The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply.

I do understand from you that Crizal is only coating. Means it will wear off after a few years or mishandling.

As for Shamir, I did see the lense, is very clear, not yellow or blue...Maybe I need to double check again.

Kodak, they show me is the 2nd generation of the lense, slightly blueish color.

So, if Nikon, Hoya or Zeiss...are they also coating too?

Nikon, Hoya and Zeiss are actually the Company Names.
Nikon have their own SEEMAX coat, hoya HI-Vision Long life, Zeiss lotutec or Duravision coat, Essilor coat is called Crizal.

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
generally, unless we're going for AR coatings, or transitions lens, or require lens with special optics, sticking with generic brands and changing spectacles yearly is good enough.

no need to pay extra for marketing

wwh5210

Master Member
Reaction score
Where to make spectacles in Singapore? Any recommended places?
My budget is around $300 Frame + Lens + Transition coating
Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Most likely Neighbourhood hdb shops will be able to satisfy the criteria you looking for. Most transitions lenses with brand will set you back about 200-300(if your power is Low) and frame also depending(if expensive then Budget blown). There are lesser known Brand’s which cost cheaper😊
Hope this helps

Where to make spectacles in Singapore? Any recommended places?
My budget is around $300 Frame + Lens + Transition coating
Thanks.

wwh5210

Master Member
Reaction score
Most likely Neighbourhood hdb shops will be able to satisfy the criteria you looking for. Most transitions lenses with brand will set you back about 200-300(if your power is Low) and frame also depending(if expensive then Budget blown). There are lesser known Brand’s which cost cheaper😊
Hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I'm more particular on lens instead of frame lol. There are so many neighborhood stores and it's kind of messy to choose from.

lance88

Reaction score
Looking to buy spectacle but after testing at shop and end up with few questions. Hoping some bro here can help me.

1. Is the difference between Rx and stock lens are mainly for heavy astig user? Any other diff?

2. What is the difference between Hoya HVP and HVLL, other than it’s the best lasting coating? What does HVP stands for?

3. Does the lens material impact on clarity? I read somewhere that plastic has the poorest clarity which is usually link to index 1.5, due to lowest abbe value, what does that mean?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Looking to buy spectacle but after testing at shop and end up with few questions. Hoping some bro here can help me.

1. Is the difference between Rx and stock lens are mainly for heavy astig user? Any other diff?

2. What is the difference between Hoya HVP and HVLL, other than it’s the best lasting coating? What does HVP stands for?

3. Does the lens material impact on clarity? I read somewhere that plastic has the poorest clarity which is usually link to index 1.5, due to lowest abbe value, what does that mean?

Good evening bro, will help you as much as i can. Think some technical stuff some bros here like ftpo might be more well-versed. However i will try to help you as much as i can!

1) yes there is a difference between RX and stock lens. As said, stock lens are lenses that are already CUT and can be obtained easily. As such the powers being kept for the lenses are only up to a certain range and for astigmatism concerns, Probably up to -2.00 to -4.00(depending on the brand you are choosing). Thus RX lenses, if you noticed, they actually mean lenses that are more customized thus will be able to reach the desired astig degree that you need. Highest i seen so far is up to -9.00 of astigmatism.

2)HVP stands for Hi Vision View protect. Its the older version for Hoya multicoat and only some of their lenses uses them now. Most of their new lenses are using the Hi-Vision Long life coating(HVLL) which is deemed to be better by wearers in terms of clarity, durability of the lens multicoat.

3) Yes. Especially lenses like (polycarbonate) lenses, the clarity for the lenses is reduced as compared to the other indexes, 1.56/1.6/1.67 however the Toughness of the lenses of course makes up for the reduced clarity of the lenses. But should you require lenses which are more impact resistance, you can consider using TRIVEX material which is 1.53 index. It has More abbe value compared to polycarbonate. Regarding Abbe Value, the lower the abbe value, the more chromatic abberation you will encounter. E.g. Color fringes at the peripheral of the lenses.

Fyi. There are still lots more to cover for these 3 qns but...for now i think this is what i can think of at the moment. :p

Correct me if i am wrong guys or feel free to add on! Hope this helps you for now!

Last edited:

lance88

Reaction score
Good evening bro, will help you as much as i can. Think some technical stuff some bros here like ftpo might be more well-versed. However i will try to help you as much as i can!

1) yes there is a difference between RX and stock lens. As said, stock lens are lenses that are already CUT and can be obtained easily. As such the powers being kept for the lenses are only up to a certain range and for astigmatism concerns, Probably up to -2.00 to -4.00(depending on the brand you are choosing). Thus RX lenses, if you noticed, they actually mean lenses that are more customized thus will be able to reach the desired astig degree that you need. Highest i seen so far is up to -9.00 of astigmatism.

2)HVP stands for Hi Vision View protect. Its the older version for Hoya multicoat and only some of their lenses uses them now. Most of their new lenses are using the Hi-Vision Long life coating(HVLL) which is deemed to be better by wearers in terms of clarity, durability of the lens multicoat.

3) Yes. Especially lenses like (polycarbonate) lenses, the clarity for the lenses is reduced as compared to the other indexes, 1.56/1.6/1.67 however the Toughness of the lenses of course makes up for the reduced clarity of the lenses. But should you require lenses which are more impact resistance, you can consider using TRIVEX material which is 1.53 index. It has More abbe value compared to polycarbonate. Regarding Abbe Value, the lower the abbe value, the more chromatic abberation you will encounter. E.g. Color fringes at the peripheral of the lenses.

