TFIP IBF Data Analytics

TehOSiewDai

Reaction score
So far, I have received the CA from UBS and an interview from UOB.

I did not consider the "cheap labor" portion mentioned earlier, I think that is something helpful to ask during any interview that you have with a FI. I would definitely include it in my interview and also think even harder before accepting should I get any offers.

Good luck everyone, don't give up hope.
Hi! When did u get the ubs CA? Like recently or?

Lazyhorse

Reaction score
3 most important points for me to you.

1. How old are you currently?
2. Do you need money desperately or experience?
3. Are you willing to spend 18months doing "internship" with no guarantee of permt employment.
I am 30 this year. I don’t need money desperately. And I don’t mind there is not guarantee employment. My only concern is that will I be able to learn useful things during the period of 18 months such that my skills will be of a high demand in other companies.
This is also what I think could happen. It depends on the FI. I attended some of the interviews with the FI and past trainee, you can check them on the IBF facebook, probably still there. There are those who were offered permanent positions. But I think probably few... can ask IBF when you later on decide on signing up the program - the stats.

I think one should ask the FI what projects they have planned but not stop at the highlevels. If the FI could not produce a good plan, then there is a possibility that one would end up as cheap labour. Things like how mission critical the project is, who are the sponsors, how many people working on the project and so on... and possibly if it's a MAS project (with dateline from MAS). Get a sense of the commitment from the FI. Some may be daily operations, tag along and learn, which is possible. I think potentially CS may be in such a situation.

I would suggest that you take down all the details (and as much as possible). If the FI does not deliver on the commitments, then you can resign from the program as it does not benefit you. Yes, the program allows you to resign from it. But do remember that the FI does have a upper hand, they can (short of a good word) bad mouth you in the job market or blacklist you and you may not be able to join the company later on. But if it's really that bad, then you could based on the commitment, ask IBF to help you negotiate something with them.

As for the last part, if you think that you can get a job on your own with the DA skills, then why not ? But you really have to prove yourself given that you may not have a portfolio and experience.

But even if you are taken as cheap labour, it's a good opportunity to make good use of their resources to learn. eg, they may have all the software which you can use (and yes, ask them what software they using). Could be in DA case, PowerBI dashboard, Tableau and you can on your own build up a portfolio. Get exposure on all the software, get to know people and learn all the bank processes (processes and business knowledge impt !). It's very different from paper knowledge.

Timeout... cheers.

Waaa thank you so much for the valuable information! If I really get to the interview stage, I will consider these questions to ask to evaluate the FI!

As for taking up DA skills by myself, my concern is that there is no really project or work experience related. Hence unlikely that I will be able to jump into the DA field. Especially when now there are so many DA courses and many people would have attended such courses too. that’s was why I considered tfip because it provides real DA experience which will position me better after the 18 months. But of course like u said, I think asking the FI those questions during interview is really important to judge how much I can learn from it!
Thank you!

GoodBetterBest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am 30 this year. I don’t need money desperately. And I don’t mind there is not guarantee employment. My only concern is that will I be able to learn useful things during the period of 18 months such that my skills will be of a high demand in other companies.

Waaa thank you so much for the valuable information! If I really get to the interview stage, I will consider these questions to ask to evaluate the FI!

As for taking up DA skills by myself, my concern is that there is no really project or work experience related. Hence unlikely that I will be able to jump into the DA field. Especially when now there are so many DA courses and many people would have attended such courses too. that’s was why I considered tfip because it provides real DA experience which will position me better after the 18 months. But of course like u said, I think asking the FI those questions during interview is really important to judge how much I can learn from it!
Thank you!

Just to clarify, when I said I attend the interview, I wasn't referring to the job interviews. I was referring to the IBF VCF Webinar. They interivew the previous batches of students. They were converted to permanent positions (because somebody here asked this questions). That's what I was referring to, not that I sit in their job interviews as an company insider. I hope I've clarified the point.

Yes, agree with you. DA needs experience. Two people can have the same technical skills but their analysis could be very different because of experience, business perspectives, etc. So being in the job to acquire the experience is impt.

