[Official] Chromebook SG

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
@sendtolee Lol, if that's the case then never mind, Intel m3/i3 would be my bare min.

In fact for Chromebook the N processor's are not smooth enough for me, min U processor or m3/i3 processor. :p

When I use linkedin on both chrome and firefox with no other tabs and programs opened, it will be real slow and the cpu utilization will jump up. The cpu utilization is also reflective of the slowness of the built-in graphics cpu.

Opening and closing program is fast using ssd. But running a subroutine inside program is slow.
Hope this helps.
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,552
Reaction score
3,118
Do anyone know how well does windows 10 perform in low-end processors?

Last I heard they're sluggish and barely usable. :(

Reviews on Surface 3 Atom r generally positive. For productivity like office it will do well. It's also fanless. Of cos if u do heavy stuff like rendering n gaming, it's another story
 

Intrinion

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Dec 15, 2012
Messages
36,425
Reaction score
3,247
Pretty good on a Core Atom Z3775 :)
Useable on all accounts. Not too many tabs owing to corresponding low amount of ram. :zotto:

According to a YouTube who used to be a former Microsoft team lead.

10 is actually very polished and optimised compared to say 7. Hur hur

Do anyone know how well does windows 10 perform in low-end processors?

Last I heard they're sluggish and barely usable. :(
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,831
Reaction score
1,780
Do anyone know how well does windows 10 perform in low-end processors?

Last I heard they're sluggish and barely usable. :(

I have 3 low powered machines running windows 10

1) A low powered (15w) desktop with n3150, 4GB Ram 120GB SSD, 4TB HDD, using it to download terrabytes of videos, remuxing mkv and uploading to google drive. It has SSD so the slowness is not felt. I can remux mkv, surf the net using firefox and play videos using hardware encoder simultaneously.

2) A windows tablet (1w on 50% brightness) with intel z8300, 2GB RAM and 32GB EMMC. I can surf web and use office at the same time. I use this as a PSP emulator using PPSSPP and also watch videos in train. Also use this for quick photoshop or editing pdf using Acrobat X.

3) The toshiba chromebook (7w typical usage) with n2840 (previous gen of n3150) and 16GB EMMC. I previously used this for typing notes in uni. The video hardware encoder is not as good as n3150/z8300 so it is laggy when surfing firefox if you watch video. However for note taking/office and surfing the net it has no problem.

All these low powered devices work well with windows 10 after you disable unnecessary services (eg tablet PC), disable hibernate, disable system restore, disable windows security center, disable windows defender. For example for my chromebook, I have 400MB ram usage on first bootup. Also use firefox instead of chrome

What will be your usage? You may not need to buy i3 after you trim windows 10 first. For newer low powered processors, there is n3450 (n3150 replacement with 10 bit 4k HEVC decoder), z8350 (slilght speed bump for z8300), n4200 (N3700 replacement with 10bit 4k hevc), core m3-7Y30 (M3-6Y30 replacement).

The performance ranking based on CPU performance is
m3-7Y30 > M3-6Y30 > N4200 > z8750/z8700 > N3700 / N3450 > N3150 >Z8350/Z8300

Hardware encoder is very important so that video playback will be smooth.
Atom z3775/n2840 are no go for hevc, but since you cant buy anymore it doesnt matter.
For most plebs, z8300/n3150/n3700/M3-6Y30 are sufficient for up to 4k 8 bit 30 fps HEVC (h265) / AVC (h264).
The best is if you buy m3-7Y30/N4200/N3450 for that 4k 10bit 60 fps HEVC videos
 
Last edited:

generalwu

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
601
Reaction score
0
I have 3 low powered machines running windows 10

1) A low powered (15w) desktop with n3150, 4GB Ram 120GB SSD, 4TB HDD, using it to download terrabytes of videos, remuxing mkv and uploading to google drive. It has SSD so the slowness is not felt. I can remux mkv, surf the net using firefox and play videos using hardware encoder simultaneously.

2) A windows tablet (1w on 50% brightness) with intel z8300, 2GB RAM and 32GB EMMC. I can surf web and use office at the same time. I use this as a PSP emulator using PPSSPP and also watch videos in train. Also use this for quick photoshop or editing pdf using Acrobat X.

