Syfe REIT+

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
Syfe REIT+ just sold the REITS and bought more Bond yesterday.
Kind of Buy high sell low, don't feel very good about their approach.

Yes. Really risky investing with Syfe during volatile time.They did the same thing to 3 of my global portfolio regardless of risk %. They like to time the market and purchase bonds at a super high price and sell equities when its value is at the very bottom. Take yesterday for example, they should have purchased more equities at market opening or not touch our equities composition at all. Instead of doing that, they sold equities and purchase more bonds. Equities were sold at rock bottom price and more bond was purchased. If they did not touch my equities composition, those portion would have made 5-6% gain yesterday. This is not the first bad "optimization" made to my portfolios. I think at least 3 bad optimization were made for these past few days.

Brown24

Reaction score
Yes. Really risky investing with Syfe during volatile time.They did the same thing to 3 of my global portfolio regardless of risk %. They like to time the market and purchase bonds at a super high price and sell equities when its value is at the very bottom. Take yesterday for example, they should have purchased more equities at market opening or not touch our equities composition at all. Instead of doing that, they sold equities and purchase more bonds. Equities were sold at rock bottom price and more bond was purchased. If they did not touch my equities composition, those portion would have made 5-6% gain yesterday. This is not the first bad "optimization" made to my portfolios. I think at least 3 bad optimization were made for these past few days.

For global portfolio, I thought the bond allocation should be fix and they will rebalance it when either 1 off too far from intended allocation?
I know REIT+ allocation is not fix, but the buy high sell low mechanism really not to my liking.

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
For global portfolio, I thought the bond allocation should be fix and they will rebalance it when either 1 off too far from intended allocation?
I know REIT+ allocation is not fix, but the buy high sell low mechanism really not to my liking.

No, supposed to be fixed but they just ignore.

Take my global 13% risk portfolio as example. The target composition should be 65.4% equities, 30.1% bond and 4.5% commodities. But my 13% risk portfolio consists of 32.1% equities, 56.9% bonds, 8% commodity after the bad "optimization". I wish we have the option to opt of their optimization system.

Last edited:

Brown24

Reaction score

Take my global 13% risk portfolio as example. The target composition should be 65.4% equities, 30.1% bond and 4.5% commodities. But my 13% risk portfolio consists of 32.1% equities, 56.9% bonds, 8% commodity after the bad "optimization".

Omg, this is ridiculous. I think I need to reconsider to stay with them or quit liao.
So far Stashaway still not doing anything funny in the current market situation.
Btw, hv u asked Syfe why they do that?

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
Omg, this is ridiculous. I think I need to reconsider to stay with them or quit liao.
So far Stashaway still not doing anything funny in the current market situation.
Btw, hv u asked Syfe why they do that?

Used to prefer Syfe before the volatile time. But i think i will just take some loss and move away from them.

Brown24

Reaction score
Used to prefer Syfe before the volatile time. But i think i will just take some loss and move away from them.

This is a good time to see how different robo advisor react to market situation. Good 1 will sell high buy low.

hkchew03

Reaction score
I think problem with Syfe is their algorithm, at panic time like this, the calculated risk will increase by fold. My 19% got rebalanced once, but after a few days the risk shoot up to 31% again due to bearish market.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
I think the Syfe algorithm will just keep re-balance the portfolio till there is no way we can make money during this volatile time. They just want us to feel "safe" with more bonds allocation. So its like even if i want to buy 100% equities at low price also not possible because the system detects that it is not safe.

Last edited:

Brown24

Reaction score
I think the Syfe algorithm will just keep re-balance the portfolio till there is no way we can make money during this volatile time. They just want us to feel "safe" with more bonds allocation. So its like even if i want to buy 100% equities at low price also not possible because the system detects that it is not safe.

This kind of rebalancing is too amateur imo.
Thanks for sharing. Now I hv better idea

S1mpleGuy

Master Member
Reaction score
yes happen to me too.. they buy high sell low my equities. i used to think theirs is good but prefer stashaway now and moving away from them

Hwsemb

Reaction score

Take my global 13% risk portfolio as example. The target composition should be 65.4% equities, 30.1% bond and 4.5% commodities. But my 13% risk portfolio consists of 32.1% equities, 56.9% bonds, 8% commodity after the bad "optimization". I wish we have the option to opt of their optimization system.

One "solution" could be to create a portfolio with high risk (i.e. 25% or 23%). Since such portfolio has 100% equity, Syfe should be unable to allocate anything to bonds?

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
One "solution" could be to create a portfolio with high risk (i.e. 25% or 23%). Since such portfolio has 100% equity, Syfe should be unable to allocate anything to bonds?

Think the algorithm kinda stupid..

They could still sell your equities at low value and have it as cash allocation. Wait till equities cost more then buy again because upward trend is deemed "safe" :s13:

Have a bad feeling they will re-balance my portfolio tonight by buying expensive equities and dumping bonds.

Last edited:

hkchew03

Reaction score

Due to high losses, the calculated risk will be higher than your target, end up they will still sell some of the "high loss" to purchase other equities instead of looking long term and holding to it.

Unless they are able to calculate the risk prior to any bearish event like COVID-19, history will just repeat.

my Syfe was on 19% (with almost all on equities), but still got rebalanced.

Posted from PCWX using Redmi K20 Pro

Last edited:

tutonic

Reaction score
This covid 19 crisis seems to raise some issues with the rebalancing algo of Syfe. I just went in on their REIT+. I'll be monitoring more heavily ah, like this..

Brown24

Reaction score
This covid 19 crisis seems to raise some issues with the rebalancing algo of Syfe. I just went in on their REIT+. I'll be monitoring more heavily ah, like this..

What is yr REITS and bond allocation now?
Mine alr 50/50

zuppeur

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Small acct @ 21% risk level, 100% equity

After the market drop, my allocation adjusted with big change

E- 59.9%
B- 32.4%
Commodity - 6.4%
Cash - 1.4%

Gametaku

Master Member
Reaction score
Time to move away from Syfe. 100% equity portfolio they still can allocate it as 59% equity 32% bond. This shows their re-balancing algorithm is too aggressive to be in the safe zone. This method of re-balancing is to artificially make their investors feel safe. Without losing money/losing less money during volatile time, less investors would exit. Thing is we should be thinking of gains and not just avoiding loss. Volatile time is the best time to make gain.

Seems like Syfe just want us to make gain during normal times. Like a saving account... slow and steady.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.