OCBC Titanium Mastercard

AMD_FREAK

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think if cardholder can show receipt/invoice that he/she purchased items related to clothes, shoes, bags, electronics, gadgets, babies' and children's wear, personal care, OCBC will give 10X for the related spendings?

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
So should you get 10x on amazon.com?

Sent from Samsung SM-G930F using GAGT

OCBC,

Given that Amazon is a large retailer and for sake of absolute clarity, what is OCBC's official position on Amazon purchases ??

Will we get 10X for purchases on Amazon ?

Yeah, for the sake of your customers, please clarify. The fact that he posted here means he don't mind you telling us.

Hi all,

Amazon transactions made in the eligible categories as shown on our website will be awarded 10X OCBC$.

Additional OCBC$ will be credited by the end of the following month (following transaction posted date). If you did not receive the additional OCBC$, do drop us a PM with your contact details, and we will look into it.

^DG

Reaction score
overseas mobile payment

hi OCBC,

Does the promo distinguish between local and overseas mobile payment?
i.e. if i use Apple Pay overseas, will i be eligible for 4 miles / dollar? thanks!

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
hi OCBC,

Does the promo distinguish between local and overseas mobile payment?
i.e. if i use Apple Pay overseas, will i be eligible for 4 miles / dollar? thanks!

Hi theholidayfarm,

Yes, if the merchant overseas accepts mobile payment (payment must be made by physically tapping/waving the phone at the merchants' terminal), the transaction will be eligible for 10X OCBC$ (till 31 Dec 2018).

^DG

Last edited:

rapcon

Reaction score
Hi theholidayfarm,

Yes, if the merchant overseas accepts mobile payment (payment must be made by physically tapping/waving the card at the merchants' terminal), the transaction will be eligible for 10X OCBC$ (till 31 Dec 2018).

^DG

Mobile Payment, I thought is only physically tapping of your phone (not card)?

Reaction score
Hi ceecookie,

We will award 10X OCBC$ as long as it is at a LV boutique store selling merchandises under the relevant 10X categories, regardless of the country.

If it is not awarded, do call us at 1800 363 3333 or drop us a PM for us to look into this.

^WX

Hi OCBC!

How about other boutique stores like Chanel? Does the 10x ocbc$ apply?

If so, can I confirm that it is regardless of country as well?

Thanks!

tth_ben

Reaction score
Hi all,

Amazon transactions made in the eligible categories as shown on our website will be awarded 10X OCBC$.

Additional OCBC$ will be credited by the end of the following month (following transaction posted date). If you did not receive the additional OCBC$, do drop us a PM with your contact details, and we will look into it.

^DG

OCBC, stop trying to hoodwink your customers. You are being extremely economical with honesty and ethics. To the other card users out there. Below is what OCBC told me.

“On our website, we indicate that the following transactions are
eligible:

* Clothes, Shoes and Bags
* Department stores
* Electronics and gadgets
* Babies’ and Children’s wear
* Personal care (until 31 December 2018)

It also gives you a list of merchants which may be included in the list
of eligible transactions. This includes Amazon.

However, we also wish to highlight the information indicated on our
website which states:

“Transactions made on credit/debit cards are automatically categorised
according to the Merchant Category Code (MCC) of the store, and the MCC
determines whether the transaction is eligible for additional rewards.
Note that MCCs are assigned by payment card organisations (e.g. Visa,
MasterCard, American Express), which OCBC Bank has no discretion over.

Please note that the merchant's registered MCC may not always
correspond with its nature of business. For example, KrisFlyer Shop is
registered as a Duty Free Store (MCC 5309) and Financial Institution
(MCC 6012) even though it sells a variety of retail products, including
electronics and gadgets and personal care.”

As shared in our email reply of 6 March 2018, the transactions by
Amazon that were charged to your card account were not categorised
under any of the above-mentioned transactions that are eligible for 10
x OCBC$. This is because their MCCs are either “book stores” or
“miscellaneous retail stores”. Therefore, we did not credit the bonus 9
x OCBC$ to you for the Amazon transactions due to this reason”

So, essentially, OCBC is saying that yes yes we say expressly Amazon is an example of 10X rewards, BUT hold on, even though we said that, Alamak, amazon MCC is always not the correct MCC (heck but why did we say Amazon will be 10X ah?) so never mind, you the customer can go screw yourself.

And by the way, OCBC, your website does not say Amazon MAY be included. There is no such qualifier.

Well, OCBC, let’s see what FIDREC says. I hope your legal team knows what Derry v Peek is about.

Last edited:

tth_ben

Reaction score
In other words, customers should not trust anything that OCBC says here about the 10X points. If you confront them later on, they will just say that oops, the MCC code used by the merchant doesn't fall within our specified categories.

