Noob buying NAS

xypher

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
607
Reaction score
0
Hi all

First time NAS buyer here. I am getting rid of my PC and using laptops full-time now. Therefore the old 1TB and 500GB hdds from the PC need to go in the NAS. My budget for the NAS enclosure itself is $200.

I am leaning towards Dlink DNS-327L. Anyone here have other suggestions?

Do I need to get a new HDD or can I repurpose my old drives? They are both WD Black models.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Hi all

First time NAS buyer here. I am getting rid of my PC and using laptops full-time now. Therefore the old 1TB and 500GB hdds from the PC need to go in the NAS. My budget for the NAS enclosure itself is $200.

I am leaning towards Dlink DNS-327L. Anyone here have other suggestions?

Do I need to get a new HDD or can I repurpose my old drives? They are both WD Black models.

Problem is, what do you need the nas to achieve?

You could reuse the hdd as long its on SATA
 

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2001
Messages
175,124
Reaction score
8,423
hey sorry for hijacking , but i was wondering if i was to get a NAS , would it be able to stream stuff on the local network only or network + internet? sry for the noob question
But if this setup, the hdd will have to run 24/7?

I wonder if the hdd can tahan for many years to come
 

xypher

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
607
Reaction score
0
It will be used for storage of my photos, backups and documents etc. Stuff that was on the pc but have to be relocated now. The files will be accessed by few laptops so a NAS would be better than portable hdd.

Additionally, I would try to store videos on it to watch on my WD TV Live.

Problem is, what do you need the nas to achieve?

You could reuse the hdd as long its on SATA
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top