Pls recommend ground coffee powder.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
19,469
Reaction score
6,808
just bought this from supermarket, about $5, got coffee taste but not fragrant, so not so satisfied.

(using coffee filter bag for this)

any recommendations?

Screenshot-2026-05-20-19-01-40-003-com-shopee-sg-edit.jpg
IMHO.
How the coffee is made plays a crucial part.
 

iammole

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 17, 2007
Messages
39,155
Reaction score
6,740
is there anyway to tell if the bean are not roasted with butter or margarine?
it's never butter coz butter is expensive and can't take high heat, it's always margarine that's used.

Unless specifically stated no margarine is used, otherwise can safely assumed it's added by default for "Nanyang coffee"
 

testerjp

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2006
Messages
46,370
Reaction score
15,804
Powder means the bean broken up to thousands of pieces and exposed inside out to oxidise. By a week from grinding it's totally stale and is worth nothing. :o

And these coffee are those trashy kind that is rossted with margarine, using the lowest of the lowest quality beans. Added with sugar, maize as fillers, msg and other enhancers to cook you a pack of carcinogen. :o

Besides oxidation, it's also affected by uv light. No decent roasters will put into a transparent bag like that. This bag is at best used as fertilizer. :o
 

PiKa

Honorary Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
118,432
Reaction score
10,328
Lam Yeo uses foiled bags for their artisian blends!
 

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,154
Reaction score
13,120
is there anyway to tell if the bean are not roasted with butter or margarine?
uh use your nose. Beans roasted with sugar and additives have a distinct profile. Our nanyang and vietnamese roasts are all done woth additives. That is one reason why our kopi tastes so different from say a americano or expresso.
 

Overture1928

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
8,994
Reaction score
5,552
I lazy, prefer already grounded ones where I can buy off supermarket or online Shopee.
If you have spare cash, invest in an electric grinder

Freshly ground beans really hits different. You can also adjust the coarseness to suit your taste.

When I was gifted pre-ground powder, they were good only for the first few drinks. If you insist on using pre-ground ones, then I’ll suggest to give Vietnamese brands a go.

But I think they roasted their beans with cocoa, sugar and some other additives which is why the taste tend to be more consistent ‘cause it has been thoroughly rojak-ed
 

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,154
Reaction score
13,120
Powder means the bean broken up to thousands of pieces and exposed inside out to oxidise. By a week from grinding it's totally stale and is worth nothing. :o

And these coffee are those trashy kind that is rossted with margarine, using the lowest of the lowest quality beans. Added with sugar, maize as fillers, msg and other enhancers to cook you a pack of carcinogen. :o

Besides oxidation, it's also affected by uv light. No decent roasters will put into a transparent bag like that. This bag is at best used as fertilizer. :o
This one btw I put it through my grading sieve to see if I could get something I could brew without a sock, boulders be damned. It is something like 30% by volume microfine dust that passed the 0.6mm holes of my sieve.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,349
Reaction score
7,987
The best are those grind into powder that included insect parts.
 

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,154
Reaction score
13,120
The best are those grind into powder that included insect parts.
All our ground coffee regardless of grade contains ground insect parts. Any plant based food does. I don’t think there is any detectable flavor profile identifiable though, since the content is probably measured in the micrograms per serving.

I raise you the the best are those grind into powder that have been in the anus of a civet cat.
 

keewee0415

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2010
Messages
32,401
Reaction score
11,654
Go to Fairprice Xtra at VivoCity Tiong Hoe booth at B2.

You can smell the beans first then ask them to roast and grind to your specifications.
 

zueinder

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2009
Messages
8,001
Reaction score
4,806
Asking for ground coffee recommendation is really ironic. Coffee always improves greatly from being freshly ground. Even chains like Ya Kun and Toastbox try to do this and not pre-grind their coffee in large quantities.
 

fade_white

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
46,222
Reaction score
6,002
Previously when I was still hardworking enough to brew my own coffee, I got them from nylon coffee roasters.
 

KPO_SAHM

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2018
Messages
31,124
Reaction score
14,217
just bought this from supermarket, about $5, got coffee taste but not fragrant, so not so satisfied.

(using coffee filter bag for this)

any recommendations?

Screenshot-2026-05-20-19-01-40-003-com-shopee-sg-edit.jpg


Nanyang kopi is mixed with corns n margarine! And fried till burnt. I don drink such kopi. I prefer ucc
 

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,154
Reaction score
13,120
Asking for ground coffee recommendation is really ironic. Coffee always improves greatly from being freshly ground. Even chains like Ya Kun and Toastbox try to do this and not pre-grind their coffee in large quantities.
Well I have to admit even as I am a coffee snob, I do keep pre-ground coffee around because time is needed for good coffee to be made, and sometimes life and poor planning doesn't allow the time to baby a brew. My preferred cheap and easy pre-grind is a blue can from Key. Available in NTUC I believe. Or was it Donki. Not recommending to TS because the taste is completely different from Nanyang.

Shhh. I even have instant coffee sticks for the most desperate of times. I found this rather pricey brand called Avalanche which makes passable instant coffee. Especially so that they are diabetic friendly. I can't drink any 2-1 or 3-1 ordinarily.
 

ceestudent

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
19,036
Reaction score
3,675
Btw, this product ingredients is 50% coffee powder, 50% (maize, sugar and margarine). No wonder it is only 10$ per kg... cheapest coffee bean is around 25-30$/kg. what you can expect from coffee powder with main ingredient only 50%?
See from here: https://www.coffeehock.com.sg/products/2898-coffee-mixture?variant=52088356503712

Yes, kopitiam use this with sock. But you need to see the amount of coffee they used per cup. It is way more than just 1 small sachet. Some more the kopi maker will extract it few times.
 

zueinder

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2009
Messages
8,001
Reaction score
4,806
Well I have to admit even as I am a coffee snob, I do keep pre-ground coffee around because time is needed for good coffee to be made, and sometimes life and poor planning doesn't allow the time to baby a brew. My preferred cheap and easy pre-grind is a blue can from Key. Available in NTUC I believe. Or was it Donki. Not recommending to TS because the taste is completely different from Nanyang.

Shhh. I even have instant coffee sticks for the most desperate of times. I found this rather pricey brand called Avalanche which makes passable instant coffee. Especially so that they are diabetic friendly. I can't drink any 2-1 or 3-1 ordinarily.
Huh? Electric grinder how expensive? You ok boh?
 

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,154
Reaction score
13,120
Btw folk here should give chicory coffee a spin. In WW2, coffee was limited and often chicory root was used as a substitute. I've always been meaning to order in a batch to see what it really tastes like.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top