write on the RT if you'd like, like an iPad, with any capacitive stylus but as the RT doesn't have palm rejection it's a severe pain in the arse doing so

the Pro has the internals of a typical ultrabook (corei5, 4GB RAM, HD4000 onboard graphics, SSD), crammed into a tablet form factor. It's got palm rejection which makes it worlds better for note-taking. Full Win8, which means you're free to install whatever x86 apps you want. Downside is the 4 hour battery and cost(it's about twice as much as the RT, but then again it's an ultrabook squeezed into a tablet. I figure it's worth the price premium)

The Pro's getting a local release in a month or two but IMHO it'll be here too late, Intel's Haswell CPUs are coming to the market soon and they promise vastly reduced battery drain, amongst other things. If the Surfaces get a yearly refresh, the v2 will almost certainly pack a Haswell, which means in about half a year's time you're going to look at your $1.5K Pro and wonder why you didn't wait a few months

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys, don't get too ahead of yourselves here! The Haswell CPU has many version. The Tablet one that has TDP of 10W is the same performance as the current Ivy bridge. But even at 10W, it will only improve overall battery life by maybe half hour of normal usage. It may enable Connected Standby like in RT with even more power states but I think many will switch it off to conserve some battery life.

This means that MS may not even bother with the lower power Haswell, instead they may use the higher power one with HD5xxx GPU for gaming. My guestimate is this new part has the performance of a AMD HD4870 & it may be marketed as a gaming tablet for Xbox.

Or, MS may use Bay Trail with a 40-50% improvement in performance but retain the same power profile to hit that magical 10 hour battery. Or maybe compromise a bit & swap that eMMC with a SLC/MLC NAND SSD for superior HDD performance but sacrifice about 1 hour battery life.

I'm gonna wait for MS to announce Surface 2 before taking the plunge. :)

ashhong

Reaction score

he is just trying to test/having fun with the salesperson.

we love to troll them. i did this quite often at IT Show especially when many are new.

one word: do not fully trust the salesperson

danielpng1

Master Member
Reaction score
One reason why I chose the type cover over the conventional kb, is eliminating the process of having to recharge the BT kb regularly.

The type cover is attached to the surface, and I guess it draws the power off the surface directly, which would be more convenient of charging just 1 device rather than 2.

kekacofmmhkfoll

Suspended
Reaction score

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
Bro, there're 3 versions of Haswell for tablet/laptop. Don't be too happy yet. We dunno which one MS is using.

game goondu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WTF! so ex... there goes my hope of getting the pro and type keyboard for less than $1.6k

According to WPDownUnder, retailers Harvey Norman and JB Hifi have priced the Surface with Windows 8 Pro at AUS$999 for the 64GB model and AUD$1,099 for the 128GB model.

When converted to the U.S. dollar, the 64GB tablet cost $1,015 while the 128GB tablet will be $1,117. The converted prices are a small increase compared to the $899 for the 64GB model and $999 for the 128GB Surface with Windows 8 Pro.

The two Australian retailers apparently are not planning on stocking up large order. One JB Hifi store reportedly only has 13 units on deck while Harvey Norman placed no orders yet.

s-ghost

Honorary Member
Reaction score
still in serious consideration.

anyway...since RT/pro only runs on wi-fi, so what do you guys do while on the go?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.