A young Marine Parade voter's dilemma
By Tessa Wong
IN A way, I can empathise with the voters in Aljunied. You see, I'm facing an interesting decision too.
I'm a Marine Parade constituent, and a first-time voter. And as I scrutinise the People's Action Party (PAP) and National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidates presented before me, I can't help but feel torn.
Like most young people, I am assessing the teams not just through reports in the mainstream media, but also through new media - how candidates present themselves in video-taped interviews and rallies posted online, how they act and speak on social media, and how they interact with netizens (never have my Facebook-stalking skills come in so handy!).
After sifting through the evidence thus far, I've realised that the decision boils down to the fact that there is one person, on each team, who represents what I want to see in Parliament. And this is why, as a young first-time voter, the decision is so difficult for me: because these two people represent two different desires.
Let's start with the opposition candidate - Nicole Seah of the NSP. I get a sense that she understands my needs as a young voter, and that she can speak up for my concerns.
These range from national concerns such as having more of an opposition voice in Parliament, to bread and butter issues such as the difficulties of buying your first flat and opportunities for young Singaporeans.
In her public appearances, especially in interviews with the media, I find Ms Seah spirited and unafraid to speak her mind, in a way that comes across as constructive.
This is evident in her online activity too. I like, for example, her Facebook note giving her take on the 377A issue, where she pointed out that Singaporeans should be concerned about more pressing social issues such as the lack of help for single mothers and rising housing prices.
My only concern is that occasionally she appears to try too hard to pander to populist sentiments, such as in her first rally speech when she declared that she no longer felt like she was in Singapore when she takes the MRT because there are too many foreigners.
There was some critical reaction on the Internet to that speech. Thankfully in her subsequent rally appearance, she reverted to the Nicole that many netizens are used to, one who exudes down-to-earth frankness - a good sign that she listens to feedback.
Ms Seah, above all, comes across as real - something which one of her opponents in the PAP camp also does quite well. No, I'm not referring to a certain female candidate, but rather BG Tan Chuan-Jin.
He readily engages with netizens on his Facebook page with an energy and openness, I dare say, is unmatched by other PAP candidates. BG Tan preaches a gospel of respect for alternative views, and it is clear from his Facebook page that he tries to walk the talk.
Like the rest of the PAP candidates, his Facebook wall has been awash with criticism of the PAP. Instead of ignoring them, he has welcomed them to continue commenting.
One recent update read: 'I guess as the hustings heat up, some of you will begin to inanundate (sic) this with postings from the opposition or use it as a platform to push other agendas. To be honest, I am trying to understand how to manage this. I have been trying my best to engage all of you and discuss. I know we won't see eye to eye but it is impt (sic) to hear the different perspectives.'
One of my biggest gripes is that I feel sometimes that the PAP's government does not listen hard enough to young voters like me about our concerns.
So someone like BG Tan gives me hope. He makes me, as a young voter, feel that my view and criticisms of the government will be respected.
BG Tan has said in a Straits Times interview that he wants to have more consultative governance, even though this may slow down efficiency in decision-making. That is what I want too.
My concern, though is that the pressures of political exigencies or party leadership may cause him to compromise on this goal, as it has happened before to others before him. I can only hope this will not be the case for BG Tan.
Both Ms Seah and BG Tan are candidates whom I badly want to see in Parliament.
One represents my desire to see more spirited voices in Parliament who can speak on behalf of young Singaporeans. The other represents my desire to see a change in the PAP's style of governance. If you think about it, they're actually complementary, representing my ideal government: one that strives to run Singapore well while thriving on robust debate, one in which young people feel included.
Come May 7, which desire will trump the other? I admit, it's a tough call.