Sinking Omnidesk ( 72" length )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zafchen

Reaction score
Been using the table for awhile and recently notice that my speaker isn't standing straight so I'm curious and use a level guide to see. It turns out the table indeed in sinking in the centre portion.

Msg Omni desk support, and they requested me to send them some photo of my setup and did their guys install the screw and properly anot. So i email them all the photo for them to investigate.

Just today, i receive their reply and it surprise me that they are pointing to me that because i mount my Belkin surge protector ( 4ways ) under their desk near the center of the desk, causing their table to sink in the centre..

I'm not a table expert, but their reply sure to enlighten me in someway, anyone facing this similar issue with their desk?

To me, a dual monitor mount mounted in the center of the desk is more heavy than my belkin power extension

https://ibb.co/h8zPyYC
https://ibb.co/t2rNWzH
https://ibb.co/x82gPcv
https://ibb.co/dKqnb6w

Last edited:

hg2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Been using the table for awhile and recently notice that my speaker isn't standing straight so I'm curious and use a level guide to see. It turns out the table indeed in sinking in the centre portion.

Msg Omni desk support, and they requested me to send them some photo of my setup and did their guys install the screw and properly anot. So i email them all the photo for them to investigate.

Just today, i receive their reply and it surprise me that they are pointing to me that because i mount my Belkin surge protector ( 4ways ) under their desk near the center of the desk, causing their table to sink in the centre..

I'm not a table expert, but their reply sure to enlighten me in someway, anyone facing this similar issue with their desk?

To me, a dual monitor mount mounted in the center of the desk is more heavy than my belkin power extension

I assume the electrical table frame has a horizontal base across...so it's almost impossible to bend the table top....

Share your photo lah! very hard for us to imagine what happened...
The tabletop shouldn't bend unless it's an ikea... that's what happen to my previous ikea... LoL

DevilishZ

Reaction score

Got pictures?

Not sure but I think someone once told me that I was lucky I took 60in instead of 72 in because of warping issue.

But do send pictures, cause i am also mounting a belkin surge protector to the under side of the cable management tray.

Should be able to handle the weight though considering the management tray is held together by multiple screws across the back.

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That's rubbish. The Belkin weighs around 300g or so, hardly enough to make a desk sag.

stylechap

Master Member
Reaction score
Now you know why many people bash them....lol

Atleast give a better excuse to shirk problem

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A table is used for putting things on. If weight is going to cause the table to warp, then it’s an inferior product. No 2 ways around it. They might as well put in their disclaimer that you cannot put anything on the center of the table, whether above or under. They basically failed to strengthen the table where it matters. It’s like someone building a bridge telling you it warped because you are standing in the middle.

NoMotherTeachSiboh

Reaction score
They basically failed to strengthen the table where it matters. It’s like someone building a bridge telling you it warped because you are standing in the middle.

Aren't they selling overpriced OEM rebranded desks? Not their problem to strengthen table la... just like a certain gaming chair store :s22:

NoMotherTeachSiboh

Reaction score

2021-01-14-3.png

mail-1.jpg

mail-2.jpg

mail.jpg

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Aren't they selling overpriced OEM rebranded desks? Not their problem to strengthen table la... just like a certain gaming chair store :s22:

Chair peeling is not great, but you can still sit. Having a table warp is a fundamental problem when it’s always expected to take weight. It’s akin to the chair breaking because you sat on it.

Zafchen

Reaction score
Chair peeling is not great, but you can still sit. Having a table warp is a fundamental problem when it’s always expected to take weight. It’s akin to the chair breaking because you sat on it.

the problem is, why they didnt say my monitor being in the center is causing the sinking? instead they put the blame on a 300g belkin power extension...

Atreyu

Master Member
Reaction score
lol... and here I was, considering Omnidesk, as my $40 cheap table now sagging in the middle coz of my dual monitor setup on a single mount... :s13:

I thought their max weight 130kg, your setup dun look like 130kg to me...

Zafchen

Reaction score
lol... and here I was, considering Omnidesk, as my $40 cheap table now sagging in the middle coz of my dual monitor setup on a single mount... :s13:

I thought their max weight 130kg, your setup dun look like 130kg to me...
i think they mean 130g..... my 300g belkin already can cause sinking liao...

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The question is why do you need to bother? There is something fundamentally flawed with a warping table under weight. I’ve used a number of computer tables, from teak to compress wood. I’ve never observed any warping on any of them.

Tombstonewan

Reaction score
the problem is, why they didnt say my monitor being in the center is causing the sinking? instead they put the blame on a 300g belkin power extension...

There may be a few issues here.

1. The Table Base with 2 reinforcement bars in the middle should be sufficient not to sag the table, but provided the bars has been screwed to the table top. I just assuming that the table top were only secured only at the sides which means;

2. The centre of the table is just resting on the bar. Without screwing the bar onto the top, it creates an air gap between the table top and bar. Ultimately, this can cause warp, ie the table will slowly turn into a smiley face. This is excrabated by your power unit installed right at the centre which exaggerate the problem further.

3. I am assuming that your table top is thin and might be only 20mm ish. The thinner the top, the easier the smiley face becomes. It is the same theory as breaking a chopstick. The thicker the chopstick, the harder it is for you to break in the middle. Usually, for offices, it is recommended to use 25mm for melamine or 27mm laminates for durability.

Zafchen

Reaction score
there isnt any option to go for thicker option... like from their web site, they promote their desk can support dual monitor setup.. i just calculate.. 2nos 27 monitor with the monitor arm is way more heavy than my x34 and belkin power bar... but well.. since they can give me such a reply... really giving up on local branding... They only good at marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.