MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunzlunz

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2011
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Nah not possible. People from other ISPs had no problems. Only started happening to us since 19th oct and only MR Gamer users in my guild of 150 pax. The blogs are addressing people primarily in EU because it's known they've had problems.

So far I have 1 starhub user and ~10 mr gamer users having these issues. Surprisingly a mr non-gamer is doing fine.
 

Phoenix12

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Can you guys akchewlee tell the difference from say a download speed of 20Mbps and say 70 Mbps without the check with speedtest.net.

Just asking because my FREE Starhub Hub station 1Mbps gives me all I need without any buffering when surfing, watching youtube or even watching old US and UK TV shows over the net.
In fact yesterday I was watching House of Cards in one room and my missus was watching Downton Abbey simultaneously in another room with no buffering or problems whatsoever.

I don't game at all though.
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
Can you guys akchewlee tell the difference from say a download speed of 20Mbps and say 70 Mbps without the check with speedtest.net.

Just asking because my FREE Starhub Hub station 1Mbps gives me all I need without any buffering when surfing, watching youtube or even watching old US and UK TV shows over the net.
In fact yesterday I was watching House of Cards in one room and my missus was watching Downton Abbey simultaneously in another room with no buffering or problems whatsoever.

I don't game at all though.

1) If you download updates like new iOS / Andriod updates via Wi-Fi or even some Windows / Office Service Packs and such where the file size is in few hundred MBs, it matters.

2) If everyone stream (HD) videos at the same time. Example: Daddy stream WWE, Mummy watch Korean drama, Grandpa / Grandma watch Taiwanese drama, Childrens all watch different animes all at the same time.

3) Gaming does not need like more than 10Mbps speed. They need more concern on latency (ping) whereby it matters more like should I use PIE from Changi to Tuas or do I drive from Changi -> Yishun -> Mandai -> CCK -> Jurong West -> Tuas as faster route.
 

Phoenix12

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
1) If you download updates like new iOS / Andriod updates via Wi-Fi or even some Windows / Office Service Packs and such where the file size is in few hundred MBs, it matters.

I'm overseas for 6 months so when I return I have to update all my stuff.
On my 1 Mbps download speed it may take me an hour or so. When I'm in Singapore any updates take me a few minutes. No problem with this.

2) If everyone stream (HD) videos at the same time. Example: Daddy stream WWE, Mummy watch Korean drama, Grandpa / Grandma watch Taiwanese drama, Childrens all watch different animes all at the same time.

As I said when me and my missus stream TV shows simultaneously we have no problem on our 1 Mbps connection. Btw I use a wired connection and the missus uses a wifi connection, makes no difference, no problem with either.

Are we lucky or what?


.

I've been thinking about a faster fiber connection, just to be one of the macho boys:s13::s13: but just can't be convinced that it'll give me anything better than I have with my free 1 Mbps connection.


Just for completeness:


http://www.speedtest.net/result/3046625464.png
 
Last edited:

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419

I've been thinking about a faster fiber connection, just to be one of the macho boys:s13::s13: but just can't be convinced that it'll give me anything better than I have with my free 1 Mbps connection.


Just for completeness:


http://www.speedtest.net/result/3046625464.png

Honestly speaking, Youtube's minimum requirement for HD is like 1Mbps or more.

So long as SCV don't throttle the already bare minimum 1Mbps speed, basic use is fine since you don't torrent and such or use NAS stuffs.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,288
Ya around 1.4MB/s is enough to stream in HD..
so for fibre connections, it's more of other problems rather then the speed.
Also i hope people get their upper case and lower case "b" correct to avoid causing confusion ^^, just saying it =:p
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
Ya around 1.4MB/s is enough to stream in HD..
so for fibre connections, it's more of other problems rather then the speed.
Also i hope people get their upper case and lower case "b" correct to avoid causing confusion ^^, just saying it =:p

1Mbps is the bare minimum for Youtube:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/78358?hl=en-GB

Having 8X speed faster 1Mbps aka 1MBps is certainly better.

