Signing on at 28

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
Initially I chose the option to sign as an officer is to catch up with those that don't have a degree because the route of advancement was an express lane to captain.

However, both you and devil were right, if I am going to stay as a spec/sgt, I will most definitely lose out in terms of salary and progression.

I sincerely thank everyone for their input.

If I do consider DxO, will it be a case of doing paper work which is the same as the outside / private world? Because I don't feel the impact of a DxO, based on my previous camp's DxO because I was based in HQ in the past and the DxO is just passing day by day doing nothing much. Just paper work and don't cock up daily activities.
well depends on what kind of paper work???
 

cryptlord31

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 21, 2010
Messages
91
Reaction score
0
I was hoping if anyone can give me insights on how the application works.

I am signing on not for the money but rather, I wish I could contribute my energy and effort towards my country. The private world is treating me well but the idea of doing everything / anything for profit is a self-centered move that I feel is inappropriate and I do not wish to support but I need to make a living and own a house in future, so I stayed on.

Recently, I applied for the ME scheme because it is course/study based and the retirement age is older. However, I got rejected because
1) My education cert is not related to the vocation im signing up for (I studied accounts and finance)
2) There's alot of people signing on in the officer scheme.

I am thinking what would be another good decision? Should I take another leap of faith to try on another vocation (non-ME scheme).

My military background:
I OOC from OCS due to an injury, but did not down PES. went through physiotherapy and fully recovered.
Was given a sgt rank as a signal spec, but S1 forgotten about me and put me as logistic spec.
Achieved a silver bayonet.
Maintained IPPT Gold.

I am not getting any younger and should straighten up my thoughts, hope for your honest opinions.
I signed at 27 under Navy's MDES. Went through OCS.

Depending on what you want. MDES is definitely out for you.
Signing on as combat officer means that your progression may not be as slow.
Normal officer scheme reaches CPT at the age of about 26. So you're not far off.

You commission as LTA.

age limit for signing on under MDES is 35. Combat officer is 30.
I dont know how the others say you can't sign on at your age.
 
Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
For DXO, it is near to zero percentage for career advancement.

DXO way of 'promotion' is to apply for internal posting at higher rank level.

What you do in Mindef as DXO or other positions does not apply to private sector practice.


Initially I chose the option to sign as an officer is to catch up with those that don't have a degree because the route of advancement was an express lane to captain.

However, both you and devil were right, if I am going to stay as a spec/sgt, I will most definitely lose out in terms of salary and progression.

I sincerely thank everyone for their input.

If I do consider DxO, will it be a case of doing paper work which is the same as the outside / private world? Because I don't feel the impact of a DxO, based on my previous camp's DxO because I was based in HQ in the past and the DxO is just passing day by day doing nothing much. Just paper work and don't cock up daily activities.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
For DXO, it is near to zero percentage for career advancement.

DXO way of 'promotion' is to apply for internal posting at higher rank level.

What you do in Mindef as DXO or other positions does not apply to private sector practice.
is that a career advice?
 

Calander

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
11
Initially I chose the option to sign as an officer is to catch up with those that don't have a degree because the route of advancement was an express lane to captain.

However, both you and devil were right, if I am going to stay as a spec/sgt, I will most definitely lose out in terms of salary and progression.

I sincerely thank everyone for their input.

If I do consider DxO, will it be a case of doing paper work which is the same as the outside / private world? Because I don't feel the impact of a DxO, based on my previous camp's DxO because I was based in HQ in the past and the DxO is just passing day by day doing nothing much. Just paper work and don't cock up daily activities.

to be honest. if it is really about passing day by day, this is about the same as those who signed on.

yet again, depending on which role u are serving as. only then u will have a different perspective
 

Calander

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
11
is that a career advice?

anything to contribute other than questioning on the post by others?

and what are your views towards DXOs that u can actually advise TS?

lastly, if that wasnt a career advice, kindly share with all of us what is that supposed to be considered as?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
anything to contribute other than questioning on the post by others?

and what are your views towards DXOs that u can actually advise TS?

lastly, if that wasnt a career advice, kindly share with all of us what is that supposed to be considered as?
Then why are you questioning my post?

Kyoji83 characterisation of DXO is incorrect?

Just want to confirm if that is a career advise, just want to give him a chance to back out of it.
 

Calander

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
11
Then why are you questioning my post?

Kyoji83 characterisation of DXO is incorrect?

Just want to confirm if that is a career advise, just want to give him a chance to back out of it.

are u in favour from others who question your post? if yes than please go ahead to make yourself noticeable in the NS thread. otherwise, pls reflect on why are there many people who has comments against.

Incorrect? Why not you just share instead? Playing some kind of mystery games here? This is a forum to contribute. Not games.

Just want to confirm? O yes please keep up this good work.. Unofficial & Self-Proclaimed Moderator.

Cheers.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
are u in favour from others who question your post? if yes than please go ahead to make yourself noticeable in the NS thread. otherwise, pls reflect on why are there many people who has comments against.

Incorrect? Why not you just share instead? Playing some kind of mystery games here? This is a forum to contribute. Not games.

Just want to confirm? O yes please keep up this good work.. Unofficial & Self-Proclaimed Moderator.

Cheers.
Well, if I were to make a definitive statement, then yes, people should question whether that is indeed accurate. Having so many people who has comments against doesn't mean I am wrong and they are right.

