The Contact Lenses Thread

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to a optical shop wanted to restock my lenses, shop recom a clearlab daily lens. Cheaper than pro clear bought for $38 per box, find it surprisingly good.

is it new brand in S'pore? I nv hear before.

Anyone has any recommendation for monthly toric contacts lens that can support astigmatism of -2.75 cylinder?

I'm currently using B & L Softlens 66 (monthly) . Would like to try out some lens as i don't really feel comfortable.

my optical shop let me try B&L trial pair and my astig for specs is more than 3.00... means roughly I should put contact lens for astig 2.5 or 2.75... so same as you.

I also feel uncomfortable using B&L...... the lens don't seems to be able to rotate to the correct Polarise (angle). I think is becoz my eye balls are small. I feel good wearing acuvue lens, the max is 2.25.. I feel that I have perfect eye sight wearing that.

Tried dailies (Acuvue), max is 1.75, also quite clear leh.

Elnin0

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went to a optical shop wanted to restock my lenses, shop recom a clearlab daily lens. Cheaper than pro clear bought for $38 per box, find it surprisingly good.

is it new brand in S'pore? I nv hear before.

Actually i saw it US and europe so when the shop recom i am quite ok to try. Was told made in sg.

$38/box... box of 6?
without astig, right?

You got any idea how much for astig? maybe I will ask my optician to try it out.

wisewise

Banned
Reaction score
$38/box... box of 6?
without astig, right?

You got any idea how much for astig? maybe I will ask my optician to try it out.

$38 is box of 30s, i use daily lenses.
$35 is for monthly, box of 6, i have some asti (0.75), the shop is trying to sell me @$70 for box of 6.
Since its new, i just try 2 boxes of daily lens first before buying 6 months supply.

crumpler ish jin expensiv

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its gonna be my first time trying out contacts. I've been wearing specs all these years.. My left & right eye have different degrees. Even the astig is different. I've been told that i need to get 2 seperate boxes.

What's a comfortable brand to try out? Or is there no such thing? Just get a brand that suits my budget?

PCI_Slot

Reaction score
For those first timers, what you wanna do is to go to a spectacle shop/ optometrist (lol dunno how to call them) then tell them it is your first time and interested in trying out contact lenses. After that they will give u an eye exam to check your current degree. then from the results, they can provide you with the correct power for contact lenses. It is useful if you can bring the current spectacles that you are using because they will be able to compare whether ur eyesight have "improved" or "worsen". just a fun fact for u to see whether u ate enough carrot or not :s13:

Anyways, then from there, your lenses might be able to be collected on the spot or come another day depending on their stock. They should be asking u whether u want to learn how to put them on or not, then they will teach u.

After using them for afew times, and u feel like stocking up your lenses because it is finishing soon, what most people i know of do is to get them online/johor coz it will be cheaper. Just make sure u buy the correct power by refering to ur box.

Wow what a long post... anyways, this is the advice I can give u because this is also my first time buying them and will be collecting my lenses on wednesday... astigmatism. :eek:

Will update u guys how it goes :)

warhunter

Reaction score
You can't determine what lenses are good for you unless an optpmetrist do a lens fitting on you.when u go to restock your lenses, your optom should check the lens fitting again as well as your eye health to make sure you can still wear the lenses comfortably and healthily. Buy online and in johor at your own risk. No one can access it for you unless you ask.

PCI_Slot

Reaction score
for the update!

I got my lenses on wednesday, then the optometrist gave me 1 set free to be used for teaching me. Took some time to put it on because my eye lids keep trying to close and tense up whenever my finger comes close... my reflexes too sensitive.:s22:

After putting it on, my right side eye (the one with Astigmatism, special contacts needed) felt abit weird and kinda dry... maybe because I was tired and it was already 6pm. But everything ok la so far..

Then today Saturday, before going out meet my friends, I put on the contacts, this time took much lesser than the 1st time because got confidence alr. Felt abit dry... so i bought myself an eye drop for contact lenses. Then at the end of the day after taking them out, the lenses felt very dry... like those stickers you stick onto your car windshield... not sure normal or not...

It is advised that before taking out your lens, apply some eye drop first to loosen it from your cornea.

I know my eyes are prone to be dry... so might have some difficulties getting adjusted to these new thing. Waiting for the next check up to see if my eye got any issues after wearing contacts.

warhunter

Reaction score
For those first timers, what you wanna do is to go to a spectacle shop/ optometrist (lol dunno how to call them) then tell them it is your first time and interested in trying out contact lenses. After that they will give u an eye exam to check your current degree. then from the results, they can provide you with the correct power for contact lenses. It is useful if you can bring the current spectacles that you are using because they will be able to compare whether ur eyesight have "improved" or "worsen". just a fun fact for u to see whether u ate enough carrot or not :s13:

Anyways, then from there, your lenses might be able to be collected on the spot or come another day depending on their stock. They should be asking u whether u want to learn how to put them on or not, then they will teach u.