Even more ironic is that OCBC obviously would know what the MCCs for each of the merchants are, and yet they will then subsequently resort to this cheap stunt in saying the MCC is wrong (in spite of what they may previously tell you about a particular merchant being eligible).

Says a lot about a bank that has such sharp practice.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In other words, customers should not trust anything that OCBC says here about the 10X points. If you confront them later on, they will just say that oops, the MCC code used by the merchant doesn't fall within our specified categories.

Even more ironic is that OCBC obviously would know what the MCCs for each of the merchants are, and yet they will then subsequently resort to this cheap stunt in saying the MCC is wrong (in spite of what they may previously tell you about a particular merchant being eligible).

Says a lot about a bank that has such sharp practice.

OCBC may not know MCC for some merchants. But when they do explicitly state particular merchants to be eligible for the 10x points, they should have checked the MCC. They obviously did not do the checking for the case of Amazon. In any case, they should stand by their claim that Amazon is eligible for 10x points, as people may have chosen to use the card because of their claim.

tth_ben

Reaction score
OCBC may not know MCC for some merchants. But when they do explicitly state particular merchants to be eligible for the 10x points, they should have checked the MCC. They obviously did not do the checking for the case of Amazon. In any case, they should stand by their claim that Amazon is eligible for 10x points, as people may have chosen to use the card because of their claim.

All banks can easily find out the MCC of a particular merchant if they wish to. Unlike us consumers, they have access to certain databases that we don't. And don't count on OCBC standing by their claim. They can already sneakily add in a "MAY" when telling me that their website says that Amazon MAY be included.

But it's worth a chuckle to read their so-called values.

"At OCBC, we understand that our continued success as a financial services group is dependent on our ability to build enduring relationships with our customers. This involves treating our customers with respect and integrity, and consistently dealing with them in a fair and professional manner. That is why the element of Fair Dealing features prominently in our core values. Specifically, our value of ‘Integrity’ underscores Fair Dealing as the basis of our business."

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
Mobile Payment, I thought is only physically tapping of your phone (not card)?

Hi rapcon,

We apologise for the error in our previous reply.

You are right to say that mobile payment is made by physically tapping the phone at the merchants' terminal.

We have edited our previous reply to correctly reflect this.

^DG

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi OCBC!

How about other boutique stores like Chanel? Does the 10x ocbc$ apply?

If so, can I confirm that it is regardless of country as well?

Thanks!

Hi theholidayfarm,

Yes, as long as the boutique store is classified under the eligible 10X OCBC $ categories, it would be given, regardless of the country.

^WX

invisible999

Master Member
Reaction score
And by the way, OCBC, your website does not say Amazon MAY be included. There is no such qualifier.

Well, OCBC, let’s see what FIDREC says. I hope your legal team knows what Derry v Peek is about.

So do I understand correctly that 10x from Amazon applies ONLY to purchases to these categories they list and ONLY if case if their MCC is 'correct one'?

djr81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And when you pay using mobile payments (till 31 Dec 2018)

So apply to all merchant?

Tks

tth_ben

Reaction score
So do I understand correctly that 10x from Amazon applies ONLY to purchases to these categories they list and ONLY if case if their MCC is 'correct one'?

OCBC is being very sneaky and in fact, downright dishonest about this.

Because the merchant's MCC does not fluctuate simply because of what you buy in your particular order. So they are telling you yes, we give you 10X for Amazon but only if there is an eligible MCC. But the problem is, you will never have an eligible MCC for Amazon because now we know that Amazon's MCC is that of miscellaneous book stores. It's not as if you buy electronics and Amazon will tag a different MCC to your charge.

The fact that OCBC said on its website that Amazon is an example of 10X points will lead any reasonable person to the conclusion that OCBC has found out that Amazon's MCC works for its Titanium card. Clearly that was never the case. More like a case of trying to trick customers into using its card and then making a quick buck from the card fees whilst giving us the paltry 1X OCBC points.

Shame on you, OCBC.

Last edited:

tth_ben

Reaction score
Well.. some updates. Senior member from the OCBC team called me, apologized for the problem and said that it is actually not an MCC issue and that their customer service staff were not properly trained on this area and just used the MCC point as a wrong reason. Apparently in my case there was an IT issue where their IT team left out some number in their posting mechanism...

If so, then seems like OCBC created a mountain out of air thanks to poorly trained staff....

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score

Hi invisible999,

All Amazon transactions in the eligible categories will be entitled to 10X OCBC$.

^DG

OCBC Bank

Suspended
Reaction score

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.