SAMSUNG GALAXY Note 3 Experience Sharing

Xerovix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,812
Reaction score
71
i almost fainted when i saw the settings screen. So many features which i dunno to on or off. So many services running in the BG as well

play around the "Data usage" on apps. restricting some apps from accessing or restrict it to wifi only can save battery.
 

tankib

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
694
Reaction score
0
Yeah I know about the current thing, but the problem you see, I believe it's the bad optimisation between Android 4.3 or Snapdragon S800 eating too much battery while using.

I charged my Note 2 via USB 2.0 cable, it's going up
I charged my Note 3 via USB 3.0 cable, it's going down, slowly

Given the battery capacity difference by only a little, the only way I think it's the Snap S800 eating too much battery, as well as the 1080p screen.

I hate it when I can't charge my Phone via USB desktop, even with USB 3.0...

It a trade off, note 3 size is almost a tablet and cannot use a power that charge a 3.5" phone to charge ur note 3, it take more than 4 hrs, hence have to upgrade the AC charger but can really support using USB port on the laptop.
 

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 29, 2011
Messages
5,911
Reaction score
7
Yeah I know about the current thing, but the problem you see, I believe it's the bad optimisation between Android 4.3 or Snapdragon S800 eating too much battery while using.

I charged my Note 2 via USB 2.0 cable, it's going up
I charged my Note 3 via USB 3.0 cable, it's going down, slowly

Given the battery capacity difference by only a little, the only way I think it's the Snap S800 eating too much battery, as well as the 1080p screen.

I hate it when I can't charge my Phone via USB desktop, even with USB 3.0...
I had Xperia Z Ultra which is a snapdragon800.
i do not feel that it is a battrry sucker...play online games as well.
perhaps you could share what you were doing so i could put Nite 3 n Ultra to the same test
For Ultra, it uses magnetic port which could charge a flat phone to full in 1hours....but no sync to PC.
Or perhaps, a usb port v2 could support v3 but slow...just like usb 1 could suppprt 2 but very alow
 

Jhyun

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
5,764
Reaction score
16
Tried copying movies to the phone thru USB 3. Blazing fast,so shiok
 

ronnlim

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,185
Reaction score
19
I had Xperia Z Ultra which is a snapdragon800.
i do not feel that it is a battrry sucker...play online games as well.
perhaps you could share what you were doing so i could put Nite 3 n Ultra to the same test
For Ultra, it uses magnetic port which could charge a flat phone to full in 1hours....but no sync to PC.
Or perhaps, a usb port v2 could support v3 but slow...just like usb 1 could suppprt 2 but very alow

Notice camera portion bit hot after playing games for 20 mins
 

Jhyun

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2003
Messages
5,764
Reaction score
16
The camera focusing part is a major letdown honestly. Hope they fix it soon.
 

zXioNGz

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2008
Messages
9,520
Reaction score
235
I had Xperia Z Ultra which is a snapdragon800.
i do not feel that it is a battrry sucker...play online games as well.
perhaps you could share what you were doing so i could put Nite 3 n Ultra to the same test
For Ultra, it uses magnetic port which could charge a flat phone to full in 1hours....but no sync to PC.
Or perhaps, a usb port v2 could support v3 but slow...just like usb 1 could suppprt 2 but very alow

Hi, thanks for the input, I'm just using it normally like whatsapp etc, but I tried turning off the screen and leave it to charge, the % still stuck at 83% even after 15mins of not using it at all.

I believe Sony got this option to choose, Charging mode or Mass Storage mode right? while Samsung doesn't have this, so we are stucked at 900mA while in Mass Storage mode, whereas USB 3.0 can support up to 1500mA if it's set to charging mode.

PS: The AC charger with USB 3.0 cable is really fast, I just put in for 1-2mins jumped from 83% to 85%. The problem now is Note 2 is charging well with USB 2.0 but Note 3 not charging with USB 3.0
 
Last edited:

Bapenigo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2005
Messages
5,548
Reaction score
7
Firstly, which Telco n where u reside?
why 3G?...shd b using at 4G
What are you trying to do to say its slower...
I am with M1 and staying at chinatown. Even the reception is only 2 bar for 3G and 4G.
Because just 1 days of use with 4G and my data usage is already 139MB.

