Official Xperia Z Thread

christopher11

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2013
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Honestly speaking, the quality of the NAND chips are not really the issue for SSD. There are pretty high read/write cycle rated NAND chips used by the major SSDs nowadays.

The problem lies with the quality and the abilities of the network controllers found on the SSD.

A while back, the top SSDs all dependent on Sandforce which was arm-twisted by Intel because the latter helped to fix a major firmware issue but due to cross licensing issues (i believe), Sandforce was unable to roll out patches to its other SSD makers.

I dont think so. Many of the major SSD makers are very strongly tied up with SandFoce for controllers & they seem extremely happy with the 2nd gen SandForce controller SF-2281. Intially most of the SSD makers had compatibility issues with SF-2281 which as of now is fixed & all set to go. As far as I know, SandForce never have had any issues related to licensing with SSD makers.
 

scubyti

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
996
Reaction score
0
Oh I see, that is only based on such info gathered from Starhub Retail and M1 Hotline, what about SingTel.

Guess my info or figures will be more accurate than yours as I can get the figures directly from Sony Mobile Sg. =:p

simi figure now, pm me if not convenience to say... :)
 
Joined
Feb 3, 2012
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Initially I used xperia z for a few months...then move on to HTC One....not bad but the QC of the phone cannot make it...the zero gap technology is bull crap...gaps is every where..and the screen is still small for my eyes...then move on to S4...lag like hell....don't like it....each time just opening whatsapp...the keyboard will take some times to load......haiz...I guess their flagship need firmware polishing before release...

Today I'm proud to be the owner of Xperia Z again....just love the omni balance design.....initially thinking of buying the ZL, heck the price is similar to Z...which cost 760 and 750 respectively...and so I choose to take back the Z....

During the first ownership of the phone..not much of a accessories available..now with SGP ultra optics available..I just love the feel on the xperia Z screen...less finger print retaining the glorious color of the screen...

Nevertheless I'm happy to come back to Xperia Z again....the build quality is a sufficient reason for me to come back to the Z...

The ONE and 4 is no doubt a good phone...if the ONE doesn't have those stupid Gaps...and if S4 doesn't have the plastic build and laggy interface....it will be a pretty good phone..the S4 screen is eye popping....Xperia Z is naturally..where as the ONE is between these 2...so having use all these 3 phones..I can safely recommend Xperia Z as people's first choice..if the ONE is perfectly QCed, it would have taken the throne in my phone list...

Enough say....enjoying my Z at the moment...
 

scubyti

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
996
Reaction score
0
Initially I used xperia z for a few months...then move on to HTC One....not bad but the QC of the phone cannot make it...the zero gap technology is bull crap...gaps is every where..and the screen is still small for my eyes...then move on to S4...lag like hell....don't like it....each time just opening whatsapp...the keyboard will take some times to load......haiz...I guess their flagship need firmware polishing before release...

Today I'm proud to be the owner of Xperia Z again....just love the omni balance design.....initially thinking of buying the ZL, heck the price is similar to Z...which cost 760 and 750 respectively...and so I choose to take back the Z....

During the first ownership of the phone..not much of a accessories available..now with SGP ultra optics available..I just love the feel on the xperia Z screen...less finger print retaining the glorious color of the screen...

Nevertheless I'm happy to come back to Xperia Z again....the build quality is a sufficient reason for me to come back to the Z...

The ONE and 4 is no doubt a good phone...if the ONE doesn't have those stupid Gaps...and if S4 doesn't have the plastic build and laggy interface....it will be a pretty good phone..the S4 screen is eye popping....Xperia Z is naturally..where as the ONE is between these 2...so having use all these 3 phones..I can safely recommend Xperia Z as people's first choice..if the ONE is perfectly QCed, it would have taken the throne in my phone list...

