STI ETF

Leaden

Reaction score
I think STI needs a revamp as it doesn't well-represent the Singapore economy. Enlarge the number of stocks from 30 to 50. Cap each sector to 20% weightage maximum, especially banks and Reits. Include large high growth stocks such as iFast and Nanofilm. More consumer/retail stocks e.g. Sheng Siong and healthcare e.g. Raffles Medical. Arguably I would even exclude Reits and put them in a separate index.
To add on, each stock should not exceed 10%.

Even O9A: XT MS SING etf have greatly increased their number of securities to 78. They even have included sea and razer, both listed overseas.
I don't see why STI can't increase their stock numbers.

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Suddenly alot here qualify to be able to work in FTSE, Morningstar and MSCI.

There is frankly no such thing as a 'perfect index', thats why you have so many different indices and even different index companies, i.e. MSCI and FTSE have their own versions. The main question is whether you can make money from investing in the index.

Those that can make money investing in STI ETF have no complaints.
Those that are unable to make money investing in STI ETF blame FTSE/MSCI for creating a lousy index.

Frankly, its super easy to make money investing in STI ETF, just buy when its less than $3. I've been doing that since 2009 and I have no complaints =:p

frigatex

Reaction score
Indeed, different indices serve a different intent, so the concept of perfect is irrelevant. What is relevant is your choice in parking your limited resources.

Based on the repeatedly touted "buy in only below 3", can just stop posting in this thread till the next significant crash.

Nothing wrong with an index that has the same TP through the years right?

zzTiny

Reaction score
Could local investors have beaten the S&P 500? -by businesstimes, 30/08/2021
For the past 10 years, Straits Times Index (STI) delivered a total return of only 60.3 per cent during the 10-year period to Aug 20 - while the S&P 500 index and FTSE All-World Index returned 383.8 per cent and 220.2 per cent, respectively
During the 10-year period to Aug 20, there were at least 28 locally listed stocks that delivered a total return exceeding the S&P 500's total return of 383.8 per cent. And, there were at least 61 that managed to beat the FTSE All-World's total return of 220.2 per cent.

Could STI ETF did better if the number of holdings increased?

d5dude

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To add on, each stock should not exceed 10%.

Even O9A: XT MS SING etf have greatly increased their number of securities to 78. They even have included sea and razer, both listed overseas.
I don't see why STI can't increase their stock numbers.

09A includes stocks not listed on SGX, its not really a meaningful representation of the local stock market.

STI looks this way because the largest companies on SGX are financials and real estate by far, its representative of the market, and since STI is market cap weighted, increasing the index to include more stocks isnt going to do much to improve diversity since most of the other companies on SGX (the ones not on the STI) are too tiny to matter.

Kojo0403

Reaction score
got ES3 funds outflow liao. probably investors starting to take profit.

i think probably got good momentum

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.