Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYBob5

Reaction score
What do u mean by a tv box?

1. Can I install pc game on hdd then attach hdd to it and run?
2. Android apps or snes/psx emulator for old games should be working?
3. Able to attach hdd and torrent?
4a Is there any way to increase the number of usb ports? I wanna connect keyboard, mouse, 2 controller, 2 hdd. so I need like 6.
4b USB splitter works?
5. Able to watch overseas channels?

1. can use GeForce Now which isn't supported as of yet in SG but you can use game stream to stream your games from your pc to the TV

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can PM me the place to stream for 4k atmos hdr?
Can pay.

Thanks.

Netflix?

Some people use shared account and the price is really cheap if you want to go that route.

I have zero interests to Netflix or 4k myself though.

I have Youku VIP subscription which is mostly up to 1080p HDR only. But 酷喵影视 Youku TV VIP has a bit of 4k contents but maybe that is fake 4k compared to Netflix.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You miss the point here.

Sure, you can run the plex server 24/7 and access all your media files from the internet.

The main reason to use the Nvidia Shield TV is the enhanced audio and video using Dolby Atmos and Vision when playing media through HDMI on a TV. The media can come from Netflix, Youtube and other paid subscriptions and your own stored content. Sure you can install android apps to stream content from questionable sources (even pirated streams) but most likely you’ll find poor quality, unstable video and risk of infection.
poor quality, unstable video? :D

lol.. 4K Blu-ray quality with DTS 7.1 / ATMOS audio encoding with gigabit bandwidth cloud server streaming with no lag.
UfhvWws.jpg

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Lil_d3viLz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
poor quality, unstable video? :D

lol.. 4K Blu-ray quality with DTS 7.1 / ATMOS audio encoding with gigabit bandwidth cloud server streaming with no lag.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

may be you live in the cave for many years.

nowadays people don't have to download, streaming is the norm.

free and good servers are everywhere, if you want to watch on mobile phone, don't have to stream from home.

if you are willing to pay for a small fee, you can stream 4k atmos hdr movies .

Wah boss. 41.1gb for a movie?
Phone capacity still 64gb, max storage I get around 20gb.
If I get new phone, also dislike black bars due to resolution ratio.
Somemore for mobile, download > streaming. 2 GB data monthly nia.
I live in cave. Streaming needs good internet connection all times.
Small is how small? Can post here?
Can't be like Netflix monthly billing..... x24 months also quite ex. Can buy Nvidia Shield TV liao.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can't be like Netflix monthly billing..... x24 months also quite ex. Can buy Nvidia Shield TV liao.

just an example of what you can get on an Nvidia shield TV

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netflix?

Some people use shared account and the price is really cheap if you want to go that route.

I have Youku VIP subscription which is mostly up to 1080p HDR only. But 酷喵影视 Youku TV VIP has a bit of 4k contents but maybe that is fake 4k compared to Netflix.

I am now on netflix, albeit playing it off a LGC9. I am not impressed with the atmos selection on offer, and the effect coming off these titles. The many epic atmos titles like John Wick, Mad Max etc are not available on netflix. I mean, they did an atmos for "The Irishman", where 90% of the show are of few old men talking. I fell asleep watching.

It's no use saying you have atmos content when you are just adding the random movies which doesn't actually need atmos. Hope they will improve the selection in future.

Also I am not sure if adding netflix to NS and then to tv will improve the experience. I will update in a week or two after I have received the NS.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I think you are missing the point. You play a 41gb atmos HDR 4k title on the phone? What kinda effect are you expecting to get?

I think many have mentioned before, the NS is just an equipment to get atmos 4k HDR onto your TV, which coupled with your atmos setup, will give you that theatre experience.

If you have neither a minimum 5.1 home theatre, or won't sit in front of the tv to catch a movie, then the NS TV might not be the best option for you.

bodohboy

Reaction score
Netflix?

Yeah I am currently using the plan with 4 of my pals and dad. Paying annually at $40 for two years already, this might change now due to addition of 7% GST... Was trying to see if there’s another option of streaming.

Anyways bro, how come you’re not interested in Netflix? You and your family mostly consume Chinese Entertainment and Movies?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah I am currently using the plan with 4 of my pals and dad. Paying annually at $40 for two years already, this might change now due to addition of 7% GST... Was trying to see if there’s another option of streaming.

Anyways bro, how come you’re not interested in Netflix? You and your family mostly consume Chinese Entertainment and Movies?

Kids: YouTube (English), SingTel TV kids channels (English)

Parents in law : Chinese contents only, mainly news and music on mobile phone

Wife: Chinese and Korea drama and movies on the phone, Mandarin music on the phone

Me: English news and documentary (SingTel TV and SingTel Cast), Youku movies (Chinese and a bit of English), Youku dramas (Mandarin/Cantonese only), QQ Music/Xiami Music (old English/Hokkien songs, Cantonese songs and Mandarin songs, ).

So you can say both English and Chinese contents, but no English TV series.

Last edited:

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think many have mentioned before, the NS is just an equipment to get atmos 4k HDR onto your TV, which coupled with your atmos setup, will give you that theatre experience.