Enough say....enjoying my Z at the moment...

welcome home my friend... :)
 

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,965
Reaction score
1
Initially I used xperia z for a few months...then move on to HTC One....not bad but the QC of the phone cannot make it...the zero gap technology is bull crap...gaps is every where..and the screen is still small for my eyes...then move on to S4...lag like hell....don't like it....each time just opening whatsapp...the keyboard will take some times to load......haiz...I guess their flagship need firmware polishing before release...

Today I'm proud to be the owner of Xperia Z again....just love the omni balance design.....initially thinking of buying the ZL, heck the price is similar to Z...which cost 760 and 750 respectively...and so I choose to take back the Z....

During the first ownership of the phone..not much of a accessories available..now with SGP ultra optics available..I just love the feel on the xperia Z screen...less finger print retaining the glorious color of the screen...

Nevertheless I'm happy to come back to Xperia Z again....the build quality is a sufficient reason for me to come back to the Z...

The ONE and 4 is no doubt a good phone...if the ONE doesn't have those stupid Gaps...and if S4 doesn't have the plastic build and laggy interface....it will be a pretty good phone..the S4 screen is eye popping....Xperia Z is naturally..where as the ONE is between these 2...so having use all these 3 phones..I can safely recommend Xperia Z as people's first choice..if the ONE is perfectly QCed, it would have taken the throne in my phone list...

Enough say....enjoying my Z at the moment...

Love your review!
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
Initially I used xperia z for a few months...then move on to HTC One....not bad but the QC of the phone cannot make it...the zero gap technology is bull crap...gaps is every where..and the screen is still small for my eyes...then move on to S4...lag like hell....don't like it....each time just opening whatsapp...the keyboard will take some times to load......haiz...I guess their flagship need firmware polishing before release...

Today I'm proud to be the owner of Xperia Z again....just love the omni balance design.....initially thinking of buying the ZL, heck the price is similar to Z...which cost 760 and 750 respectively...and so I choose to take back the Z....

During the first ownership of the phone..not much of a accessories available..now with SGP ultra optics available..I just love the feel on the xperia Z screen...less finger print retaining the glorious color of the screen...

Nevertheless I'm happy to come back to Xperia Z again....the build quality is a sufficient reason for me to come back to the Z...

The ONE and 4 is no doubt a good phone...if the ONE doesn't have those stupid Gaps...and if S4 doesn't have the plastic build and laggy interface....it will be a pretty good phone..the S4 screen is eye popping....Xperia Z is naturally..where as the ONE is between these 2...so having use all these 3 phones..I can safely recommend Xperia Z as people's first choice..if the ONE is perfectly QCed, it would have taken the throne in my phone list...

Enough say....enjoying my Z at the moment...

Welcome home to the family of Xperia Z!

That is why Sony focus on the User Experience like stability of the phone, user friendly interface and also practical function like Small Apps which user will find useful in their daily life and not those gimmick features which are not practical and drain the battery.

Guess your sharing is very useful to those who cannot decide between the three smartphones, Xperia Z, HTC One and S4.
 
Last edited:

happily1986

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2007
Messages
1,192
Reaction score
110
I dont think so. Many of the major SSD makers are very strongly tied up with SandFoce for controllers & they seem extremely happy with the 2nd gen SandForce controller SF-2281. Intially most of the SSD makers had compatibility issues with SF-2281 which as of now is fixed & all set to go. As far as I know, SandForce never have had any issues related to licensing with SSD makers.
[BR]
Like the 520/330/335 that came before it, Intel’s SSD 525 uses a custom SandForce firmware that’s only available on Intel SSDs. SandForce doesn’t give Intel access to its firmware source code, however any bugs and fixes found as a result of Intel’s own validation are incorporated into the Intel firmware. Intel retains some period of exclusivity on the features included in its custom SandForce firmware.

AnandTech | Intel SSD 525 Review (240GB)

but for now the Cherryville firmware remains exclusive. Intel wouldn't go on record with details of its arrangement with SandForce, but from what I've managed to piece together the Intel Cherryville firmware is exclusive for a limited period of time. That exclusivity agreement likely expires sometime after the SF-2281 is replaced by a 3rd generation controller.

