Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunarsong

Reaction score
Isn't this thing build for both home entertainment + gaming?

yes it is for both, but not many realize that the games doesn't come free and you would need to subscribe to this thing called GeForce Now at 7.99usd/mth to have the full range of games available for you to play with

i didnt sign that so i can only play free games on play store and use it for watching videos

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score
yes it is for both, but not many realize that the games doesn't come free and you would need to subscribe to this thing called GeForce Now at 7.99usd/mth to have the full range of games available for you to play with

i didnt sign that so i can only play free games on play store and use it for watching videos

Can we access to Amazon Prime content or is it block due to Geo location?

tidus792

Master Member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime content is blocked due to Geo restrictions by default.
The Amazon Video application is hidden if it detects you're outside the supported regions (US, UK, FR etc)

Restriction can be bypassed by
1. Turn off Location Sensing
2. Using English (US) / English (UK)
3. Using VPN

Amazon Videos - Amazon original content are no longer region locked (Grand Tour), however their TV serials are often region locked and a significant number of VPNs are now banned (similar to what Netflix has done).

Shield was ordered from Amazon which provided free shipping to SG.

Performance has been brilliant. No lag detected. I can watch Twitch videos in source without stuttering. Chromecast 1080p60mhz w/o lagging. There's Netflix and Youtube 4k if I wanted. It's nothing like what you'll ever experience on other Android boxes however the price premium is incredibly steep $300 vs $150 Minix box and $70 Xiaomi Box. Not for people without deep pockets and I wish I had just started with a shield.

It's a great mini gaming console but I'm incredibly put off by having to pay for a Geforce Subscription to play the premier AAA titles on the SHIELD. I'm going to have to pass on this and settle on steam and game on my PC. Wasted opportunity on my end.

Honestly the reason why I bought this was because I know this box will get software upgrades for at least another year. Nvidia has been excellent with updating their devices.

TLDR: If money is no object, this is the best Android TV box in the world. Otherwise there are cheaper options out there.

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I intend to get another box for my home theatre. Currently I have a xiaomi box which is quite alright. Can you share what is the difference between this and other China box? Typical box has 4k also. I believe nvidia shield has very good graphics and CPU. Any other thoughts?

lunarsong

Reaction score
wait for Amazon to completely setup in SG and the Prime content to be lifted of its geo-restriction, then you can fully experience the box by watching Prime content

jingwei

Reaction score
Tried to order from Nvidia via Amazon, but the order does not deliver to Singapore. Can share the link you ordered from?

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The price is US$199 but why are we still charged for shipping? I thought it is free shipping

tidus792

Master Member
Reaction score
The difference between this vs the cheap android boxes is the hardware being the best there is and the guaranteed software upgrades / updates.

There's nothing better for hardware in spite of it being 2 years old (because faster hardware is more expensive which doesn't fit the Xiaomi demographic) and software upgrades (I cannot remember when Android boxes had major OS upgrades, what you see if what you get for life). The old Shield had upgrades from v5 to v7 for the past 2 years and with more to come. Only the Google Nexus TV had a similar software support. It has official support for everything. (Netflix 4K), Chromecast etc.

I still remember trawling the forums awaiting the release of new software updates to flash via some chinese software and I didn't enjoy that. (Minix 8H Plus box)

If there's any software you've loaded onto your previous Android boxes, the shield will be able to use them as well. It's an Android box at the end of the day.

Amazon US ships it for free to Singapore. It's the most convenient way to get it.
http://imgur.com/a/xCVgh

They've offered free shipping to Singapore since the launch date so you can pick one up anytime.

I got mine from the UK site (no longer possible because they no longer offered it) because I wanted a 3 pin plug and WiFi channels and UK apps.

The next 2 upgrades I'm looking forward to in mid to end 2017 is the Google Home assistant update and the Live TV update (plugging in a USB tuner and watching TV on it).

The most up to date information on the Nvidia shield can be found here
(current problems / solutions).
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

There you'll find information about sideloading applications that were hidden due to Geo restrictions.

Geo restrictions is an inconvenience that's here to stay. US / UK / CN content have all be increasingly harder to access. As long as you're constantly reading up / using VPN it's not an issue. The reality is Singapore is a small market and we don't get access to large libraries of content. (Look at Netflix SG / Amazon Video SG).

