Noob buying NAS

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
DS212J
RAID 1
2x Samsung F4 2TB HDDs
Router: Asus RT-N56U (Padavan firmware)
Switch: 1x TP-Link and 1x D-Link gigabit 5-port switches
LAN connection: all Cat.6 flat cables
2 desktops connected to different switch
Desktop OS drive: SSD, storage WD 1TB Blue
Files transfers between NAS & desktop HDD.
For LAN transfer, no different between Asus firmware and Padavan.

may I know what is ur raid configurations and router?.any custom network settings.what hdd u using?
 

sHrike

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
21
DS212J
RAID 1
2x Samsung F4 2TB HDDs
Router: Asus RT-N56U (Padavan firmware)
Switch: 1x TP-Link and 1x D-Link gigabit 5-port switches
LAN connection: all Cat.6 flat cables
2 desktops connected to different switch
Desktop OS drive: SSD, storage WD 1TB Blue
Files transfers between NAS & desktop HDD.
For LAN transfer, no different between Asus firmware and Padavan.
Thanks for sharing. As I have the Asus RT-N56U as well and I connect my PC to it,cat 6 cable directly. If I buy DS213J and connect it to N56U will I get the similar speeds? Or I need to get the switch. Thinking why is there a need to connect to switch . Is your configuration like this.

PC1-->TPlink-->RT-N56U<--Dlink<--PC2
 
Last edited:

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Thanks for sharing. As I have the Asus RT-N56U as well and I connect my PC to it,cat 6 cable directly. If I buy DS213J and connect it to N56U will I get the similar speeds? Or I need to get the switch. Thinking why is there a need to connect to switch . Is your configuration like this.

PC1-->TPlink-->RT-N56U<--Dlink<--PC2

No need to connect to switch. You 56U GbE links are good enough.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Agreed, a switch is not required if NAS is near router. In my case, a desktop, media player and NAS are connected TP LINK switch as these are located away from the router.

No need to connect to switch. You 56U GbE links are good enough.
 

HKSboy

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2010
Messages
448
Reaction score
0
213j, 213+ 213air , 214, 214+, 214se

May I know why theDS213j has wifi support? meaning mobile device directly access to the NAS?


Btw may I know how do I access my NAS if I am outside? browser type ip address and access? NAS needs to be connected to the Router 24x7?

USB 3.0 impt?
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
213j, 213+ 213air , 214, 214+, 214se

May I know why theDS213j has wifi support? meaning mobile device directly access to the NAS?


Btw may I know how do I access my NAS if I am outside? browser type ip address and access? NAS needs to be connected to the Router 24x7?

USB 3.0 impt?

Means you can connect wireless to your router instead of the nas -> wired -> router.

Of course, no issue on wireless connection to the NAS via router.

NO. nas dont have to be on 24/7. On it only based on your usage pattern. If you wish to access from WAN, you have to perform the necessary port forwarding.
 

r0_ger

Master Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2004
Messages
3,140
Reaction score
20
Will a 2 or 4 bay he'd enclosure work if I attached it to the USB slot on my router? That's a cheaper alternative I am considering as I don't intend to run RAID
 

Asure7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2009
Messages
5,168
Reaction score
275
Actually you don't have to follow the compatibility list.
No brands will test compatibility with each and every hard disk model in the market.

I've used many various brands' hdds (not in the list) with dlink NAS with no problems.
The only problem you may have is support of high capacity hard disks, i.e. if the last firmware update supports only up to 3TB, you may not be able to use 4TB hdd. Otherwise there should not be any problems.

There is also a very extensively long thread on dlink NAS somewhere (hundreds of pages) for peer support. You may like to ask what hdds the other users are using :)



sorry to hijack your thread but i thought this question might also be relevant to you.

folks - wanted to check with you how long you actually expect the NAS to be supported for? i bought the dns 343 in 2008. The device is still working but reached EOL since 2011. what this means for me now is that although it has not failed yet, i can't find hard disks to put in it. the compatible list has not been updated since 2011. to give an example, since the seagate 7200.11 series, I can't find another seagate hard disk that will work with it. This is really frustrating and now i feel like buying a new NAS and throwing this damned thing away. I was wondering if i bought a synology one, whether i would face the same issue in 5 years' time.

definitely would not get any dlink NASes anymore, given this experience.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Agreed, 4pcs of Samsung F4 2TB hard disks in DS414 running fine even this model is not listed in the compatibility list.