Was trying to browse hwz and its staggering.
 
Last edited:

Apparatus

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 27, 2005
Messages
58,284
Reaction score
13,842
Yeah I know about the current thing, but the problem you see, I believe it's the bad optimisation between Android 4.3 or Snapdragon S800 eating too much battery while using.

I charged my Note 2 via USB 2.0 cable, it's going up
I charged my Note 3 via USB 3.0 cable, it's going down, slowly

Given the battery capacity difference by only a little, the only way I think it's the Snap S800 eating too much battery, as well as the 1080p screen.

I hate it when I can't charge my Phone via USB desktop, even with USB 3.0...

Measure the charging current using the app. If it shows low current then something is wrong with either the cable, the charger or the phone. If I'm not wrong you can do exchange at the shop where you bought from within 3 days if purchase.
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,882
Reaction score
5,208
GPS on but no app using GPS means no battery being sucked. Only when app using GPS i.e. facebook will the battery level drop. GPS not like wifi. when you on wifi even if not connected to network will suck battery. GPS will only suck when its being used.

Not true leh

I do find a noticeable difference with GPS on and off

Think it's probably cos Android runs a crapload of apps in the background that tap on GPS
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,882
Reaction score
5,208
What is the normal RAM usage like...
mine was like 1.3gb used... 1.2gb available....

so much usage?

Think Android loads a lot of stuff into the background

I tend to clear my cache once in a while using my Note 2 but a lot less frequently than when I was on S3...hahah
 

standarture

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
62,858
Reaction score
19,447
GPS and WIFI is active all the time one. Maybe you can try and see, if you open your maps, you'll notice that the location is usually always updated. If I on GPS, my battery will drop one. Off GPS and wifi, the phone when screen off, the percentage barely drops.
 

carey

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2002
Messages
40,882
Reaction score
5,208
GPS and WIFI is active all the time one. Maybe you can try and see, if you open your maps, you'll notice that the location is usually always updated. If I on GPS, my battery will drop one. Off GPS and wifi, the phone when screen off, the percentage barely drops.

Location services - i usually off them haha
 

Xerovix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
20,812
Reaction score
71
Think Android loads a lot of stuff into the background

I tend to clear my cache once in a while using my Note 2 but a lot less frequently than when I was on S3...hahah

using android assistant to auto boost the ram every 10 mins:s13:
 

FuzzyLop

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
674
Reaction score
15
GPS and WIFI is active all the time one. Maybe you can try and see, if you open your maps, you'll notice that the location is usually always updated. If I on GPS, my battery will drop one. Off GPS and wifi, the phone when screen off, the percentage barely drops.

Your location always updated in gmaps cause the location lock is very fast. It uses agps which will use your current cell tower + nearby wifi signal to immediately narrow down your location. Then the calculation for the gps satellite is super fast.



Try this. Off GPS, On wifi, On network location and walk around under your block. Your location would be updated quite accurately even though your GPS is off.

src: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/how-google-and-everyone-else-gets-wi-fi-location-data/1664

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2422689,00.asp

Not true leh

I do find a noticeable difference with GPS on and off

Think it's probably cos Android runs a crapload of apps in the background that tap on GPS

The only app that i think will drain battery in the background are those weather app/widget which try to get your location to download the weather. Or if you use the google latitude service etc. But unless you enable/use those app, it shouldn't matter. GPS battery drains only occur when the GPS is being used. You will know as your notification bar will show. Me i just leave GPS on as it reduces the hassle of manually bringing it on/off.

The most damaging battery vampire are those app that prevent your phone from sleeping or those that keep waking up your phone.
 
Last edited:

dankoo

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2000
Messages
2,303
Reaction score
1
Anyone manage to get multi windows to open for 2 instances of same app? I still cannot.
 

FuzzyLop

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2007
Messages
674
Reaction score
15
Anyone manage to get multi windows to open for 2 instances of same app? I still cannot.


Not all app can. Only apps that i so far found out is the samsung browser and google hangout. the rest only 1 window.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top