If money is an issue you could consider waiting for discounts, the cheapest the SHIELD has ever been sold for is USD 149 (instead of USD 199) last April 2016. There was nothing during Black Friday 2016.

TLDR:
- Purchase from Amazon US, cheapest and most convenient and free shipping
- Enjoy guaranteed software upgrades for another year and all features have 1st party support (Chromecast, Netflix etc)
- Google assistant is coming, Live TV is coming (hopefully it works in SG)
- It's an Android box, you can load the same things that you do with other boxes
- Read up on geo restrictions, the SG video market will remain poor for the forseeable future (Starhub / Singtel dominance). The hurdles are not insurmountable.
- Don't just take my word for it, read the SHIELD forums, they have details on all the various problems and solutions

Last edited:

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The difference between this vs the cheap android boxes is the hardware being the best there is and the guaranteed software upgrades / updates.

There's nothing better for hardware (because faster hardware is more expensive which doesn't fit the Xiaomi demographic) and software upgrades (I cannot remember when Android boxes had major OS upgrades, what you see if what you get for life). The old Shield had upgrades from v5 to v7 for the past 2 years and with more to come. Only the Google Nexus TV had a similar software support. It has official support for everything. (Netflix 4K), Chromecast etc.

I still remember trawling the forums awaiting the release of new software updates to flash via ODIN and I didn't enjoy that. (Minix 8H Plus box)

If there's any software you've loaded onto your previous Android boxes, the shield will be able to use them as well. It's an Android box at the end of the day.

Amazon US ships it for free to Singapore. It's the most convenient way to get it.
http://imgur.com/a/xCVgh

They've offered free shipping to Singapore since the launch date so you can pick one up anytime.

I got mine from the UK site (no longer possible because they no longer offered it) because I wanted a 3 pin plug and WiFi channels and UK apps.

The next 2 upgrades I'm looking forward to in mid to end 2017 is the Google Home assistant update and the Live TV update (plugging in a USB tuner and watching TV on it).

The most up to date information on the Nvidia shield can be found here
(current problems / solutions).
https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/159/shield-tv/

There you'll find information about sideloading applications that were hidden due to Geo restrictions.

Geo restrictions is an inconvenience that's here to stay. US / UK / CN content have all be increasingly harder to access. As long as you're constantly reading up / using VPN it's not an issue. The reality is Singapore is a small market and we don't get access to large libraries of content. (Look at Netflix SG / Amazon Video SG).

TLDR:
- Purchase from Amazon US, cheapest and most convenient and free shipping
- Enjoy guaranteed software upgrades for another year and all features have 1st party support (Chromecast, Netflix etc)
- Google assistant is coming, Live TV is coming (hopefully it works in SG)
- It's an Android box, you can load the same things that you do with other boxes
- Read up on geo restrictions, the SG video market will remain poor for the forseeable future (Starhub / Singtel dominance). The hurdles are not insurmountable.
- Don't just take my word for it, read the SHIELD forums, they have details on all the various problems and solutions

Thanks for sharing. I just ordered 1 set. Amazon is always amazing and I have been using for 5-6 years. For anyone who is keen on the 2015 unit, can try carousell. There is some deals at $250 w/o remote. $199 for a set with controlled and remote is amazing. If xbox, Nintendo and PS4 can support android tv apps, I think it will be amazing

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Seriously I think starhub, singtel cannot dominate for long. Although government try to stop airbnb, Uber etc by providing some restrictions, they cannot stop disruptive technology

jingwei

Reaction score
I selected an SG address but the Amazon site said that the nvidia shield tv is not able to ship to SG

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
happy to be joining the thread,
me ordered from qoo10 on Friday afternoon
they delivered yesterday morning, i was still in bed lol.

ATV is pretty limited, so proceeded to unlock and flash a full nougat rom.

setop box with chromecast built in..
how to beat! lol

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
happy to be joining the thread,
me ordered from qoo10 on Friday afternoon
they delivered yesterday morning, i was still in bed lol.

ATV is pretty limited, so proceeded to unlock and flash a full nougat rom.

setop box with chromecast built in..
how to beat! lol

How much did u pay? If it is $299, very worth it because Amazon also about same price and need to wait for a few days

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.