This is actually a dangerous precedent as it means one of two things. The first possibility is that SandForce has been made aware of flaws in its current firmware and chooses against (or is legally prevented from) disclosing it to its partners. The second possibility, and arguably even worse for SandForce, is that Intel was able to identify and fix a bug in the SF-2281 firmware without SandForce knowing it existed or was addressed. I suspect it's the former but as no one is willing to go on the record about the Intel/SandForce agreement I can't be certain

AnandTech | Intel SSD 520 Review: Cherryville Brings Reliability to SandForce

I am sure you need no further introduction to Sandforce's SF-2281's infamous power state logic BSOD bug which plagued many SSD users for quite a long time. of course, firmware patches have already been rolled out long ago.
 
Last edited:

daniel_83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2001
Messages
17,101
Reaction score
602
Initially I used xperia z for a few months...then move on to HTC One....not bad but the QC of the phone cannot make it...the zero gap technology is bull crap...gaps is every where..and the screen is still small for my eyes...then move on to S4...lag like hell....don't like it....each time just opening whatsapp...the keyboard will take some times to load......haiz...I guess their flagship need firmware polishing before release...

Today I'm proud to be the owner of Xperia Z again....just love the omni balance design.....initially thinking of buying the ZL, heck the price is similar to Z...which cost 760 and 750 respectively...and so I choose to take back the Z....

During the first ownership of the phone..not much of a accessories available..now with SGP ultra optics available..I just love the feel on the xperia Z screen...less finger print retaining the glorious color of the screen...

Nevertheless I'm happy to come back to Xperia Z again....the build quality is a sufficient reason for me to come back to the Z...

The ONE and 4 is no doubt a good phone...if the ONE doesn't have those stupid Gaps...and if S4 doesn't have the plastic build and laggy interface....it will be a pretty good phone..the S4 screen is eye popping....Xperia Z is naturally..where as the ONE is between these 2...so having use all these 3 phones..I can safely recommend Xperia Z as people's first choice..if the ONE is perfectly QCed, it would have taken the throne in my phone list...

Enough say....enjoying my Z at the moment...

xperia z where got ULTRA OPTICS? I go SGP website also cannot find..
 

wolvie77

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
2,147
Reaction score
15
Mine updated since 3 days ago.

Hi! how did u do the update? my sis's z now got problems browsing, updating & downloading apps in the old store. keeps receiving timeout message. my set was updated without me even knowing.
 

N3wXTyp3

Master Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,965
Reaction score
1
Hi! how did u do the update? my sis's z now got problems browsing, updating & downloading apps in the old store. keeps receiving timeout message. my set was updated without me even knowing.

I did read about the rollout but I did not do anything.

I just login and volia... new layout.

I suggest you all to try this.

Clear the cache and the login 1 more time (from setting --> Application) app. I believe it will be updated as long as the data is not cached.
 

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
17,819
Reaction score
107
download the apk and update yourself lo.
i don't really like this new market.
like the old Froyo/Gingerbread theme, white and green
 

materick

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2000
Messages
9,116
Reaction score
2
sony xperia z speaker:

after washing the phone, seems that due to water being stuck in the speaker, volume is really soft and sound is crappy.

after leaving the phone to dry for a few hours, volume is back to extra loud and clear.

anyone has the same issues?
 

gapboy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
20,553
Reaction score
6,445
sony xperia z speaker:

after washing the phone, seems that due to water being stuck in the speaker, volume is really soft and sound is crappy.

after leaving the phone to dry for a few hours, volume is back to extra loud and clear.

anyone has the same issues?

materick this is normal, the membrane on the speaker stop water getting in and dry off after thus sound get louder
 

materick

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 7, 2000
Messages
9,116
Reaction score
2
materick this is normal, the membrane on the speaker stop water getting in and dry off after thus sound get louder

kk thanks thanks.

just did a search and seems everyone is facing the same issue......


tks
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top