If you have neither a minimum 5.1 home theatre, or won't sit in front of the tv to catch a movie, then the NS TV might not be the best option for you.

this ^^ haha!!
i dun understand pple who do not have the kinda setup to enjoy 4k d atmos contents but continue to stream them.. lol

bodohboy

Reaction score
Kids: YouTube (English), SingTel TV kids channels (English)

Parents in law : Chinese contents only, mainly news and music on mobile phone

Wife: Chinese and Korea drama and movies on the phone, Mandarin music on the phone

Me: English news and documentary (SingTel TV and SingTel Cast), Youku movies (Chinese and a bit of English), Youku dramas (Mandarin/Cantonese only), QQ Music/Xiami Music (old English/Hokkien songs, Cantonese songs and Mandarin songs, ).

So you can say both English and Chinese contents, but no English TV series.

I see...then Netflix might not be for you.

Norman Chan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to ask, can this Shield TV Pro playback ISO format video files?

Thanks in advance for answering.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Challenger has Xbox One S 1TB two controller pack or one controller one game bundle on sale at S$299.

This might be a good alternative to NVidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

XBox One S is a capable streaming box with quite some Streaming apps like Netflix, Kodi, Plex, YouTube, etc.

On gaming side it will beats NVidia Shield TV hands down.

PS4 1TB is also on offer at S$369 for the Mega Pack bundle. That is another option as well.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Challenger has Xbox One S 1TB two controller pack or one controller one game bundle on sale at S$299.

This might be a good alternative to NVidia Shield TV Pro 2019.

XBox One S is a capable streaming box with quite some Streaming apps like Netflix, Kodi, Plex, YouTube, etc.

On gaming side it will beats NVidia Shield TV hands down.

PS4 1TB is also on offer at S$369 for the Mega Pack bundle. That is another option as well.

Actually I just bought the Xbox One S and my first impression is pretty positive. Of course on the apps side Nvidia Shield TV will beat Xbox One S and One X hands down.

Not a real gamer and I am only into old games and casual games (Wii owner but I have not touched it for quite some time. I invested quite a bit on Wii, with Wii Fit, dancing mat, extra Wii Remote, Classic controller and bought old NES/SNES/N64 games and Sega games on the Wii Shop).

So this Xbox One S is just an impulse buy and I have no intention to pay for the games in the near future.

#######

Got IPTV player apps which work well.

Got RSS player app which works well.

Got iQiyi, Mango TV and Sohu Video Chinese version. Missing Youku and Tencent Video though.

Got Edge browser but unfortunately SingTel Cast does not work from the edge player.

Got free and paid apps from the Microsoft Store as well for live TV, movie and drama.

Got Kodi and Plex as well (not tested). VLC Player works well with my WD Mycloud personal NAS.

Got a paid app which claims to support Airplay and Google Cast but I do not need the app and do not want to try.

Got 4K UHD Blu-ray player function and support Netflix 4k. Has YouTube app and Amazon Prime Video app as well.

########

Last edited:

galliano

Master Member
Reaction score
Actually I just bought the Xbox One S and my first impression is pretty positive. Of course on the apps side Nvidia Shield TV will beat Xbox One S and One X hands down.

Not a real gamer and I am only into old games and casual games (Wii owner but I have not touched it for quite some time. I invested quite a bit on Wii, with Wii Fit, dancing mat, extra Wii Remote, Classic controller and bought old NES/SNES/N64 games and Sega games on the Wii Shop).

So this Xbox One S is just an impulse buy and I have no intention to pay for the games in the near future.

#######

Got IPTV player apps which work well.

Got RSS player app which works well.

Got iQiyi, Mango TV and Sohu Video Chinese version. Missing Youku and Tencent Video though.

Got Edge browser but unfortunately SingTel Cast does not work from the edge player.

Got free and paid apps from the Microsoft Store as well for live TV, movie and drama.

Got Kodi and Plex as well (not tested). VLC Player works well with my WD Mycloud personal NAS.

Got a paid app which claims to support Airplay and Google Cast but I do not need the app and do not want to try.

Got 4K UHD Blu-ray player function and support Netflix 4k. Has YouTube app and Amazon Prime Video app as well.

########

More importantly ... with the Xbox, you have Gears of War. I think THAT is most important. Haha.

drkcynic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just got my NS.

Some questions I have sorry if they had been asked before.

1. Can I use phone or PC to control the setup of NS? Like adding add-ons to KODI need to use the remote to slowly select and type the URL is such a pain.

2. My NS is connected via HDMI to my AVR media player HDMI. Whenever I startup my NS, the AVR comes on. But sometimes when i play kid's youtube on NS i do not need to on the AVR and only want to use the TV's sounds. What kind of settings can I do if it is possible?

3. Are you guys able to connect via wireless wifi to access to PC's or Cloud's storage to play video or do you have to plug in a harddisk physically.

Thanks!

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just got my NS.

1. Can I use phone or PC to control the setup of NS? Like adding add-ons to KODI need to use the remote to slowly select and type the URL is such a pain.

2. My NS is connected via HDMI to my AVR media player HDMI. Whenever I startup my NS, the AVR comes on. But sometimes when i play kid's youtube on NS i do not need to on the AVR and only want to use the TV's sounds. What kind of settings can I do if it is possible?

3. Are you guys able to connect via wireless wifi to access to PC's or Cloud's storage to play video or do you have to plug in a harddisk physically.

Thanks!

1. there's a android TV app you can download and use to control your NS. it's available for both iOS and Android.

2. go to settings and turn off hdmi cec

3. no need to plug in physically.. can stream via WiFi or ethernet via samba or FTP. just need to enable file sharing on your PC or NAS.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, I just got my NS.

Thanks!

1. when setting up kodi on tv box, it is better to download the repo zip files on PC, then transfer to tv box. else you have to key in long url , it is a pain even with proper keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.