MyRepublic fibre - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

func7

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
I am not on gamer plan nor use it before so dont take my word as confirmation. What I am saying to you is that I havent seen anyone commenting positively on the plan just yet.

Ah, okay. Hope someone using the Gamer plan can chime in on US game server pings :)
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Currently, the price of MR's 1Gbps as compared to VQ's 300Mbps is just a $5 difference.

I terminated my 10Mbps ADSL in early march and joined MR on april. Initially, MR's overall network performance and streaming to china was very good.. but it has slid into the gutter now. And all those on the ball MR techies in HWZ were very active before and during the launch of their 1Gbps plan. Now that they have hit the quota for the number of sign-ups, all of them disappear into the Bermuda triangle and occasionally only appear to answer queries (not complaints) and billing issues. I still remember one user complaining that MR DIDN'T bill him for a few months.. And voila, like peanut butter and jelly his "complaint" got rectified really quick :D

I would say since it's only a $5 savings, let VQ earn it. If VQ's customer service is really that good, they deserve more than that. As for me, I'm stuck with the MR shathole for another 18 months..

For some of us its $15 difference. :s13:

With regards to the China website thing there might still be changes, cos for 2 years with them it wasn't bad all the time, there were periods (around months or weeks) of smooth streaming. So don't despair yet. You can also look for alternatives. Xigua.com for example :D

For me, I see it differently.

When MR just started, people including me still jumped ship to join MR despite being more expensive than the Big 3 at the same speed. The differentiation point between MR and the Big 3 is their customer service. MR listen and take in feedback from their customers.

However, the differentiation point is TOTALLY gone today whereby MR staff only appear to answer any billing or signup requests. This makes me feel that MR is no difference from the Big 3 and trying to adopt the same strategy when Starhub just entered the market.

Looking at VQ, they still maintain the standard of customer service since they enter into Singapore market.

I believe people are sharp enough to notice the changes over the years.
 

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2004
Messages
6,334
Reaction score
244
For me, I see it differently.

When MR just started, people including me still jumped ship to join MR despite being more expensive than the Big 3 at the same speed. The differentiation point between MR and the Big 3 is their customer service. MR listen and take in feedback from their customers.

However, the differentiation point is TOTALLY gone today whereby MR staff only appear to answer any billing or signup requests. This makes me feel that MR is no difference from the Big 3 and trying to adopt the same strategy when Starhub just entered the market.

Looking at VQ, they still maintain the standard of customer service since they enter into Singapore market.

I believe people are sharp enough to notice the changes over the years.
Yep when i sign up MR it was because of pp like MarkIP , Lawerence etc. Supporting customer which i felt was great and sign up even tot it is more expensive... now is all gone and left a smelly smelly i will take legal action stuff...plus of cos my stupidity of renewal w them even after seeing so many negative feedback thinking they got a chance of change....

now pp ask i immediately ask them to go VQ , Stinktel or M1. Avoid Suckhub n MR
 

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
How are you guys doing for youku?

Tonight seems good, highest quality wont work without lag now, but 2nd highest quality works fine. However navigating the site is slow, all the thumbnails took a while to load.
 

letonz

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
275
Reaction score
5
How are you guys doing for youku?

Tonight seems good, highest quality wont work without lag now, but 2nd highest quality works fine. However navigating the site is slow, all the thumbnails took a while to load.

Youku totally unable to watch, keep loading endlessly.
 

whoooo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2004
Messages
6,334
Reaction score
244
How are you guys doing for youku?

Tonight seems good, highest quality wont work without lag now, but 2nd highest quality works fine. However navigating the site is slow, all the thumbnails took a while to load.

China stream all dont work......
 

Binaries

Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
418
Reaction score
0
My primary concern is the latency to US game servers. I'm trying to compare the pings local users here get when connecting to US East/West coast gaming servers and was wondering if the MR "Gamer" plan really gives a much lower ping compared to the 300mbps VQ plan. It clams to have custom routing to overseas game servers here: MyRepublic | 1Gbps - The World

I'm currently get around 180-200ms on US servers. Since the pricing of these 2 plans are so similar, I'd like to know which would be better for my purpose. I understand that I wont be hitting the 1Gbps speed for overseas servers but is it much faster than the 300Mbps plan offered by VQ for gaming servers?

Hope more of you who game on US servers can come forward with your real world ping results :)

I am on MR and do not take casual words like oh mine is at 17x mine is at 18x, it varies from users to users. Being with MR for so long and being extremely sensitive to latency changes, I can tell you the upstream that MR uses are.. mehh..

And if you look through the thread enough, you have to factor in the chances of you falling into the category of users having really bad latency. Anyone can paint you a good picture or tell you words you wanna hear but at the end of the day you need to do your own research and weigh in all the pros and cons of a particular ISP you want.

I wouldn't claim have tested all the games out there already but I have certainly played a fair share of games since I joined MR. Dota, League of Legend (US/SG/TW), Heroes of Kingdom, Guildwars2, Tera US/TW, C9, Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Dragon Nest, Dragon Prophet, World of Tanks, Call Of Duty, Battlefield 4, Dayz Standalone, Arma 2, Arma 3, Archeage, APB.

I don't have bad experience for ALL of them but I wouldn't say the experience is the best for a plan that is advertised as 'custom routing and catered purely for gamers".. gimmicks I'd say.

Being on MR I'm supposed to sing their praise and tell you to give them a chance but it would have been against my conscience to do it when in reality they are not doing so well.