Actually you don't have to follow the compatibility list.
No brands will test compatibility with each and every hard disk model in the market......
 

xiaosinsinful

Banned
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
23,527
Reaction score
13,172
hey sorry for hijacking , but i was wondering if i was to get a NAS , would it be able to stream stuff on the local network only or network + internet? sry for the noob question
 

chengsun

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2004
Messages
38,502
Reaction score
12
hey sorry for hijacking , but i was wondering if i was to get a NAS , would it be able to stream stuff on the local network only or network + internet? sry for the noob question

Synology, with their app, can stream videos over internet.
 

sHrike

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
21
hey sorry for hijacking , but i was wondering if i was to get a NAS , would it be able to stream stuff on the local network only or network + internet? sry for the noob question
The question is you have enough mobile data bandwidth or not...haha..i stream a movie can easily use up 4 -5 gb of data.
 

xiaosinsinful

Banned
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
23,527
Reaction score
13,172
The question is you have enough mobile data bandwidth or not...haha..i stream a movie can easily use up 4 -5 gb of data.

er , something like that but i was wondering if i can access the NAS thru the internet to get files and stuff. or isit limited to only the local network?
 

chinoy

Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
197
Reaction score
0
I'm also in the market for my very first NAS. What about WD My Cloud Mirror or the WD EX2? As compared to the other 2 bay NAS of Synology?

I know the common question is "what would you want from your NAS?"

but my answer to that is "what CAN i do with a NAS?!" I may not know anything about features like mail server or FTP or security ip camera, but if i can see beyond the novelty it, who knows i may probably use it and may never look back!
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
I'm also in the market for my very first NAS. What about WD My Cloud Mirror or the WD EX2? As compared to the other 2 bay NAS of Synology?

I know the common question is "what would you want from your NAS?"

but my answer to that is "what CAN i do with a NAS?!" I may not know anything about features like mail server or FTP or security ip camera, but if i can see beyond the novelty it, who knows i may probably use it and may never look back!

Then i wouldn't ask you that instead...

with data going from GB to TBs... if you like slow NAS, the WD is the winner.

You might take hrs transferring datas. Compared to minutes. Your call though.

If $ is a constraint, i rather you go for D-Link DNS327L with 2 x HDD of your choice
 

echeong

Master Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2000
Messages
3,235
Reaction score
0
Actually you don't have to follow the compatibility list.
No brands will test compatibility with each and every hard disk model in the market.

I've used many various brands' hdds (not in the list) with dlink NAS with no problems.
The only problem you may have is support of high capacity hard disks, i.e. if the last firmware update supports only up to 3TB, you may not be able to use 4TB hdd. Otherwise there should not be any problems.

There is also a very extensively long thread on dlink NAS somewhere (hundreds of pages) for peer support. You may like to ask what hdds the other users are using :)

That is where the user base feedback is useful and where synology is strong at. There is a fairly big user base with a popular user forums at synology where feedback on older NAS like the x07 series are still strong so you never have any issue in getting useful info or tips...
 

discoburg

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2001
Messages
7,754
Reaction score
581
Paid for a Asustor E model NAS along with 2 HDD on Sunday noon. Will collect it back on Mon after the Fuwell's staff set up the NAS for me. Seems like setting it up takes a long long time.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Paid for a Asustor E model NAS along with 2 HDD on Sunday noon. Will collect it back on Mon after the Fuwell's staff set up the NAS for me. Seems like setting it up takes a long long time.

you should do it by yourself.

The ASUSTOR initialization is fast - less than 1hr compared to Synology which could easily go for more than a day
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top