New and Improved MM2H

lifeafter41

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2016
Messages
29,446
Reaction score
12,164
Even myself v tempted. The only worry for us Singaporeans is the next govt roti prata Anwar n destroy our dreams 😂.
Moi think changes in their policy is a given, with each change in gomen.
Unless one marries a Malaysian, it would be better to rent……..
Don’t think it stipulate one will need to buy a property in the new mm2h.
More of a FD requirement.
 

tyr9292

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
7,227
Reaction score
1,268
Too many caveats and unstable factors in this MM2H.

This MM2H is not new and has been around since 2002. So many times were Sinkies wishful but reality often seemed far from what they imagined.


If we refer to the original MM2H, some concerns are likely transferred to this new version.

1. The 5 year option to renew, doesn't mean surely renewed. Imagine 1 million people from China send in an application, their Bumi-instinct won't react?

2. During renewal, there's no guarantee of no changes in requirements. This could ask for fresh funds, they could restrict age, etc.

3. In the original MM2H, medical report is required. This suggests to me that medically sick PR could be rejected. So this dashes the dream of retirement in Malaysia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_My_Second_Home

4. The govt in Malaysia, is unstable. The tourist minister is a Chinese, what if PAS or a Muslim takes over the next time? Surely, the political parties there will involve racial sentiments in every election. Their right-wing PAS is not a weak nor a minor party.

5. You have to stay 60 days in Malaysia before age 50.
Not sure how they count it, Does morning go in Malaysia and out at night count?
How can you stay in Malaysia 60 days unless you are out of job.



I don't think this nor the RTS will improve the property prices, most property owners in JB are losing money, and it will be good that they could even break even.

If i decide to retire in Malaysia, i will probably just rent a unit. I won't want to lock my liquidity in a Malaysian property, i don't think it's easy to sell it off. I don't see a purpose. For stability in rental price? For capital appreciation? There are plenty of new properties in Malaysia and Malaysia has a vast amount of land, so unlikely it will propel much.
well said
 

anonym

Master Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
3,946
Reaction score
3,396
Even Malaysia have much better standard than SG?

Here we accept Uptron certificate!
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
Hmm, not all though. Met some friendly and helpful Malays too. Like when I drove in myself without GPS and had to ask for directions and when I ran out of coins for vending machine, a Malay lady gave me her coins.
Me too I never felt hostility from the Malays.
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
Too many caveats and unstable factors in this MM2H.

This MM2H is not new and has been around since 2002. So many times were Sinkies wishful but reality often seemed far from what they imagined.


If we refer to the original MM2H, some concerns are likely transferred to this new version.

1. The 5 year option to renew, doesn't mean surely renewed. Imagine 1 million people from China send in an application, their Bumi-instinct won't react?

2. During renewal, there's no guarantee of no changes in requirements. This could ask for fresh funds, they could restrict age, etc.

3. In the original MM2H, medical report is required. This suggests to me that medically sick PR could be rejected. So this dashes the dream of retirement in Malaysia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysia_My_Second_Home

4. The govt in Malaysia, is unstable. The tourist minister is a Chinese, what if PAS or a Muslim takes over the next time? Surely, the political parties there will involve racial sentiments in every election. Their right-wing PAS is not a weak nor a minor party.

5. You have to stay 60 days in Malaysia before age 50.
Not sure how they count it, Does morning go in Malaysia and out at night count?
How can you stay in Malaysia 60 days unless you are out of job.



I don't think this nor the RTS will improve the property prices, most property owners in JB are losing money, and it will be good that they could even break even.

If i decide to retire in Malaysia, i will probably just rent a unit. I won't want to lock my liquidity in a Malaysian property, i don't think it's easy to sell it off. I don't see a purpose. For stability in rental price? For capital appreciation? There are plenty of new properties in Malaysia and Malaysia has a vast amount of land, so unlikely it will propel much.
Suggest you don't apply, BTW what are your plans for Malaysia, if you just browsing this thread then no need for such an analysis, I think we all know what the risks are.

