MyRepublic Mobile discussion thread

Jurong640

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2011
Messages
45,353
Reaction score
18,583
just ported back to MR 5G after several months with VIVIFI and SIMBA. Feels good now.
Reason for choosing MR 5G:
1. giga and eight, both are on Starhub network as MR 5G. But both don't support sending global SMS, even if you are in SG. Plus, you must buy a $5 add-on to make IDD calls on giga.
2. VIVIFI customer service is non-existent. There is no live chat, only has email. And they reply your email after a week at least.
3. SIMBA coverage is better than before, but still, much worse than singtel and starhub. Many indoor locations in private buildings, like office buildings, have no indoor antenna, relying on outdoor antennas to broadcast signal inside. Very easy to lose connection.
4. Esim, and 5G SA. Although ZYM provides 5G plan at $15, but there's no esim, and it's NSA. VIVIFI also NSA, and with bad customer service.

Noticed that the previous 3G spectrum used for M1 and Starhub has already been re-farmed to 5G SA. Very fast effort! Making n1 band increase from 15MHz to now 25MHz. Happy that M1 and SH really doing work. Unlike Singtel, still holding onto 3G.
That's fast, the 3G spectrum already refarmed to 5G SA. Better for M1/SH
 

Jirachi

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
55,137
Reaction score
3,182
Has anyone here not able to receive SMS OTP from apps sent out from Google Firebase (GCloudApps SMS header) on MyRepublic 4G (M1 network)?
 

gtggtg

Member
Joined
May 30, 2010
Messages
253
Reaction score
36
I saw today in myrepublic app under services -> change plan got this new cheaper 5G essential plan for 15.95 a month. Same as standard plan except no free 6 month roaming.

i dont see this plan advertised on their website yet though.

i dont use the roaming so i think good plan to switch over for 2 dollar savings a month. They will switch me over on next billing cycle
 

Jirachi

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
55,137
Reaction score
3,182
I saw today in myrepublic app under services -> change plan got this new cheaper 5G essential plan for 15.95 a month. Same as standard plan except no free 6 month roaming.

i dont see this plan advertised on their website yet though.

i dont use the roaming so i think good plan to switch over for 2 dollar savings a month. They will switch me over on next billing cycle
Yup same. I saw this too.
 

StrawberryChris

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 13, 2011
Messages
506
Reaction score
3
Does anyone know how to turn off the auto renewal feature for roaming? Says that I can turn off during purchase or after subscription in the app. During purchase I wasn't able to turn off and can't seem to find the option in the app?
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,560
Reaction score
4,165
Does anyone know how to turn off the auto renewal feature for roaming? Says that I can turn off during purchase or after subscription in the app. During purchase I wasn't able to turn off and can't seem to find the option in the app?
Best to contact CS with such request for documentation.
 

gaoqikai

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2019
Messages
386
Reaction score
236
Has anyone here not able to receive SMS OTP from apps sent out from Google Firebase (GCloudApps SMS header) on MyRepublic 4G (M1 network)?
I'm on 5G plan and I can't receive SMS OTP from a lot of apps recently. Google, FB, shopee, lazada, all cannot. But personal SMS can
 

Jirachi

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
55,137
Reaction score
3,182
I'm on 5G plan and I can't receive SMS OTP from a lot of apps recently. Google, FB, shopee, lazada, all cannot. But personal SMS can
Interesting. I never had this problem when I was with MR 5G which is on the StarHub network. I only have it with M1 network which is MR 4G as mentioned.

I suggest you let MR knows about this. Since your problem is affecting a wide scope. If all fails, port-out.
 

gaoqikai

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2019
Messages
386
Reaction score
236
Interesting. I never had this problem when I was with MR 5G which is on the StarHub network. I only have it with M1 network which is MR 4G as mentioned.

I suggest you let MR knows about this. Since your problem is affecting a wide scope. If all fails, port-out.
I called MR tech support to check.
They asked me to verify whether Google/FB/Shopee did send SMS out correctly . LOL I thought those companies won't entertain such inquiries at all. But I still asked. I asked Lazada and they replied me they did sent SMS out, no problem.

Then next day I feedbacked to MR, they asked me to check with Lazada again, if the SMS really reached MR server. Looks to me like it is MR don't want to do any investigation, but to let my feedback fade away till I don't have patience to deal with them.

I'm not going to check with those companies/merchants any more. If this issue is not resolved, I will port out
 

froztheart

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2012
Messages
9,560
Reaction score
4,165
I called MR tech support to check.
They asked me to verify whether Google/FB/Shopee did send SMS out correctly . LOL I thought those companies won't entertain such inquiries at all. But I still asked. I asked Lazada and they replied me they did sent SMS out, no problem.

Then next day I feedbacked to MR, they asked me to check with Lazada again, if the SMS really reached MR server. Looks to me like it is MR don't want to do any investigation, but to let my feedback fade away till I don't have patience to deal with them.

I'm not going to check with those companies/merchants any more. If this issue is not resolved, I will port out
Don't make sense that specifically you that its not sent out isn't it.
From the looks of it, seems to be an MR issue.
Either CC IMDA in, or port out to not deal with this.
 

lavive_gp

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2010
Messages
208
Reaction score
62
Former MyR mobile customer here. :unsure:before returning, important Q about WiFi Calling:
Can anyone confirm that with VolTE on while roaming abroad, it is possible to make/receive calls for free with VoWIFI when overseas❓
Thanks and happy holidays to you!
 