After using them for afew times, and u feel like stocking up your lenses because it is finishing soon, what most people i know of do is to get them online/johor coz it will be cheaper. Just make sure u buy the correct power by refering to ur box.

Wow what a long post... anyways, this is the advice I can give u because this is also my first time buying them and will be collecting my lenses on wednesday... astigmatism. :eek:

Will update u guys how it goes :)

Obviously your optometrist didn't do a proper lens fitting procedure. He/she has to assess the lens on your eye through the microscope before letting you walk away with the lens. If you have to use eye drops throughout the day means the lens not suitable for you. Either lens material not suitable, lens too tight, or your eye too dry. Ask for a proper fitting

warhunter

Reaction score
for the update!

I got my lenses on wednesday, then the optometrist gave me 1 set free to be used for teaching me. Took some time to put it on because my eye lids keep trying to close and tense up whenever my finger comes close... my reflexes too sensitive.:s22:

After putting it on, my right side eye (the one with Astigmatism, special contacts needed) felt abit weird and kinda dry... maybe because I was tired and it was already 6pm. But everything ok la so far..

Then today Saturday, before going out meet my friends, I put on the contacts, this time took much lesser than the 1st time because got confidence alr. Felt abit dry... so i bought myself an eye drop for contact lenses. Then at the end of the day after taking them out, the lenses felt very dry... like those stickers you stick onto your car windshield... not sure normal or not...

It is advised that before taking out your lens, apply some eye drop first to loosen it from your cornea.

I know my eyes are prone to be dry... so might have some difficulties getting adjusted to these new thing. Waiting for the next check up to see if my eye got any issues after wearing contacts.

Always remember if you have to put eye drops to "loosen" the lens at the end of the day. Means the lens dry up on your eye. Means its too tight. Imagine a cloth. When there is water, it expands. If its dry its shrinks and tightens. Also when its dry, it draws the water from your tears. Making it even more uncomfortable.

minute_me

Reaction score
For those first timers, what you wanna do is to go to a spectacle shop/ optometrist (lol dunno how to call them) then tell them it is your first time and interested in trying out contact lenses.

this is funny. after so many years, the optometrist and opticians board and the optometrist associations have not done much to educate the public the difference between and optometrist and optician.:s8:

PCI_Slot

Reaction score
Obviously your optometrist didn't do a proper lens fitting procedure. He/she has to assess the lens on your eye through the microscope before letting you walk away with the lens. If you have to use eye drops throughout the day means the lens not suitable for you. Either lens material not suitable, lens too tight, or your eye too dry. Ask for a proper fitting

Always remember if you have to put eye drops to "loosen" the lens at the end of the day. Means the lens dry up on your eye. Means its too tight. Imagine a cloth. When there is water, it expands. If its dry its shrinks and tightens. Also when its dry, it draws the water from your tears. Making it even more uncomfortable.

Wow.. i didnt know that. Btw I'm using dailies acuvue moist normal+astig. Bout taking the lens out, it can come out without the drop with no problem, but when i felt the lenses, all i can describe is that it felt like the wind shield sticker haha.
i went to 2020 vision to get the lenses.

warhunter

Reaction score
this is funny. after so many years, the optometrist and opticians board and the optometrist associations have not done much to educate the public the difference between and optometrist and optician.:s8:
Singapore is hopeless. I'm in Australia now. Their optometrists are like doctors. Can use drugs to treat sommore

warhunter

Reaction score
Wow.. i didnt know that. Btw I'm using dailies acuvue moist normal+astig. Bout taking the lens out, it can come out without the drop with no problem, but when i felt the lenses, all i can describe is that it felt like the wind shield sticker haha.
i went to 2020 vision to get the lenses.
Just ask them to do a proper fitting. They are not following the protocol. Maybe cos its time consuming and people don't pay for consultation. In Australia consultation for contact lens alone cost 100+

buyer86

Banned
Reaction score
outside shop contact lens fitting is oathetic, i went to ngee ann poly to let those studentt have handson, after which their lecturer will confirm the results again.

undead_knite

Reaction score
Review of visit to NP Optometry Centre

I would like to praise the students and supervisors at Ngee Ann Polytechnic Optometry Centre for their unbridled passion and professionalism.

I scheduled my first appointment on Tuesday 28th May via their website(Google) . Their staff confirmed my appointment via a phone call on Monday. When I reached there on Tuesday morning, I completed my registration and payment at the registration counter. I was promptly guided into a consultation room.