Personally I will not be applying, no need to, I will be doing day visits and sometimes stay for a couple of weeks, totally under the social visit profile.
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
The JB customs officer always gave me cold welcome. I say terima kasik they also bo hiew. I suppose we increase their work so of course. Only the grab driver still abit friendlier but then their ratings depend on it.
Never ever smile or be nice to immigration officers, or else they get suspicious, I apply this attitude to both SG and MY side officers.
 

kitsura

Banned
Joined
Jul 20, 2002
Messages
11,842
Reaction score
4,089
Never ever smile or be nice to immigration officers, or else they get suspicious, I apply this attitude to both SG and MY side officers.
Maybe next time I will try reverse psychology and report back results. But 2x I was detained at HK immigration for no reason so I also dislike all immigration officers now. Especially the fat black b**** at UK immigration who was downright rude to me. I think she suspected I was from China and no speaka Engrish.
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,395
Reaction score
15,839
Suggest you don't apply, BTW what are your plans for Malaysia, if you just browsing this thread then no need for such an analysis, I think we all know what the risks are.

Personally I will not be applying, no need to, I will be doing day visits and sometimes stay for a couple of weeks, totally under the social visit profile.
I'm open to Thailand, Malaysia or China but the problem with Malaysia today is the same as 50 years ago.
They are not reliable and even more unstable than before.

If the purpose is to just find a place to rot, then we can just use the existing 30-day visas.
There isn't a big difference, you can still rot there.
There are some pro and con on how it may turn out, nobody knows until you walk till the end of the path.

I will probably look at what happens five years later, I'll still be below 50yo.
It's better to make a bet with a clear eye.

Singaporeans always have this belief on property prices will only rise due to the framed perception of limited land and foreigner policies in SG, and they apply it to the whole world.
Malaysia is not like Singapore, they have plenty of land and plenty of opportunities to build more buildings.
Just because a landed property is unreachable in SG, people want a yard of their own overseas.
When the day comes u finally owns it, only to realise it's nothing much with other woes you haven't figured out before.

If the key target is really for retirement, the things to consider should not be just on which country allows you in. The location should provide the necessary medical care and amenities to support you when you get old. It is also not good to lock your retirement fund in some overseas properties. Maintaining some liquidity could probably offer you better security.
From what i last heard, at least Thai's medical is cheap and with decent standards.
Medical care in Malaysia, isn't that cheap IMO.
 
Last edited:

Eliwood

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
9,138
Reaction score
3,821
I'm open to Thailand, Malaysia or China but the problem with Malaysia today is the same as 50 years ago.
They are not reliable and even more unstable than before.

If the purpose is to just find a place to rot, then we can just use the existing 30-day visas.
There isn't a big difference, you can still rot there.
There are some pro and con on how it may turn out, nobody knows until you walk till the end of the path.

I will probably look at what happens five years later, I'll still be below 50yo.
It's better to make a bet with a clear eye.

Singaporeans always have this belief on property prices will only rise due to the framed perception of limited land and foreigner policies in SG, and they apply it to the whole world.
Malaysia is not like Singapore, they have plenty of land and plenty of opportunities to build more buildings.

If the key target is really for retirement, the things to consider should not be just on which country allows you in. The location should provide the necessary medical care and amenities to support you when you get old.
From what i last heard, at least Thai's medical is cheap and with decent standards.

Medical care in Malaysia, isn't that cheap IMO.

Ya i hear the speculation of msia property value rising espoused here, really lol.

Unless msia can raise the income level of their residents, there is no fundamental to support higher property value, especially considering the factors u mentioned.
 

jericho75

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2013
Messages
90,362
Reaction score
18,691
The JB customs officer always gave me cold welcome. I say terima kasik they also bo hiew. I suppose we increase their work so of course. Only the grab driver still abit friendlier but then their ratings depend on it.


Maybe is JB. Because sinkies go there fried up their expenses.
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
Ya i hear the speculation of msia property value rising espoused here, really lol.