Fyi. There are still lots more to cover for these 3 qns but...for now i think this is what i can think of at the moment. :p

Correct me if i am wrong guys or feel free to add on! Hope this helps you for now!

1) As you mentioned that RX are for astig concerns, could it also be for fitting into half/frameless specs or its totally non related?

2) I saw hoya current product is HL aqua and super HL and HVLL. HVP is the older version of which model? How is it compared to the newer coating in terms of clarity and durability? Is older better, that why they are still selling it?

3) I had been using crizal for a long time, latest is crizal transition 1.59 airwear (first time going into hoya). Crizal usually last only 1-2+yrs for its coating. Does Hoya has the more durable coating in general (excluding the HVLL). How about zeiss? The optician told me zeiss is more for clarity, hoya for durability in coat, crizal is just for marketing LOL

4) For toughness, do you refer to the resistance to drop impact? If i use shirt to "clean" my specs, this toughness has no relation right since it only cause issue to the coating. The abbe value also refers to clarity? So higher abbe value the material more thinner and lower abbe value, material thicker. Is this abbe value tied more to lens material or index value? Sorry newbie here :p

ftpofmpo

Banned
Reaction score
1) As you mentioned that RX are for astig concerns, could it also be for fitting into half/frameless specs or its totally non related?

2) I saw hoya current product is HL aqua and super HL and HVLL. HVP is the older version of which model? How is it compared to the newer coating in terms of clarity and durability? Is older better, that why they are still selling it?

3) I had been using crizal for a long time, latest is crizal transition 1.59 airwear (first time going into hoya). Crizal usually last only 1-2+yrs for its coating. Does Hoya has the more durable coating in general (excluding the HVLL). How about zeiss? The optician told me zeiss is more for clarity, hoya for durability in coat, crizal is just for marketing LOL

4) For toughness, do you refer to the resistance to drop impact? If i use shirt to "clean" my specs, this toughness has no relation right since it only cause issue to the coating. The abbe value also refers to clarity? So higher abbe value the material more thinner and lower abbe value, material thicker. Is this abbe value tied more to lens material or index value? Sorry newbie here :p

Do you have you have high myopia and astig? Have your vision stabilized? Zeiss does have certain high end products but be prepared to pay a premium for them. I have heard that hoya's coating are indeed more reputable, but if you intend or need to change your specs regularly every year, and are not looking for any special features, then the benefits of these coatings may be negated if you take care of your spectacles. Abbe value is is related to the material. The lowest index material used for glasses has the highest abbe value, for the high index materials have a lower abbe value, but the relationship is not always linear

Last edited:

lance88

Reaction score
myopia about -3.50 and astig -0.50. No I do not intend to change yearly as my vision had stabilized, for most cases, its the lens that fail first as the coating went off which is the reason i want to move to hoya.

the higher the abbe value the better in clarity or color reproduction? is polycarbonate the lowest abbe value? in general i do realise there are 3 materials, plastic 1.5 (Cr-39), poly carbonate (1.53-1.59) and high end plastic (1.6-onwards). higher material has lower abbe value means those high end plastic has lower abbe than polycarbonate?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
myopia about -3.50 and astig -0.50. No I do not intend to change yearly as my vision had stabilized, for most cases, its the lens that fail first as the coating went off which is the reason i want to move to hoya.

the higher the abbe value the better in clarity or color reproduction? is polycarbonate the lowest abbe value? in general i do realise there are 3 materials, plastic 1.5 (Cr-39), poly carbonate (1.53-1.59) and high end plastic (1.6-onwards). higher material has lower abbe value means those high end plastic has lower abbe than polycarbonate?

Yes Hoya is best in coating. Can last at least 3 yrs before visual acuity start to decrease slightly. Never had any coating problems before. High end plastic like 1.67 has better abbe value that gives better visual acuity. But seems that 1.74 has poorer abbe value. Previous discussions by members in part 1 thread seem to indicate that best abbe values should be index 1.67 or 1.7, not sure whether info still correct now.

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nikon, Hoya and Zeiss are actually the Company Names.
Nikon have their own SEEMAX coat, hoya HI-Vision Long life, Zeiss lotutec or Duravision coat, Essilor coat is called Crizal.

If im not wrong, nikon bought over by essilor. AO bought over by Zeiss. And seiko bought over by Hoya. I think premium seiko quite expensive.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hoya HI-VISION LONGLIFE (HVLL) coat:

Superbly scratch resistant: Up to 5 times more scratch-resistant than standard coatings
The easiest to clean: Preserves its dust-, dirt-, water- and grease-repellent properties even after long use and repeated cleaning
The most durable: Over 29% more durable than the second-most durable coating tested
Highly anti-reflective: Ensures a light transmission of almost 99% which offers a relaxed vision

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think there is quite a difference between older sft coat and new HVLL coat (launched only in 2016).

Previously my lenses using sft coat but after my other pair of spectacle uses HVLL coated lenses, i realised i couldnt adapt back to old sft coat because hvll just feels clearer... Thats why expert advises try not to upgrade your lifestyle too much because one day when u need to downgrade u find that its almost impossible to do so.

wwh5210

Master Member
Reaction score
After visiting 5 spectacles shops @ Toa Payoh, my conclusion is I better make my spectacles outside Singapore. Spectacles are overprice in Singapore.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.