The trainee asked me for my
- purpose of visit(fit contact lenses, check for eye power)
- eye care routine(do I engage in any sports such as running or swimming; how often do I wear the contact lenses; do I use the computer often)
- family history(high blood pressure, diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma)
* motivation for fitting contact lenses again after I stopped for one year(for work, convenience)

Then the procedure commenced. A basic check for eye power, followed by check of the condition of the pupil and eyelids. Eventually, they found out that I'm suffering from astigmatism which wasn't detected by all the opticians that I've consulted so far:eek:. I was told to schedule my appointment for contact lens fitting the next day(Today).

I went there and a different trainee took charge of the contact lens fitting. She did the same procedure to verify the condition of my pupil, eye power. She asked me if I want to wear monthly, bi-weekly or dailies based on my habits. I opted for monthly contacts. The opthamologist suggested that I don't need to wear a contact lens for my astigmatism which is relatively low, and I agreed since my problem is I cannot make out the handwriting on a white board during lectures when I'm seating at the back.

I tried AirOptix(tight) before going for lunch. I returned to try Biofinity(feels good, but deemed a little tight on my left eye and a little loose on my right eye), B&L soflens 38(Near perfection:s13:, but they don't have the power for my eye. I just wear them and give my opinions) and Acuvue Oasys which is a bi-weekly lens because they have run out of the monthly Acuvue Clear. This pair is deemed to be tight and the opthamologist concluded that I should get B&L soflens 38. I'm now waiting for the delivery of my contact lens according to my prescription.

I would like to wish all the staff at Ngee Ann Polytechnic Optometry Centre a cheerful and lovely day. Keep smiling!!:D

warhunter

Reaction score
I would like to praise the students and supervisors at Ngee Ann Polytechnic Optometry Centre for their unbridled passion and professionalism.

I scheduled my first appointment on Tuesday 28th May via their website(Google) . Their staff confirmed my appointment via a phone call on Monday. When I reached there on Tuesday morning, I completed my registration and payment at the registration counter. I was promptly guided into a consultation room.

The trainee asked me for my
- purpose of visit(fit contact lenses, check for eye power)
- eye care routine(do I engage in any sports such as running or swimming; how often do I wear the contact lenses; do I use the computer often)
- family history(high blood pressure, diabetes, cataracts, glaucoma)
* motivation for fitting contact lenses again after I stopped for one year(for work, convenience)

Then the procedure commenced. A basic check for eye power, followed by check of the condition of the pupil and eyelids. Eventually, they found out that I'm suffering from astigmatism which wasn't detected by all the opticians that I've consulted so far:eek:. I was told to schedule my appointment for contact lens fitting the next day(Today).

I went there and a different trainee took charge of the contact lens fitting. She did the same procedure to verify the condition of my pupil, eye power. She asked me if I want to wear monthly, bi-weekly or dailies based on my habits. I opted for monthly contacts. The opthamologist suggested that I don't need to wear a contact lens for my astigmatism which is relatively low, and I agreed since my problem is I cannot make out the handwriting on a white board during lectures when I'm seating at the back.

I tried AirOptix(tight) before going for lunch. I returned to try Biofinity(feels good, but deemed a little tight on my left eye and a little loose on my right eye), B&L soflens 38(Near perfection:s13:, but they don't have the power for my eye. I just wear them and give my opinions) and Acuvue Oasys which is a bi-weekly lens because they have run out of the monthly Acuvue Clear. This pair is deemed to be tight and the opthamologist concluded that I should get B&L soflens 38. I'm now waiting for the delivery of my contact lens according to my prescription.

I would like to wish all the staff at Ngee Ann Polytechnic Optometry Centre a cheerful and lovely day. Keep smiling!!:D

They are optometrists. Ophthalmologists are surgeons

crazymovingsales

Reaction score
share your cheap cheap lobangs for contact lenses here! got any place selling cheap contact lenses to recommend?? :s22: :s22:

Got!
Got 1 at Toa Payoh..
Near the Library there!
Shop name: Optic Focus, pink color banner.

I bought my Freshkon alluring eyes 2 pairs for $38 only!
Super cheap!

Other places per pair $27, or 2 for $50..

But for other lenses I dunno le lah..
But for TPY quite cheap the lenses!

warhunter

Reaction score
Got!
Got 1 at Toa Payoh..
Near the Library there!
Shop name: Optic Focus, pink color banner.

I bought my Freshkon alluring eyes 2 pairs for $38 only!
Super cheap!

Other places per pair $27, or 2 for $50..

But for other lenses I dunno le lah..
But for TPY quite cheap the lenses!
Lol please kids. Contact lenses are not cosmetics. They are medical devices. Don't buy them if they are not prescribe for you. Tsk

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.