Sennheiser HD600 with/without amp?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,447
Reaction score
6,003
HD600 have an impedence of 300 ohms, for best sound DAC/AMP/
soundcard will be required to drive it. Else you will need to
increase the volume so the audio will be audible like on HP.
With DAC/AMP/soundcard the sound will be better than onboard.

Best to decide on your budget and get headphone and DAC.
 

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
31,436
Reaction score
3
Wondering if the audio is too soft... I use my HyperX Cloud II and ATH-WS1100iS at around 45% volume (PC)
I am listening to my HD6XX plugged into my Samsung S8+ listening to BoA on spotify now as I type this. My volume is one step up from the blue (safe for listening) volume and I think its loud enough.

Edit: Goo Goo Dolls - Iris, Cold Play - Fix You, Savage Garden - To the Moon & Back and TAEYEON - I all sounds ok too at this volume. My 2 cents, the HD6XX is quite easy to drive.

Edit 2: Maybe just get the HD6XX from massdrop via forwarder? I did that with comgateway

Edit 3: Google says the HD600, HD650 and HD6XX are all 300ohms impedance so ermm if my HD6XX has no issues with volume, i would think the other two also has no issues.
 
Last edited:

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,752
Reaction score
30,360
Wondering if the audio is too soft... I use my HyperX Cloud II and ATH-WS1100iS at around 45% volume (PC)

Let's play a game called - Calculate the sensitivity

WPYCBbb.png


So HD600 is about 10dB less sensitive than ATH-WS1100iS

So your PC should still be enough if it is 45% with ATH-WS1100iS, just need to set volume control higher.

Anyway redbook CD is 2Vrms and most soundcards / onboard should have at least 0.7Vrms or higher (up to 2Vrms) which is usually enough more than enough for 80-85dB which is the safe limit if you don't want hearing loss.

There are more reasons for getting an amp than just plain voltage capability but I shall save that for next time.
 
Last edited:

lucied

Suspended
Joined
May 10, 2007
Messages
1,221
Reaction score
0
Head down to a store with headphones/amps and try for yourself. If can't hear a difference then don't buy one. Theres a well known shop at adelphi lvl 1.
 

Darknights

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
6,767
Reaction score
1,435
i'm part of the first batch of HD6xx, and shipping was done by massdrop. driving it with a schiit jotunheim, bought locally. no regrets. the jot is also used as a preamp for my active monitors... quite worth the deal as the jot is designed to be balanced... and i can i'm using the balance out to both HD6xx and active monitor speakers.
 

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
82,874
Reaction score
21,326
i'm part of the first batch of HD6xx, and shipping was done by massdrop. driving it with a schiit jotunheim, bought locally. no regrets. the jot is also used as a preamp for my active monitors... quite worth the deal as the jot is designed to be balanced... and i can i'm using the balance out to both HD6xx and active monitor speakers.

Me too.
First batch of 6xx
Driven with jotunheim
Now thinking of getting desktop monitors
 

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
31,436
Reaction score
3
Me too.
First batch of 6xx
Driven with jotunheim
Now thinking of getting desktop monitors
Once you go studio monitors, hard to go back to consumer ones like logitech or creative imho.

Am using the fluid audio f5 cos I needed front port and size limitation. Sounds so much better than my old logitech lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
 

demonqiyue

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2017
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Me too.
First batch of 6xx
Driven with jotunheim
Now thinking of getting desktop monitors

Hi there,

Same, recently just bought HD650 pairing it with jotunheim multibit and audio engine a5+ with S8 setup.

May I know what connection u are using for your headphone ? (1/4 or xlr 4 pin?) and what connection you are using for your speaker? (RCA ? or ?)
 

demonqiyue

Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2017
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
i'm part of the first batch of HD6xx, and shipping was done by massdrop. driving it with a schiit jotunheim, bought locally. no regrets. the jot is also used as a preamp for my active monitors... quite worth the deal as the jot is designed to be balanced... and i can i'm using the balance out to both HD6xx and active monitor speakers.