3) The toshiba chromebook (7w typical usage) with n2840 (previous gen of n3150) and 16GB EMMC. I previously used this for typing notes in uni. The video hardware encoder is not as good as n3150/z8300 so it is laggy when surfing firefox if you watch video. However for note taking/office and surfing the net it has no problem.

All these low powered devices work well with windows 10 after you disable unnecessary services (eg tablet PC), disable hibernate, disable system restore, disable windows security center, disable windows defender. For example for my chromebook, I have 400MB ram usage on first bootup. Also use firefox instead of chrome

What will be your usage? You may not need to buy i3 after you trim windows 10 first. For newer low powered processors, there is n3450 (n3150 replacement with 10 bit 4k HEVC decoder), z8350 (slilght speed bump for z8300), n4200 (N3700 replacement with 10bit 4k hevc), core m3-7Y30 (M3-6Y30 replacement).

The performance ranking based on CPU performance is
m3-7Y30 > M3-6Y30 > N4200 > z8750/z8700 > N3700 / N3450 > N3150 >Z8350/Z8300

Hardware encoder is very important so that video playback will be smooth.
Atom z3775/n2840 are no go for hevc, but since you cant buy anymore it doesnt matter.
For most plebs, z8300/n3150/n3700/M3-6Y30 are sufficient for up to 4k 8 bit 30 fps HEVC (h265) / AVC (h264).
The best is if you buy m3-7Y30/N4200/N3450 for that 4k 10bit 60 fps HEVC videos

Great information you've shared here, thanks. :eek:

I'll not look down on low-end processor anymore. :s13:
 

harux89

Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I am intending to buy a chromebook, from some reading, it seems that buying from Amazon is the best option. Anything do I need to take note of when selecting one?
- Voltage?
- Plug? Most likely is US Plug I suppose

Anyone bought before via services like ezbuy?
 

trento

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2007
Messages
65,552
Reaction score
3,118
Hi all, I am intending to buy a chromebook, from some reading, it seems that buying from Amazon is the best option. Anything do I need to take note of when selecting one?
- Voltage?
- Plug? Most likely is US Plug I suppose

Anyone bought before via services like ezbuy?

Voltage no problem. Plug will be US 2 pin. Just use adaptor
 

generalwu

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
601
Reaction score
0
@harux89 Actually Amazon does ships to SG thru their AmazonGlobal service and there's lots of Chromebook under the service. :D

Try this link: here
 

generalwu

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
601
Reaction score
0
A sad day, my Chromebook can no longer boot up and has a burned smell after a while. :(

Do you guys recon it can be fixed in SG?

Thanks.
 

harux89

Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2009
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
@harux89 Actually Amazon does ships to SG thru their AmazonGlobal service and there's lots of Chromebook under the service. :D

Try this link: here

I am confused about this actually. Is that definitive list?

Question is because in the item list, I see item A and Amazon says that it is "Eligible for shipping to Singapore", but when I go into the actual product page, it says "This item does not ship to Singapore, Singapore. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." wheres the Price still says "$XXX.XX + No Import Fees Deposit & FREE Shipping to Singapore"

Anyways, I already pulled the trigger on ASUS C300SA. Really budget model.. just intending to do some html/css/javascript via sublime on crouton.
 

Rock-kun

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
991
Reaction score
1
Great information you've shared here, thanks. :eek:

I'll not look down on low-end processor anymore. :s13:

Or you can just put a recent Linux distribution on the Chromebook and completely not have to worry about performance, y'know?

I have Fedora 23 running on a 9 year old Acer with only 2GB of memory with all the eye candy and animations turned on and that thing flies, even with a mightly slow 5400rpm HDD and the processor throttled to 525MHz. And you still get the full desktop experience with all manner of desktop applications.
 

parkson

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2014
Messages
639
Reaction score
126
Anyone got the Samsung Chromebook Pro? Thinking of upgrading, currently using Acer Chromebook 14.
 
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
343
Reaction score
14
Please Suggest

Greetings Experts :)

I need to buy a Chromebook for my sister who is in JC.

Please advise.

1) Typical usage, Web surfing, Google Documents. Limited video. NO GAME.

2) Since used for school work, internet may not be available all time. so offline storage of at least 50GB is required.Now a days all Chromebook do not have offline large capacity storage. What are the options?