Nowadays the plan are around 100Mbps or 200Mbps which is like 12.5MB/s or 25MB/s

Useful for accessing NAS, where ADSL / Cable speed is not enough.
 

tree

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
589
Reaction score
0
(Signup through any MyRepublic Authorized Partners here, and you will get full customer service support when you need it most. Customers cannot do anything to assist another customer in terms of service support.)

Am still waiting for my torrent issue to be resolved since early last week..
private torrents are still crawling at KB/s when it should be mb/s.. :s11:
 

Phoenix12

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
Ya around 1.4MB/s is enough to stream in HD..
so for fibre connections, it's more of other problems rather then the speed.
Also i hope people get their upper case and lower case "b" correct to avoid causing confusion ^^, just saying it =:p
I didn't get my 'b's confused, did I???

I also noted the speed test result.
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
I didn't get my 'b's confused, did I???

I also noted the speed test result.

All ISP speed are in small 'b' and almost, if not all download managers, including the browser default one measure download speed by big 'B'.

As for normal file explorer when showing a particular file size, it is also in big 'B'.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,034
Reaction score
8,288
sorry man, i was actually referring to twitch coz it was lagging =(.
for youtube i think 1Mbps just hef to wait it load man, i don't think it's possible to livestream HD with that speed.
 

ussr_1991

Banned
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
5,460
Reaction score
419
sorry man, i was actually referring to twitch coz it was lagging =(.
for youtube i think 1Mbps just hef to wait it load man, i don't think it's possible to livestream HD with that speed.

There is somebody else done the homework and find that Singtel MioTV HD needs around 13 Mbps to work.


http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/08/06/my-singtel-experience/

So yes, 1Mbps or anything under 6Mbps (But above 512kbps) is good enough to watch video in Youtube.

However, to load things live, sorry, that's where only proper Cable plan like 25Mbps or above can work well and forget about ADSL which is hopeless as the distance between the unit to the exchange matters and hence it is a YMMV issue (But since when any Stinktel stuff is good?).
 

Phoenix12

Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2005
Messages
182
Reaction score
0
sorry man, i was actually referring to twitch coz it was lagging =(.
for youtube i think 1Mbps just hef to wait it load man, i don't think it's possible to livestream HD with that speed.
I don't have to wait while watching youtube.

I don't have to wait while streaming live sport.

I don't have to wait while watching US or UK TV programmes either wifi or wired on Two outlets simultaneously.

All on my 1 Mbps non fiber feed.
 

micheloving

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2009
Messages
7,355
Reaction score
1
How to check when your contract details like start and ending date ?I lost the fricking contract paper.

I saw the $38.88/mth(ASUS N15U Router) PURE offer and mine is $46.70/mth(wth e9850) PURE cause I signed up earlier ....Feel so sad for myself *_*
 
Last edited:

wc1985

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2004
Messages
9,436
Reaction score
5
How to check when your contract details like start and ending date ?I lost the fricking contract paper.

I saw the $38.88/mth(ASUS N15U Router) PURE offer and mine is $46.70/mth(wth e9850) PURE cause I signed up earlier ....Feel so sad for myself *_*

You can login to myaccount in MyRepublic website to see when your contract started
 

angcsbenny

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2002
Messages
11,386
Reaction score
111
recently i am experiencing extreme slowness to china websites again. anybody experiencing the same?
 

cyberet

Senior Member
Joined
May 28, 2001
Messages
2,497
Reaction score
329
I don't have to wait while watching youtube.

I don't have to wait while streaming live sport.

I don't have to wait while watching US or UK TV programmes either wifi or wired on Two outlets simultaneously.

All on my 1 Mbps non fiber feed.

as more users move away from cable to fibre, you might be experiencing better performance. if you are on a budget, and don't need anything faster, then stay on it

same thing happened when starhub was shifting from Motorola cable modems to docsis cable modems

for me, I need the higher upstream of fibre.
 
Last edited:

nivleK1985

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2005
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
0
Hi guys, if you are experiencing lags in FF do let me know with your customer id, contact info , Nric, the world you are playing on and the dungeons you are affected.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top