Ok.. guys... I hope you all can give this some thought..
The reason why i advocate having more of your networth tied up in properties than equities/bonds..
What will your family do with your equities/bonds ,should you pass on(touch wood) or have a stroke or some unfortunate accident leaving you unable to make decisions? Would they be at a loss and panic and sell ? or would they just leave it running and take the dividends(would it be wise not to have someone manage it?).
Would it be easier for your family to rent out properties (of course, you highlight the illquid nature.. but... we talk about your family members who know nuts about equiteis/bnds)>
food for thought..
plan ur retirement portfolio in a way ..an idiot can take over and run it
Well basically there is no fail safe for anything, be it whether you invested in property or bonds / stocks etc... There are always upsides in the economy be it in properties or stocks / bonds etc... Property is quiet now because of the cooling measures and the more stringent foreigner quotas but as you all know, stocks markets have also crashed before. Everything comes in cycles.
For now, Singaporeans are property crazy as a condo is still seen as a status symbol and is thought to be a "no brainer" investment, the support for property is still very strong. Just watch, once the government slightly relaxes the cooling measures crowds will be running to the showrooms again. I still believe in a property for investment but will also put some in high dividend stocks.
For me, I don't really care about what happens to my money when I'm gone because that would already be beyond my control. If my family sold everything I had and spent it all I won't care either. Sucks to be them if they end up living on the streets due to poor planning.