Personal experience, VQ(especially with the new dedicated pipes they have to the US) and Singnet both have better and more consistent ping for gaming.

PS: Yes I am on Gamer plan fyi.
 
Last edited:

Just Me

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
14,249
Reaction score
41
How are you guys doing for youku?

Tonight seems good, highest quality wont work without lag now, but 2nd highest quality works fine. However navigating the site is slow, all the thumbnails took a while to load.

On which platform? Windows, iOS or android?
 

Lehnsherr

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2001
Messages
5,312
Reaction score
49
I usually use it with android.. As usual tonight is CMI

Use windows lah. Its still streaming fine right now.. 1124pm liao. :D

Tomorrow onwards weekend best to put it to the test. :s13:

In a twisted kind of pervertic way I find this quite exciting. :s13::s13:
 

SKinny86

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2004
Messages
3,466
Reaction score
304
For me, I see it differently.

When MR just started, people including me still jumped ship to join MR despite being more expensive than the Big 3 at the same speed. The differentiation point between MR and the Big 3 is their customer service. MR listen and take in feedback from their customers.

However, the differentiation point is TOTALLY gone today whereby MR staff only appear to answer any billing or signup requests. This makes me feel that MR is no difference from the Big 3 and trying to adopt the same strategy when Starhub just entered the market.

Looking at VQ, they still maintain the standard of customer service since they enter into Singapore market.

I believe people are sharp enough to notice the changes over the years.

Hi xRenol, :) so much of familiar names 2 years ago. I've already jumped the ship, when are you joining the league? :p
 

xRenol

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2011
Messages
7,232
Reaction score
192
Hi xRenol, :) so much of familiar names 2 years ago. I've already jumped the ship, when are you joining the league? :p

My guess is that you are currently on the "dark" side.

Haha... I still got a longgggg way to go, so just monitor along the way.
 

func7

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
I am on MR and do not take casual words like oh mine is at 17x mine is at 18x, it varies from users to users. Being with MR for so long and being extremely sensitive to latency changes, I can tell you the upstream that MR uses are.. mehh..

And if you look through the thread enough, you have to factor in the chances of you falling into the category of users having really bad latency. Anyone can paint you a good picture or tell you words you wanna hear but at the end of the day you need to do your own research and weigh in all the pros and cons of a particular ISP you want.

I wouldn't claim have tested all the games out there already but I have certainly played a fair share of games since I joined MR. Dota, League of Legend (US/SG/TW), Heroes of Kingdom, Guildwars2, Tera US/TW, C9, Path of Exile, Diablo 3, Dragon Nest, Dragon Prophet, World of Tanks, Call Of Duty, Battlefield 4, Dayz Standalone, Arma 2, Arma 3, Archeage, APB.

I don't have bad experience for ALL of them but I wouldn't say the experience is the best for a plan that is advertised as 'custom routing and catered purely for gamers".. gimmicks I'd say.

Being on MR I'm supposed to sing their praise and tell you to give them a chance but it would have been against my conscience to do it when in reality they are not doing so well.

Personal experience, VQ(especially with the new dedicated pipes they have to the US) and Singnet both have better and more consistent ping for gaming.

PS: Yes I am on Gamer plan fyi.


Thanks for the first hand account of your gaming experience with the MR gamer plan. Seems like it doesn't really provide better latency on overseas game servers as advertised.


Hope things improve for you guys with existing MR contracts! Your feedback is much appreciated in helping me decide on a new ISP contract.
 

misato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,148
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the feedback man! Seems like MR gets around 170, and VQ is around 190 for D3 from the feedback ive got in my thread.

Do let me know if you get a chance to log in later to check today's latency :)

Other users on gamer plan, playing on a US server feel free to add your pings too!

Just checked. The ping is averaging around 17x with the in game latency figure.
Figures are correct as at 1.40am 16 aug 2014, Singapore time.
 

misato

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,148
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the first hand account of your gaming experience with the MR gamer plan. Seems like it doesn't really provide better latency on overseas game servers as advertised.

Hope things improve for you guys with existing MR contracts! Your feedback is much appreciated in helping me decide on a new ISP contract.

On different games, when playing World of Tank Asia, the latency was pretty good as well. If I didn't remember wrongly it was around 27~40ms on average.

Guildwar 2 latency was average, generally smooth but once in a while some lag, no tools to measure actual in game latency so I can't provide any figures.

I don't think I am overly sensitive to latency as I have been gaming online since 33.6K modem days.

On the 1Gbps Gamer plan (don't have the normal plan to test with), download from Steam is pure enjoyment at about 90MB/s.
 

func7

Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2003
Messages
140
Reaction score
0
On different games, when playing World of Tank Asia, the latency was pretty good as well. If I didn't remember wrongly it was around 27~40ms on average.

Guildwar 2 latency was average, generally smooth but once in a while some lag, no tools to measure actual in game latency so I can't provide any figures.

I don't think I am overly sensitive to latency as I have been gaming online since 33.6K modem days.

On the 1Gbps Gamer plan (don't have the normal plan to test with), download from Steam is pure enjoyment at about 90MB/s.



90MB/s dl from steam is indeed impressive!
However, I'm more concerned with in game latency to US game servers, as I usually play on US servers with friends. Thanks for your input as well!
 

shamuslee

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2004
Messages
84,764
Reaction score
3
any good deal now from MR~? :s11:

i wonder if fixing up the bb takes months now~ :
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top