Are you learning DA on your own currently and just looking at TFIP for the job experience only ? Or not started yet ?

jarrettoh

Reaction score
Congrats on getting a positive response from UBS! Which banks did u receive the emails from?
Just UBS so far. I hope there will be more FIs contacting us soon. There is such a long list of FIs involved in the DA program but from the forum, only a handful have reached out to candidates.

Toonsy92

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just UBS so far. I hope there will be more FIs contacting us soon. There is such a long list of FIs involved in the DA program but from the forum, only a handful have reached out to candidates.
May be too many failed the technical online assessment. Don't bother like me liao. :sad:

Ai_Dragon

Reaction score
Omg. UBS sent me an auto-reminder email to remind me I am left with 2 days to do the cultural appraiser (Which I thought i have done it on the first day. I already submitted and saw the "Thank you for submitting your Cultural Appraiser.").

So I clicked on the link and saw my assessment still under 'in progress'. Submitted it once again and now should be properly submitted as it shows 'You do not have any assessments at this time.' when I reenter from the link.

Edit: Also received an email that officially says 'We’re currently reviewing, and will be in touch soon'.

coocoonana

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ooh thanks! has UBS updated u on ur interview date already?

yeh theres DBS, UOB, UBS, JPM and BOS

jarrettoh

Reaction score
ooh thanks! has UBS updated u on ur interview date already?

yeh theres DBS, UOB, UBS, JPM and BOS
They told me that they will arrange it by end of the week. It's already Sat evening and still no news from them. Getting worried if they are just giving me false hope.

coocoonana

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They told me that they will arrange it by end of the week. It's already Sat evening and still no news from them. Getting worried if they are just giving me false hope.
maybe they were unaware that there was only one day left (friday) to end of the week when they sent the mail

Iyiyiyuu

Reaction score
hii anyone attended any interviews yet? Mind sharing what kind of questions would the banks typically ask?

I also read some ppl said that the pay after conversion might be lower than 5.5k…. To me it doesn’t make much sense as well, but I’ve got a friend’s friend from previous batch DA track. He’s earning way higher than 5.5k at GS. So…… I Think most FIs will pay more than 5.5k.

DingDongDingDong

Reaction score
hii anyone attended any interviews yet? Mind sharing what kind of questions would the banks typically ask?

I also read some ppl said that the pay after conversion might be lower than 5.5k…. To me it doesn’t make much sense as well, but I’ve got a friend’s friend from previous batch DA track. He’s earning way higher than 5.5k at GS. So…… I Think most FIs will pay more than 5.5k.
Thanks for sharing, I was actually worried to see some comments saying it'll be lower than 5.5K as well. Do you mind sharing if the pay jump for your friend's friend is right after conversion or a few years after working there?

Lazyhorse

Reaction score
Just to clarify, when I said I attend the interview, I wasn't referring to the job interviews. I was referring to the IBF VCF Webinar. They interivew the previous batches of students. They were converted to permanent positions (because somebody here asked this questions). That's what I was referring to, not that I sit in their job interviews as an company insider. I hope I've clarified the point.

Yes, agree with you. DA needs experience. Two people can have the same technical skills but their analysis could be very different because of experience, business perspectives, etc. So being in the job to acquire the experience is impt.

Are you learning DA on your own currently and just looking at TFIP for the job experience only ? Or not started yet ?
I have no experience in DA at all. i find it hard to juggle with work currently and to take an additional course. So I’m hoping to get into tfip to learn DA and also get job experience related to DA .I may not be staying in the financial industry if I get through the thing, but I really want a new skill and with experience on using the skill.

but reading how so many ppl here have some initiative to at least learn something themselves, I think my chances are pretty lo. I did my cultural assessment from UBS on Thursday and didn’t receive any notice about interview slots.

MiloMojo

Reaction score

Any idea which part of the bank ur friend is at in GS? (e.g. front, middle, back office).

gina_l

Reaction score
True !! but its soo hard to get in.
I could not get in this year, so will have to wait for next year. Till then I will have to look for some other DA jobs.

Wish there were 2 courses/batches for TFIP each year, to give more opportunities, considering the overwhelming number of applications for DA.
But once get any DA job experience (actually any experience in any of the tracks) cannot take part in TFIP liao. I find it quite lame though cos like if in digital marketing so diff from CS or AI but also cannot.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.