Official Shiny Things thread—Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftpofmpo

Banned
Joined
Jan 13, 2014
Messages
8,431
Reaction score
1,082
how will a deeper and longer trade/cold war between us and china affect interest rates and us dollar strength?
 

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2009
Messages
9,605
Reaction score
854
Thanks ST for your answer. I have a silly follow-up question. In order to move to a 3 fund portfolio as suggested, I would need to sell my REITs and single name equities. However, is it wise to hold onto my single name equities considering I'm facing a paper loss now? Or should I just bite the bullet and take the loss?

Yep; learning to take a loss is an important part of investing.

And because Singapore doesn’t have any concept of tax on capital gains/losses for individual investors, there’s no benefit to holding on to your losing positions and hoping they come good. You can go ahead and sell them and free up the cash for better investments.

Anyone participate in the IB Stock Yield Enhancement Program ? Roughly what’s the income like ? Are the ETFs on LSE eligible ?

What are the key risks to highlight ?

1) Yep, I use it.
2 & 3) Depends entirely on what you hold—whether it’s a popular stock for short-sellers to borrow or not. Heavily shorted stocks get borrowed more often, and have a higher yield when they get borrowed... but heavily shorted stocks tend to be heavily shorted for a reason.
4) I think they are. IB definitely includes European ETFs, and I think that includes UK ETFs.
5) There is very little risk of any sort. The borrower has to give you cold, hard, cash as collateral—102-105% of the value of the shares they borrow from you, and that amount gets tweaked every day as the value of the shares goes up and down. So if the borrower flakes on the loan, you get to keep the cash.

Hi ST, thanks for your reply.

I'm assuming you meant to use IBKR to trade after converting SGD to USD instead of using IBKR just for FX conversion & transferring the USD back to SCB for trading?

In the case where I prefer to keep all my holdings in SCB, the USD landing fee back in SCB more or less wipe out the 15 bucks saving a month based on my rough calculations. Am I missing anything?

Ah, yeah, you’re right. This would mean you’re effectively paying a decent amount for the privilege of keeping your holdings at Stanchart, though?

how will a deeper and longer trade/cold war between us and china affect interest rates and us dollar strength?

Huh, this is a good question. My reflex, and I’d be open to debate about this, is that those would be two different things.

Most of China’s trade surplus gets recycled into investing in US treasuries. So if there’s less trade because of a “trade war”, there’s less demand for US treasuries; that means incrementally higher interest rates in the USA. (The front end would probably stay lower because the Fed would cut, so I guess that means the trade would be steepeners.)

In the event of a new Cold War... that seems like a risk-off kind of thing, which probably means more demand for treasuries and US dollars (i.e. lower interest rates).
 

Meowtiko

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
9,651
Reaction score
873
Hello everyone, I think you guys hear this a lot but, I am a total newbie that wants to start learning about investments and invest in something, instead of letting my money rot in the bank with low interest rates..

I am mid 20s with a low income, but I have saved up a bit of money and I have about 10-20k to invest in, looking to see how it will turn out in 10 years time or maybe longer

I have read a few threads and some dollarsense websites and I found out a little about SSB, STI ETF and REITs mainly, I don't think I am a day trader kind of person so I think I'll invest a lump sum and hold, I can also put in about $500 monthly for investments in addition to the lump sum.

What is everyone's thoughts and where should I begin with? I really appreciated any help given.. please let me know if I should bring this to PMs if this does not belong here.. much thanks!
 

cassowary18

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2018
Messages
1,819
Reaction score
201
Hello everyone, I think you guys hear this a lot but, I am a total newbie that wants to start learning about investments and invest in something, instead of letting my money rot in the bank with low interest rates..

I am mid 20s with a low income, but I have saved up a bit of money and I have about 10-20k to invest in, looking to see how it will turn out in 10 years time or maybe longer

I have read a few threads and some dollarsense websites and I found out a little about SSB, STI ETF and REITs mainly, I don't think I am a day trader kind of person so I think I'll invest a lump sum and hold, I can also put in about $500 monthly for investments in addition to the lump sum.