2.a) Can I buy 250 GB Micro SD /SD and slot in?
2.b) Is the performance is transparent?
2.c) Is the Usability Access easy and convenient with Micro-SD?
2.d) Can the google drive sync automatically with SD Card?
2.e) Any other option

3) What is the minimum RAM Size I should select for decent performance?

4) 11.x" display seems small. sometime students share screen and discuss.Prefer 13.x size display

5) Better to buy Amazon.com or locally any suggestion? Any school store?

6) What is the processor I should choose?

7) Any other limitation I should be aware?

8) Should I buy now or Wait till next computer exhibition? I am not in hurry.


Thank you
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,831
Reaction score
1,780
Greetings Experts :)

I need to buy a Chromebook for my sister who is in JC.

Please advise.

1) Typical usage, Web surfing, Google Documents. Limited video. NO GAME.

2) Since used for school work, internet may not be available all time. so offline storage of at least 50GB is required.Now a days all Chromebook do not have offline large capacity storage. What are the options?

2.a) Can I buy 250 GB Micro SD /SD and slot in?
2.b) Is the performance is transparent?
2.c) Is the Usability Access easy and convenient with Micro-SD?
2.d) Can the google drive sync automatically with SD Card?
2.e) Any other option

3) What is the minimum RAM Size I should select for decent performance?

4) 11.x" display seems small. sometime students share screen and discuss.Prefer 13.x size display

5) Better to buy Amazon.com or locally any suggestion? Any school store?

6) What is the processor I should choose?

7) Any other limitation I should be aware?

8) Should I buy now or Wait till next computer exhibition? I am not in hurry.


Thank you

I used a chromebook in uni. Not recommended for a tech-idiot. Google's office suite lacks a lot. You can use dropbox+ edit online via office 365 online. But need wifi to do so and if you're offline can't save. Even online office 365 sometimes feel laggy.

Before windows came to my chromebook, I had to install linux to use office 2010. Even then its troublesome and I had to reinstall linux a few times.

Long story short, just get a cheap windows 10 laptop. Acer ones being sold at NTUC cost like $350 onwards which is reasonable. Alternatively you can buy at lazada acer offical online store. Currently you can get $60 credits if you pay via fuzzie app.

Buying a windows 10 laptop from manufacturers come with lots of bloatware and a lot of unnecessary processes running. People get sick of their cheap laptops running slow. But if you take the time to read up on how to disable these things, windows 10 runs as well as windows 7.

Take note that cheap laptops that comes with 32gb or 64gb storage do not have SATA, so you can't upgrade the hard drive. Buying a high capacity sd card looks good on paper, but not practical. Sometimes the built in SD card reader gets disconnected and you need to reinsert a few times to get it working again. You're better off with a microsd card reader+micro sd card.

Yes 11 inch is too small. You cannot open pdf+word document side by side and read it comfortably.

As for processor, when youre at the store, google the processor and make sure its quad core.
 
Last edited:

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Greetings Experts :)

I need to buy a Chromebook for my sister who is in JC.

Please advise.

1) Typical usage, Web surfing, Google Documents. Limited video. NO GAME.

2) Since used for school work, internet may not be available all time. so offline storage of at least 50GB is required.Now a days all Chromebook do not have offline large capacity storage. What are the options?

2.a) Can I buy 250 GB Micro SD /SD and slot in?
2.b) Is the performance is transparent?
2.c) Is the Usability Access easy and convenient with Micro-SD?
2.d) Can the google drive sync automatically with SD Card?
2.e) Any other option

3) What is the minimum RAM Size I should select for decent performance?

4) 11.x" display seems small. sometime students share screen and discuss.Prefer 13.x size display

5) Better to buy Amazon.com or locally any suggestion? Any school store?

6) What is the processor I should choose?

7) Any other limitation I should be aware?

8) Should I buy now or Wait till next computer exhibition? I am not in hurry.


Thank you

What budget are you planning?
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,831
Reaction score
1,780
Cm1DsHQh.jpg


latest quadcore n3450 and 4gb ram for $399 at jurong point ntuc
 

generalwu

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2006
Messages
601
Reaction score
0
@catherineteosg As the others have mention, it's best that you buy a standard laptop for your sister, she might not be able to get used to it.

A second hand laptop from Carousel can be considered if you're tight on budget.

Hope this helps.:p
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top