StarHub MaxInfinity Fiber Optic - Experience

pinkydoe

Junior Member
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Ya.. but app is good. On the wifi thingy, I only have channel 1 - 13 to choose from and from Inssider, these channels are crossed with many routers.

Question :

Is there a router that allows us to choose the other less used channels?

How much is the improvement to have myself just on that 1 channel vs currently with me crossing with 10 different routers?

Hi I don't know if this was mentioned before, but you should only use either channel 1, 6 or 11. These channels are orthogonal, meaning these are the channels that truly don't interfere with each other. Choosing channels other than these might actually make performance worse for you and your neighbors.

I think there will be a significant difference in maximum throughput if you are the only one using the channel, compared to sharing it with 10 others. But at the application level, improvement depends on what everyone is doing. If everyone is simply doing simple web browsing, then I don't think anyone will "feel" a drop in network performance, on the other hand if everyone is trying to stream HD video...:s22:

I guess if you looked up inSSider, you already knew this, and I just made a fool out of myself:D!
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Sorry to hijack this thread planning on converting my house to starhub fiber can i use my own router? As starhub would be providing me the dlink model. dunno is wirelesss range is gd?

mixed review.

for me is good for most it isn't.

you should request for Direct ONT if you want to use your own personal router.

that is, no VoIP services or a separate voip box to do it
 

voxboy

Junior Member
Joined
May 22, 2013
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP

Dear All,

i am hoping to sign up to a VPN service like StrongVPN.

I read that you need a specific VPN router, like one in this link, for the VPN service to work, or else - will not work if just subscribe to the VPN service.

StrongVPN Routers for VPN in Router, Wireless VPN and Dual Gateway


My query is :

Using a VPN router from StrongVPN with or without D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ??

ie.

Option 1.
ask for open ONT from Starhub first, and plug the VPN router, eg. ASUS RT-N66 - DIRECT to the ONT ??

Option 2.
Connect via the D-Link RG DVG-N5402SP ? -
- will it make the connection slower ?



Apologies in advance - Noobie question - search all the threads - no one addressed this specifically.

Thanks in advance.

VB
 

pinkydoe

Junior Member
Joined
May 21, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
A brief look at their webpage shows that they have clients for most platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). So in your home network if you only have one device that needs to connect to the VPN at a time, you can just install the StrongVPN client on that device and use it. You won't have to change any configurations with respect to your existing home network setup. In fact you can use the StrongVPN client to connect to the VPN from any device that is connected to the internet from anywhere, doesn't need to be at your house.

If you wan't every device in your home network to be connected to the VPN then yes, your RG/router needs to be running the StrongVPN client and/or configured according to StrongVPN instructions.

My personal preference (easiest and most straightforward) is to plug my own StrongVPN configured router to the ONT directly, but doing it the second way is possible too I guess. Either way realistically speaking I don't think you will be able to notice a difference in speeds.
 

Sadist4life

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
854
Reaction score
50
Is there any difference in network performance between the following?
1. Direct ONT without informing Starhub.
2. Direct ONT with Starhub's acknowledgement and subsequent downtime.

I am currently using option 1 but if option 2 can yield slightly better speeds, I might consider letting them know.
 

Gribber

Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2012
Messages
11,562
Reaction score
0
Is there any difference in network performance between the following?
1. Direct ONT without informing Starhub.
2. Direct ONT with Starhub's acknowledgement and subsequent downtime.

I am currently using option 1 but if option 2 can yield slightly better speeds, I might consider letting them know.

not really.
 

carlover76

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2002
Messages
7,492
Reaction score
50
Check with you all if my Starhub fibre has no more contract and I wish to terminate the service, I bring down the ONT on the same day to their Starhub shop to terminate on the spot, will there be termination charges?
 

Bieffe

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 14, 2001
Messages
6,021
Reaction score
50
Is there any difference in network performance between the following?
1. Direct ONT without informing Starhub.
2. Direct ONT with Starhub's acknowledgement and subsequent downtime.

I am currently using option 1 but if option 2 can yield slightly better speeds, I might consider letting them know.
you will also lose 2 port from ur gateway if u do not inform ST of ur ONT.
 

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
It seems like DNS is down? I can chat with friend on steam but can't access any websites.
 

Humster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2000
Messages
23,491
Reaction score
2,643
Current Bukit Panjang fibre seems to GG. TRIED calling Starhub immediately got computer reply say overwhelming calls at this hour..

Something big must have happened.
 

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
Confirm big Liao. I never kenna this kind of outage before. First time. At first I thought its the IPv4 running out of addresses but looks like thistime gg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top