What is everyone's thoughts and where should I begin with? I really appreciated any help given.. please let me know if I should bring this to PMs if this does not belong here.. much thanks!

Welcome aboard!

First things first, do you have your existing needs settled? That means paying off any high interest debts, having 6 months of expenses in an emergency fund (stored in a high interest savings account or SSB), and getting the right insurance coverage (at minimum, hospitalization coverage, disability income insurance, and if you have dependents, term life insurance).

Afterwards you can start looking into investing in ETFs. Here we suggest a mix of local stock ETF (STI ETF, either ES3 or G3B), global stock ETF (IWDA or VWRA), and local bond ETF (MBH or A35).

For more information you can read Shiny Things ebook, Rich By Retirement.

All the best!
 

Meowtiko

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
9,651
Reaction score
873
Welcome aboard!

First things first, do you have your existing needs settled? That means paying off any high interest debts, having 6 months of expenses in an emergency fund (stored in a high interest savings account or SSB), and getting the right insurance coverage (at minimum, hospitalization coverage, disability income insurance, and if you have dependents, term life insurance).

Afterwards you can start looking into investing in ETFs. Here we suggest a mix of local stock ETF (STI ETF, either ES3 or G3B), global stock ETF (IWDA or VWRA), and local bond ETF (MBH or A35).

For more information you can read Shiny Things ebook, Rich By Retirement.

All the best!

Yes I have set aside emergency funds in a savings account, and currently have no debts to repay.

I have also read up a little about STI ETF, but not much about global ETF or local bonds yet, I was suggested to invest in some STI ETF and skip on SSB for now due to low int rates, I plan to diversify my portfolio in the near future but have no idea how to go about doing that right now.

I will read up on the the ebook, thanks for the advices!
 

doody_

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
7,508
Reaction score
7
Ah, yeah, you’re right. This would mean you’re effectively paying a decent amount for the privilege of keeping your holdings at Stanchart, though?

It could be a break even if consolidating at SCB gives you priority status and hence no min commission. Else, most brokers will charge a min of $18 per trade. No way to trade SG stocks on IB for SG citizens.
 

darklighter

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 2, 2007
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
9
(*) CPF "Special Account shielding" could potentially involve shielding OA dollars, too, if you plan a cash top up into your RA.

i've seen shielding being mentioned here and there in the many pages over at CPF thread. Could i trouble you to explain what it entails?

Really curious
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,597
No way to trade SG stocks on IB for SG citizens.
IB’s policy has nothing to do with citizenship. It’s based on residence.

i've seen shielding being mentioned here and there in the many pages over at CPF thread. Could i trouble you to explain what it entails?
Sure, it’s a maneuver which involves placing the maximum possible Special Account dollars into a conservative CPF Investment Scheme (SA) investment just prior to one’s 55th birthday via a zero fee platform. The CPF Board then creates the member’s Retirement Account and then funds it primarily from Ordinary Account dollars instead of primarily or exclusively from SA dollars. The member then optionally withdraws any desired OA dollars (and/or transfers some to RA), and finally the member releases the CPF Investment Scheme (SA) dollars — the “shielded” dollars — back to SA. This maneuver means that more dollars are kept in the higher yielding SA. There is a cost of at least one month of lost SA interest to do this.

The member could also raise two shields: one for SA, and another for OA. “Double shielding” members are the ones who make significant cash top ups when their Retirement Accounts are formed. They do this when they feel that 2.5% interest earning OA is also attractive.
 