Last edited:

Jirachi

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
55,137
Reaction score
3,182
I called MR tech support to check.
They asked me to verify whether Google/FB/Shopee did send SMS out correctly . LOL I thought those companies won't entertain such inquiries at all. But I still asked. I asked Lazada and they replied me they did sent SMS out, no problem.

Then next day I feedbacked to MR, they asked me to check with Lazada again, if the SMS really reached MR server. Looks to me like it is MR don't want to do any investigation, but to let my feedback fade away till I don't have patience to deal with them.

I'm not going to check with those companies/merchants any more. If this issue is not resolved, I will port out
Yeah. Looks like MR side that does not want to do the investigation. What I did was port out too. Don’t need to waste time.
 

tuntun

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
922
Reaction score
55
how is the coverage and speed at crowded are for MR 5G service? Throttling better than Zym at crowded area like Bugis and orchard JE areas? I am running service in those field area and sometime cannot access office VPN from mobile to check emails and close / open jobs etc. Tanjong Pager to Tiong Bahru under ground MRT mostly whatsapp with attached files cannot go through till reach redhill station...anyon etried on MR 5G line at those area? how's your feedback? I am using iPhone 15 Pro and IOS 18.2. Thanks
 

ekardo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,808
Reaction score
1,020
how is the coverage and speed at crowded are for MR 5G service? Throttling better than Zym at crowded area like Bugis and orchard JE areas? I am running service in those field area and sometime cannot access office VPN from mobile to check emails and close / open jobs etc. Tanjong Pager to Tiong Bahru under ground MRT mostly whatsapp with attached files cannot go through till reach redhill station...anyon etried on MR 5G line at those area? how's your feedback? I am using iPhone 15 Pro and IOS 18.2. Thanks
for work, pls use Singtel main stream bah. U can claim your company anyway.
 

loganrunning

Master Member
Joined
May 12, 2017
Messages
3,832
Reaction score
2,355
How does MyRepublic Talk App work?

Making calls from the MyRepublic Talk app – either in SG or overseas
If a mobile user uses the app to call a number, the server will check if the recipient is also MyRepublic Talk user and is connected to internet; it will connect to the recipient via MyRepublic Talk.
If the check is negative, the call would be routed and connected via the GSM network.

So if the recipient is not a Talk App user, will it route to data calling instead since GSM is defunct here now? No info on that. Meanwhile, only Simba Call App is the surest solution for non-VoLTE 4G devices if users do not want their devices to become eWaste.

https://intercom.help/myrepublicsg/en/articles/8824793-myrepublic-talk-app-mobile

Just returned from Malaysia. Used the MR Talk app successfully on 1+6 (not supported locally for VoLTE).

Deliberately didn't subscribe to MR roaming, as the app is an SIP VOIP app, so all i need is an internet connection.

Used roaming from eight, simba, and "borrowed" friend's digi line as hotspot, and public/hotel free wifi.

no problems making and receiving calls. the phones were singtel and eight roaming subscribers as well as local Malaysian numbers.


To answer your questions:

1. the app is a VOIP app using SIP.

2. i don't know anyone using this app, so i couldn't verify MR Talk <--> MR Talk connection path

3. if in SG, use VoLTE or other VOIP apps for calling eg Whatsapp.

4. when roaming, forward calls to MR server (one-touch button is provided in Talk app), so that backend will direct incoming calls to app. These calls will be chargeable at 6+ cents/minute (presumably minimum charging block at 1min -- will confirm when i get the bill later)

for unsupported VoLTE phones in SG, leave forwarding on so it's still functional. Will see when the next bill comes whether these (forwarded) local calls are chargeable

5. no need to set MR Talk app as default phone app.
also, no need to change the battery optimisation settings -- i left it at "intelligent" or "optimise"
also, no need to lock the app in background (via recents menu).
It just works.

6. the potential drawback is that it runs on m1 4G network locally. Since this is not my primary phone, I'll find a way to deal with it. Anyway, it appears they have improved coverage, so i get better signal strength and speed at home compared to 2 years ago (when i was on CL).

7. another drawback is can't use shopee to pre-pay, so no discount.

8. speculation purely on my part. since MR Talk is a SIP app, it opens the possibility of being a business customer and getting around the VoLTE issue.
MR runs a VoIP Business Voice Service - hint, hint, hint. read between the lines.


conclusion. i'll probably port over my Simba line to MR, given the limitations of Simba Voice app on my phones, and them stating that they no longer support it.
Sure, i may miss the roaming, but at least my old but still very useable phones will not become ewaste. For roaming, buying a local pSIM/eSIM is still an affordable option, so the loss of Simba roaming won't be a major issue
(Note: Simba Voice app still works, for now)



More travel lined up for the next few months. Will see how the MR Talk app fares but I don't expect much difference.
 
Last edited:

Pocoyoz

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2005
Messages
36,146
Reaction score
6,423
Y Existing user cannot change to starter plan? Other plans also more expensive than new user 🤷
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top