Opening Malaysian bank account

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I read the CIMB's Airasia account website.
It states CIMB AirAsia Savers Account is open to all Malaysians citizens, residents, permanent residents and non-residents with minimum age of 18 years old and above....... can be opened by walking into any of CIMB Bank’s branches nationwide. You will need to bring your NRIC or passport and a minimum initial deposit of RM250.

so it seems we can walk-in to open at the branch of choice, and dont need to go Raffles to help open at the Pelangi branch.

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just opened a CIMB My account today. Here's my experience:

1. I went personally to CIMB Tun Aminah Branch. They will ask if you are a resident, work permit etc.
2. Brought NRIC and Passport
3. They asked for a Malaysian address (MUST have/ provide). Need to provide phone number
(I used a MYl no. so not sure if a Singapore no. is accepted) and employer name
4. After 20 mins, issued a debit card, and told to deposit RM 250 on the spot
5. account opened is the eco-Save-i (card annual fee RM 15, minimum bal RM 20)
6. Clicks MY profile need debit card no. and PIN to register. Can do it on the spot or at home. You can link CIMB SG account into CIMB MY clicks profile

Was told, need to visit any CIMB MY branch to update passport and debit card before expiry. Otherwise, it's fully online.

FX rates to send MYR back to SG accounts is -2% mark down + >RM10 svc charge

Last edited:

funky05

Reaction score

1. I went personally to CIMB Tun Aminah Branch. They will ask if you are a resident, work permit etc.
3. They asked for a Malaysian address (MUST have/ provide). Need to provide phone number
6. Clicks MY profile need debit card no. and PIN to register. Can do it on the spot or at home. You can link CIMB SG account into CIMB MY clicks profile

Was told, need to visit any CIMB MY branch to update passport and debit card before expiry. Otherwise, it's fully online.

Update password and debit card before expiry? hmmm...But we will only know the new passport number after it expires right ?

And you had a Malaysian address to provide ?

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Update password and debit card before expiry? hmmm...But we will only know the new passport number after it expires right ?

SG doesn't need us to wait until the passport expires before we're allowed to apply for a new one.

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can renew your passport any time (not just < 6 months to expiry). I provided a Malaysian address as well, yeah. Cannot put Singapore address. They say nothing will be sent there (you get your debit card on the spot). But I believe any account issues (dormant account etc), they will still snail mail.

funky05

Reaction score
You can renew your passport any time (not just < 6 months to expiry). I provided a Malaysian address as well, yeah. Cannot put Singapore address. They say nothing will be sent there (you get your debit card on the spot). But I believe any account issues (dormant account etc), they will still snail mail.
I opened my account in SG 2020. They snail mail all the documents and debit card, all the way from KL.

yobyella

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Can Sprean open up a savings account with Msian banks?

yobyella

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not all banks, that's why we approached CIMB SG in the first place

Cos i tried MalayanBank at JB. The RO told me foreigners are not allowed to open up savings bank or FD account. Unless he/she has some business dealings in Msia like having a property and need to pay bills, working in Msia etc. Glad to know CIMB (M) able to accept new non-residents account holders.

Last edited:

Habrosus

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cos i tried MalayanBank at JB. The RO told me foreigners are not allowed to open up savings bank or FD account. Unless he/she has some business dealings in Msia like having a property and need to pay bills, working in Msia etc. Glad to know CIMB (M) able to accept new non-residents account holders.
You got it...

yobyella

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cant open savings bank account if walk in to banks in Msia. But can do so in Spore. Malaysia really Boleh.:unsure:

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can Sprean open up a savings account with Msian banks?
Yeah im a non resident SGrean tourist with no ties to malaysia (never a worker or held any visas etc). What I had was a malaysian phone no and managed to provide a local address and opened the account on the spot within half hour.
To maintain a SG phone and address for the CIMB MY account, it seems only the opening via CIMB SG can overcome this issue.

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i opened my account in jb many years ago. 8 to 10 yrs ago i think. that time is paper statements era. i used SG address(show SG bank statement n sg passport) n jb number. now any change now i duno.

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

koreanlover

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My CIMB debit card is expiring next month.

Do you mean I have to change to a new debit card at the branch in JB?
They won't send it to my SG address?
My acct was opened way before covid in JB and they sent a letter of dormancy to my SG address last year, asking me to use the acct before they closed it lol.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.