Microsoft Surface

rollbread

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First time entering this thread. Anybody used this to take notes in ppt slides? Is it easy to do that and easy to write?

kayaker

Reaction score
As if all the recent RT news isn't bad enough? :)

It might get better, but as of now it's sputtering on fumes.

Hmm. To be fair, I actually use my RT a lot more than my pro. The battery life is so much better and much of its out of the box capabilities is already what I needed. Going to lectures, taking notes, while recording the lecture. Definitely not possible on an iPad (currently at least). Outlook is coming, so is an official Facebook app. Hmm, compared to my iPad, I find my RT tablet can do so much more. Only thing is that for web browsing and reading, the iPad aspect ratio is so much better that I prefer the iPad for such tasks.

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
Microsoft is offering universities a special price for the Surface RT tablet for a limited period until 20 September 2013. Please find details of the offer and ordering information as follows.

Surface RT (32GB) - S$266 (estimated retail price is S$488)
Surface RT (32GB) with Touch Keyboard Cover - S$336 (estimated retail price is S$618)
Surface RT (32GB) with Type Keyboard Cover - S$393 (estimated retail price is S$671)

Purchase Instructions
Please bring the completed Microsoft Surface Order Form and a personal cheque to “IT Care @ Computer Centre” during any of the following time slots:
· 26 August 2013 (Mon) between 3.00pm to 6pm

· 28 August 2013 (Wed) between 2.30pm to 6pm

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm. To be fair, I actually use my RT a lot more than my pro. The battery life is so much better and much of its out of the box capabilities is already what I needed. Going to lectures, taking notes, while recording the lecture. Definitely not possible on an iPad (currently at least). Outlook is coming, so is an official Facebook app. Hmm, compared to my iPad, I find my RT tablet can do so much more. Only thing is that for web browsing and reading, the iPad aspect ratio is so much better that I prefer the iPad for such tasks.
I'm pretty sure you're correct, but it still doesn't change the sale figures. :(

junialum

Master Member
Reaction score
RT was way overpriced. It would have sold well at S$299. Low number of apps but MS Office.

SINple

Reaction score
haiz, I would definitely get the RT in nus if i am not a computing student. =X

Then again, whatever the RT has, my android tablet has also. Only thing lacking is a proper powerpoint that can do animation.

rollbread

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haiz, I would definitely get the RT in nus if i am not a computing student. =X

Then again, whatever the RT has, my android tablet has also. Only thing lacking is a proper powerpoint that can do animation.

I think you can just find anyone from nus to help you buy since it doesn't restrict to computing student only.

I'm still considering if I should get it... :s13:

foxbat

Reaction score
Anyone heard the news that the New Surface Gen 2 is being developed?

They are already working on Gen 3. But most probably they`ll name it something else. & obviously priced it beyond making us here in SG to rush out to get one immediately! :o

Kiddream

Master Member
Reaction score
I think he's saying that RT doesn't suit his usage because you can't install windows programs on it, which is what he needs for his course.

I think you can just find anyone from nus to help you buy since it doesn't restrict to computing student only.

I'm still considering if I should get it... :s13:

hafiz91

Master Member
Reaction score
Is there any way for me to get a external battery pack for the microsoft surface pro?

E_T

Master Member
Reaction score
No. I asked around. Noone has made a compatible battery or 3rd-party charger for that matter. It's completely proprietary & it's possible that charging port has a serial comm port for the charger to talk to the mainboard on the Surface.

KillerKidz

Master Member
Reaction score
my school has finally released information on Surface RT today.

Thinking of buying it for work purposes. Any folks using it to read ebooks / notes on the go? Is it good?

ZhuPaJian

Master Member
Reaction score
Is it good? I went and tried the demo set. Was not really I impressed by the user interface. The lack of app is really a turn off factor for me. RiGht now, I am contemplating whether to get the nexus 7 or rt

xheavenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is it good? I went and tried the demo set. Was not really I impressed by the user interface. The lack of app is really a turn off factor for me. RiGht now, I am contemplating whether to get the nexus 7 or rt

depends on your usage ba. Main point for RT is the Full Internet Browser and Full office and good battery life. and yes, main issue is the lack of app :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.