Well, may be you aren't seeing something that I see. For Kyoji83 to claim so definitively that, 1) "For DXO, it is near to zero percentage for career advancement.", 2) "DXO way of 'promotion' is to apply for internal posting at higher rank level." and 3) "What you do in Mindef as DXO or other positions does not apply to private sector practice." that would mean he is aware of the situation of ALL DXOs, do you really believe that? I just need to have one example of that being not the case, I can immediately disproved his claim which I am doing, no?

Yes just want to confirm, that's why you are trying to do too. And I appreciate your acknowledgement of my good work.

I am not sure if I unofficially self-proclaim to be a moderator. but if you think so then thanks?
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
Nope, I will not back out of it & this is how it normally work in mindef for DXO.


Then why are you questioning my post?

Kyoji83 characterisation of DXO is incorrect?

Just want to confirm if that is a career advise, just want to give him a chance to back out of it.
 

Calander

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2014
Messages
2,319
Reaction score
11
Well, if I were to make a definitive statement, then yes, people should question whether that is indeed accurate. Having so many people who has comments against doesn't mean I am wrong and they are right.

Well, may be you aren't seeing something that I see. For Kyoji83 to claim so definitively that, 1) "For DXO, it is near to zero percentage for career advancement.", 2) "DXO way of 'promotion' is to apply for internal posting at higher rank level." and 3) "What you do in Mindef as DXO or other positions does not apply to private sector practice." that would mean he is aware of the situation of ALL DXOs, do you really believe that? I just need to have one example of that being not the case, I can immediately disproved his claim which I am doing, no?

Yes just want to confirm, that's why you are trying to do too. And I appreciate your acknowledgement of my good work.

I am not sure if I unofficially self-proclaim to be a moderator. but if you think so then thanks?

most welcome. if u indeed sensed that the "good work" which i had mentioned is genuine, carry-on then.
 

yijun1989

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
reddevil, kyoji and calandar,

Thank you for your inputs. As this is an open discussion to listen to views and opinions, please allow everyone to enter their inputs. I hope someone else will find this useful in terms of signing on at my age and with the same purpose as me.

Perhaps the people signing on in my particular vocation have alot of young people signing therefore I am place at the bottom of the packing list (I am not sure of this but there are people telling me that this intake there was alot of interested parties.)

I am slightly in the negative side of DxO only because I infer from my experience as an NSF and my reservist. The DxO have little authorities and only work an 8-5 job, so when it comes to force-prep for things overnight, many things were done the shortcut way without getting caught (Alternatively, the ones that stayed overnight to help out the camp were easily outcasted by others for being too siao on which leads to poor peer appraisals). That's the reason why I am not convinced to join DxO because it doesn't serve my purpose to contribute.

Thank you everyone for their input so far. I really appreciate it! :)
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
reddevil, kyoji and calandar,

Thank you for your inputs. As this is an open discussion to listen to views and opinions, please allow everyone to enter their inputs. I hope someone else will find this useful in terms of signing on at my age and with the same purpose as me.

Perhaps the people signing on in my particular vocation have alot of young people signing therefore I am place at the bottom of the packing list (I am not sure of this but there are people telling me that this intake there was alot of interested parties.)

I am slightly in the negative side of DxO only because I infer from my experience as an NSF and my reservist. The DxO have little authorities and only work an 8-5 job, so when it comes to force-prep for things overnight, many things were done the shortcut way without getting caught (Alternatively, the ones that stayed overnight to help out the camp were easily outcasted by others for being too siao on which leads to poor peer appraisals). That's the reason why I am not convinced to join DxO because it doesn't serve my purpose to contribute.

Thank you everyone for their input so far. I really appreciate it! :)
Well I am guessing the DXOs you have interacted with are those from your units in those camps? They maybe the ones who are working for the sake of working.

There are scholar DXOs who maybe as siao on as those in the military or people in the corporate world. They maybe working at the more office type of place like MINDEF HQ or CMPB etc.
 

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2007
Messages
10,985
Reaction score
1
This again? Bo liao!

QUOTE=reddevil0728;111512710]So are you confirming that what you are saying is representative of ALL DXOs?[/QUOTE]
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
This again? Bo liao!

QUOTE=reddevil0728;111512710]So are you confirming that what you are saying is representative of ALL DXOs?
[/QUOTE]
Ya seriously this again??? you mean until now you don't get it?
 

eugenetenggg

Junior Member
Joined
May 10, 2020
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I signed at 27 under Navy's MDES. Went through OCS.

Depending on what you want. MDES is definitely out for you.
Signing on as combat officer means that your progression may not be as slow.
Normal officer scheme reaches CPT at the age of about 26. So you're not far off.

You commission as LTA.

age limit for signing on under MDES is 35. Combat officer is 30.
I dont know how the others say you can't sign on at your age.

Hi,I signed w navy poly sponsorship mdes when I was in poly. I am currently in bmt now and I've managed to get a uni placing in SIT. Do you know if it's possible for me to go ocs?
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,284
Reaction score
5,867
Hi,I signed w navy poly sponsorship mdes when I was in poly. I am currently in bmt now and I've managed to get a uni placing in SIT. Do you know if it's possible for me to go ocs?
Erm, you are in there why don't you ask your commanders????
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top