Unless msia can raise the income level of their residents, there is no fundamental to support higher property value, especially considering the factors u mentioned.
You forgot that many of their residents earn SGD and with the steep deprecation of the RM their incomes in Johor have risen tremendously and their demand for well located quality property has gone up. As I said properties at Austin Crest were snapped up, even while I was deciding between 1 of 2 the other one was sold and the sold one was higher price than the one I bought, I was beaten by a Johorean shame the property did not wait for me.

Who says income levels of Johor residents are stagnant are you blind to facts?

Look at how their people live now, restaurants at Austin are packed, unlike Singapore whose residents income are lowered and with cost of living increasing at an alarming rate, do not project what you see in Singapore and extrapolate that to Johor residents, it is the Singaporeans who are getting poorer by the day.

Really lol on your 2 cent analysis.
 
Last edited:

roz_sid

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2006
Messages
6,542
Reaction score
70
Suggest you don't apply, BTW what are your plans for Malaysia, if you just browsing this thread then no need for such an analysis, I think we all know what the risks are.

Personally I will not be applying, no need to, I will be doing day visits and sometimes stay for a couple of weeks, totally under the social visit profile.
do u normally drive in to jb, use e pass or stamp at counter?
 

Spike

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2022
Messages
41,949
Reaction score
43,735
So far I have never found a trusted partner when it comes to money and real estate, unless your trusted partner is your spouse
Usually what people do is to hold the property in a company or a chain of companies with the foreigner as the final beneficiary.

Or a Lasting Power of Attorney can be given to ensure that the foreign director holds full control over the property.

Or an undated letter of resignation is signed by the local director beforehand so he can be replaced anytime.
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
Usually what people do is to hold the property in a company or a chain of companies with the foreigner as the final beneficiary.

Or a Lasting Power of Attorney can be given to ensure that the foreign director holds full control over the property.

Or an undated letter of resignation is signed by the local director beforehand so he can be replaced anytime.
Thank you but I have no such issue with my JB property.
 

Eliwood

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
9,138
Reaction score
3,821
You forgot that many of their residents earn SGD and with the steep deprecation of the RM their incomes in Johor have risen tremendously and their demand for well located quality property has gone up. As I said properties at Austin Crest were snapped up, even while I was deciding between 1 of 2 the other one was sold and the sold one was higher price than the one I bought, I was beaten by a Johorean shame the property did not wait for me.

Who says income levels of Johor residents are stagnant are you blind to facts?

Look at how their people live now, restaurants at Austin are packed, unlike Singapore whose residents income are lowered and with cost of living increasing at an alarming rate, do not project what you see in Singapore and extrapolate that to Johor residents, it is the Singaporeans who are getting poorer by the day.

Really lol on your 2 cent analysis.

Jhk spotted. I really lol at the way u say Austin as tho it is supposed to mean anything to me.

Ok sure haha. I dun go into jb so no idea how packed the restaurants are, altho i wont put too much faith in correlation of restaurant patronage with property purchase.

Dun worry whatever i say have no impact on ur jb property lol. No need to be so defensive.
 

Firstclass1188

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
15,138
Reaction score
3,756
Jhk spotted. I really lol at the way u say Austin as tho it is supposed to mean anything to me.

Ok sure haha. I dun go into jb so no idea how packed the restaurants are, altho i wont put too much faith in correlation of restaurant patronage with property purchase.

Dun worry whatever i say have no impact on ur jb property lol. No need to be so defensive.
Lol! If you know nothing why jeer at other people's posts?
 

Eliwood

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2009
Messages
9,138
Reaction score
3,821
Lol! If you know nothing why jeer at other people's posts?

Lol since when. I was concurring with another post. Pls go read again.

I did not single out any particular post in my initial post.

If u cant comprehend properly then shdnt be too quick to jump the gun jhk.

Really thin skin much? And i wasnt even addressing any of ur posts directly haha.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top