Hi there,

Same, recently just bought HD650 pairing it with jotunheim multibit and audio engine a5+ with S8 setup.

May I know what connection u are using for your headphone ? (1/4 or xlr 4 pin?) and what connection you are using for your speaker? (RCA ? or ?)
 

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
Once you go studio monitors, hard to go back to consumer ones like logitech or creative imho.

Am using the fluid audio f5 cos I needed front port and size limitation. Sounds so much better than my old logitech lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
tbh it's not hard to find something that sounds better than a logitech :crazy:
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
Hi there,

Same, recently just bought HD650 pairing it with jotunheim multibit and audio engine a5+ with S8 setup.

May I know what connection u are using for your headphone ? (1/4 or xlr 4 pin?) and what connection you are using for your speaker? (RCA ? or ?)

He mentioned balanced out to both headphones and monitors. So, it is most likely XLR 4-pin for headphones and XLR 3-pin for speakers. It would be good to use XLR 4-pin for headphones as it separates the left/right and not connect it to ground. Correct me if im wrong though.


Anyway just a side note, any decent wireless mics to connect to HD6xx? I saw modmic only, but like no wireless de. Would prefer that though.
 

wwenze

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 2, 2002
Messages
86,752
Reaction score
30,360
Once you go studio monitors, hard to go back to consumer ones like logitech or creative imho.

Am using the fluid audio f5 cos I needed front port and size limitation. Sounds so much better than my old logitech lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

Perhaps a better comparison would be consumer bookshelves e.g. Audioengine. And bookshelves of the same size and price and design quality tend to perform similar, with consumer vs studio more of the connection and individual built-in amp in some cases. (Which themselves are also not the definition of studio monitors but right now this is the current meta.)

Logitech and Creative are more like for when one has not enough budget and/or space.

tbh it's not hard to find something that sounds better than a logitech :crazy:

And creative lol

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT

I remember Logitech's X-230 as an alternative to ATP3, in the era when Creative and Altec Lansing were everywhere. (And AL was the one fighting against Klipsch. Or, closest to what can be called fighting.)

Come to think of it, I don't remember Logitech having any serious attempt at higher-quality audio. Was there any speaker that used different driver types i.e. a tweeter and a woofer? Even ATP3 counted as using, kind of. No need to mention MX5021.

Maybe that's why Logitech is thriving while AL died and the original Creative lineup is pretty much dead and the new lineup is playing the same thing. Low profit margin.

Not that I am prejudiced against single-driver solutions since some speakers can sound subjectively decent. But z623 isn't one of them, and I'm saying this not because of the resulting performance (It's still okay... kind of... for a $100 speaker of this kind of design), but rather because it sounds like it was just haphazardly slapped together with a simplistic high-pass-filter to compensate for the woofer's lack of HF.
 

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
31,436
Reaction score
3
I did consider the Z623/625 but it sounded too bass heavy for me. Next was the klipsch promedia 2.1 but since that was in the 300ish range I tot I give studio monitors a listen since the entry level ones are also in that price range and never looked back.

But I think we OT from the original topic liaos.

To OP, I think a decent consumer audio device would be able to drive the HD600/HD650/HD6XX bah.

Sent from Samsung SM-G955F using GAGT
 

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
82,874
Reaction score
21,326
Hi there,

Same, recently just bought HD650 pairing it with jotunheim multibit and audio engine a5+ with S8 setup.

May I know what connection u are using for your headphone ? (1/4 or xlr 4 pin?) and what connection you are using for your speaker? (RCA ? or ?)

XLR.
Abit more detailed, n soundstage abit deeper.
Balanced XLR cable also buy from massdrop
 

Shutterbox

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
82,874
Reaction score
21,326
what cable are you using?

I am considering double helix elite 19 / thor silver 2 +

i can't remember what exactly i bought, but its under SGD100

I dun play expensive cable
for that money, i buy LPs :)
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top