Last edited:

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Messages
21,818
Reaction score
16,989
regarding min 6 mths of emergency fund...

does it include the amount meant for monthly dca investment?

e.g.
my monthly expenses is 3.5k, i dca 2k per month
so my 6 months of emergency fund should be
a) 6 x 3.5 =21k or
b) 6 x 5.5 =33k ?
 

flowerpalms

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
58,195
Reaction score
18,755
regarding min 6 mths of emergency fund...

does it include the amount meant for monthly dca investment?

e.g.
my monthly expenses is 3.5k, i dca 2k per month
so my 6 months of emergency fund should be
a) 6 x 3.5 =21k or
b) 6 x 5.5 =33k ?
Answer is A

Sent from Samsung SM-G973F using GAGT
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,597
regarding min 6 mths of emergency fund...
does it include the amount meant for monthly dca investment?

Answer is A
Meaning monthly, dollar cost averaged savings are not included, agreed. However, there's nobody who will stop you from including savings if you wish. Then, per your example, if you have an emergency reserve fund of $33K you'd be able to support either 9 months of household expenses without any savings flow or 6 months with your current savings flow -- or something in between such as 8 months, which includes the first 2 months maintaining your current savings flow followed by 6 months without any savings flow.

It's really up to you. I rather like the "2+X" construction, actually, which means sizing an emergency reserve fund so that it includes 2 months of household expenses with your regular savings flow (since it can be mechanically tough to shut off that savings flow immediately anyway) followed by whatever number of additional months you feel comfortable having as a buffer.
 

razoreigns

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
285
Reaction score
11
Thanks ST for your answer. I have a silly follow-up question. In order to move to a 3 fund portfolio as suggested, I would need to sell my REITs and single name equities. However, is it wise to hold onto my single name equities considering I'm facing a paper loss now? Or should I just bite the bullet and take the loss?

A paper loss is a real loss. It's best to look at the stock that you are holding on to - do you have confidence that it will recover? Otherwise, by holding, you are still holding on to a loser and consider the opportunity cost of not switching investment.
 

razoreigns

Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2011
Messages
285
Reaction score
11
regarding min 6 mths of emergency fund...

does it include the amount meant for monthly dca investment?

e.g.
my monthly expenses is 3.5k, i dca 2k per month
so my 6 months of emergency fund should be
a) 6 x 3.5 =21k or
b) 6 x 5.5 =33k ?

Think about this - when you suddenly get retrenched/ some other significant emergency, without any level of certainty for the future, would you be thinking about DCA? You might, but at the back of your mind, you know that every amount that you put into DCA could help tide you over for an additional X period. I know physiologically I would try to preserve cash until the crisis is over before continuing with DCA. So, even if I catered for an additional 2 months worth of DCA, the cash will probably turn into emergency funds for additional X months of living expense, when the crisis hits. But if you already have a very conservative amount as emergency (someone I know had 3 years worth), then its another story.
 

deltawing445

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2013
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
A paper loss is a real loss. It's best to look at the stock that you are holding on to - do you have confidence that it will recover? Otherwise, by holding, you are still holding on to a loser and consider the opportunity cost of not switching investment.
Yea my reits are doing well but my 2 other equities are terrible and are likely not to improve or at least take a long time to recover, so I guess I'll need to bite the bullet on and take the loss.
 

polar27

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
4
Stocks:Bonds ratio

Read Shiny things book, which is nicely written BTW.... Wondering if the allocation to bonds 80% stocks 20% bonds for a beginner, 30 y old investor still holds true given bond yields have dwindled currently? Might it be better to go for complete stocks now and rebalance portfolio with addition of bonds when bond yields pick up? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
 
Last edited:

Thoreldan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2006
Messages
21,818
Reaction score
16,989
Read Shiny things book, which is nicely written BTW.... Wondering if the allocation to bonds 80% stocks 20% for a beginner, 30 y old investor still holds true given bond yields have dwindled currently? Might it be better to go for complete stocks now and rebalance portfolio with addition of bonds when bond yields pick up? Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

i guess u meant to say 80% stock - 20% bond at age 30?
 

polar27

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2016
Messages
44
Reaction score
4
Sorry, yes meant if the 80% stocks 20% bonds for 30y old still hold true now? Don't have a portfolio, so have nothing to rebalance currently :) Thanks for the advice.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top