The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry was busy today, mystyle v+ is 1510 legit. Profile no change.

Mystyle V+ is higher tier than mystyle profile right? I think what boss meant is that $1510 is mystyle profile 1.67 price then get free upgrade to v+ ?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Nope! Only mystyle v+. Which is still a good steal imho for a progressive lens.

Hi GANGSTERKIA,

i saw that you have mentioned that Hoya mystyle V+ has lowered their price. May i know whether mystyle profile has also revised the price?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Right and slightly wrong in a way.
Business is still good just that , that particular tier/lens not doing so well. So after the revision, the sales skyrocket haha.

It’s not free upgrade from profile to v+, it’s the v+ lens itself.

Alright man!!! Surprise hoya made the cut permanent. Previously i think few years back if im not wrong they revised price upwards.

Maybe business is not good so Hoya now mark down prices. Is it across the board for all their lenses? Now $1,510 plus free upgrade to higher tier?

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
Sorry was busy today, mystyle v+ is 1510 legit. Profile no change.

I see. I went to call the shop in Nex that i make my reading glass asking about mystyle v+ 1.5 onwards, they told me is +$200 difference with myprofile, so is more or less the same price that you have mentioned.

i dont have much experience on expensive spectacles frame. The most "expensive" ones is what i am currently wearing (Toyota dun, maybe about $250 bought 3 years ago). Any recommendation of a good spectacle frame that is not very very expensive as i am surprised that you wrote that you can wear your spectacles to shower and it doesnt spoil or rust.

The nex shop only brings in these "normal" brand show below, is there any brand here i can explore?

Alain Delon
Bally
BearBrick
Bonia
Braun Buffel
Burberry
Charmant
Chloe
Calvin Klein
Coach
Converse
D&G
ELLE
Escada
Esprit
FurLA
G-Star
Jaguar
Levis
Lightec
Mercedes
NikeVision
Police
Porsche Design
Prada
Ray Ban
Renoma
Revlon
salvatore ferragamo
seiko
sworke
tokyosnap
Velentino
worksafe

My current spectacle frame looks like this pattern.

gUJphi8.jpg

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I don’t rmb saying I shower with my glasses haha....

But based on the frames you mentioned, I would lean towards Porsche design (500-600)as I worked with the frame before and know that it’s a good durable pair. But would you consider going for a pair of Lindberg? Light, comfortable and aesthetically appealing too. It cost about 100-200 more but coupled with a good lens, should last you for a good 2-3 years.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Right and slightly wrong in a way.
Business is still good just that , that particular tier/lens not doing so well. So after the revision, the sales skyrocket haha.

It’s not free upgrade from profile to v+, it’s the v+ lens itself.

I thought previously u mentioned there was a promotion free upgrade of hoya lens? No longer valid or not applicable anymore?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
The current one that I mentioned so far is

Dynamic summit to dynamic premium.
Lifestyle balansis to lifestyle v+.

Mystyle profile to v+ is 2-3 years back promo. So yeah... no longer active.

I thought previously u mentioned there was a promotion free upgrade of hoya lens? No longer valid or not applicable anymore?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dont have much experience on expensive spectacles frame. The most "expensive" ones is what i am currently wearing (Toyota dun, maybe about $250 bought 3 years ago). Any recommendation of a good spectacle frame that is not very very expensive as i am surprised that you wrote that you can wear your spectacles to shower and it doesnt spoil or rust.

My current spectacle frame looks like this pattern.

gUJphi8.jpg

You should use back yur current frame. Its a good brand. Can last at least 10 years or lifetime with proper usage. Why change when its still good?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The current one that I mentioned so far is

Dynamic summit to dynamic premium.
Lifestyle balansis to lifestyle v+.

Mystyle profile to v+ is 2-3 years back promo. So yeah... no longer active.

Lifestyle balansis is abt $1k free upgrade to lifestyle v+

Mystyle v+ highest tier $2k now reduced to $1.5k. Top up $500 to lifestyle v+ can level up another 2 tiers leh. Ofcos its the best deal. Hopefully hoya dont revise upwards again now that sales rocketed. :(

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
I don’t rmb saying I shower with my glasses haha....

But based on the frames you mentioned, I would lean towards Porsche design (500-600)as I worked with the frame before and know that it’s a good durable pair. But would you consider going for a pair of Lindberg? Light, comfortable and aesthetically appealing too. It cost about 100-200 more but coupled with a good lens, should last you for a good 2-3 years.

I did saw quiet a lot of people mentioned Lindberg in this thread and did browse the webpage on the models. As my degree and 闪光is quite high, so the lens i think i might have to get 1.6 or 1.67 index and total bill might be quite expensive. If the shop is not giving me further discount, I might consider it (i believe i still can get quite high discount). But the person whom in-charge of me will only be back in Feb, hope the price dont goes up.

This is my prescription about 2 yrs ago, so is more or less around there.

R: 750 - 100 x 62
L: 600 - 300 x 156
ADD +150
PD: 74

Last edited:

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
You should use back yur current frame. Its a good brand. Can last at least 10 years or lifetime with proper usage. Why change when its still good?

Oh, i do not have a spare spectacle to use if i use back this current frame.

Also the coating is giving way shown in the picture. Unless there is a way to do re-coating?

sbrWfDQ.jpg

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As my degree and 闪光is quite high, so the lens i think i might have to get 1.6 or 1.67 index and total bill might be quite expensive.
This is my prescription about 2 yrs ago, so is more or less around there.

R: 750 - 100 x 62
L: 600 - 300 x 156
ADD +150
PD: 74

Your lenses very thick. Lindberg might not suit you. You probably need more sturdy frame structure. Only worry if you use lindberg might slip off your face even if you use 1.67 still thick and heavy.

Kaltong

Reaction score
In my opinion, MyLifeStyle Balanis lens is an excellent lens. The clarity is superb and when I look up and down, i did not experience any distortion. Way superior than my previous pair of Nikon lens, which I made 1.5 years back in 金子眼鏡 shop in Osaka. I opted out for blue control.

Btw, I don't see many shops carry 金子眼鏡 frame in SG.

I guess you took normal lifestyle balansis without blue control? Can share your review on lifestyle balansis? Previously which lens have you been using?

Your first quote $850 a bit expensive if without blue control.

Waiting for gangsterkia boss for over a month to update whats the before and after price for 1.67 mystyle V+ and whether the promotion price is a permanent price revision or not...

lowsesbbfa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually small size frame has never left the trend. Just that 27 is really small and not many Brands carry frames of that size..

I would really say it’s a big risk and highly recommend you to stick to it haha...

15-20 years ago, 27mm would be considered normal size leh

Yar big frame trend since around 2010. Almost 10years. Big trend will only go away when kpop decide to change back to small size. Now quite hard to find 27mm height. Even 29mm already very hard to find. For me i think optimal height is 30mm. Any bigger the lens thickness will be intolerable and heavy, causing frame to slip forward and aesthetically unpleasing as well.

I think 5-7 years? From what I remember, big + round only became very popular around 2015. Before that, most specs were rectangular.

My ideal lens height is 20-23mm, but yah as you said 29mm is very hard to find - nowadays most frames are at least 40mm tall. Plus, majority are round. Not suitable for buibui with small eyes like myself.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Acetanium series can hide the thickness. And it will not slip off with proper adjustment. Fitted more than 1000+ degree and it’s fine. Also, depending on frame size, it’s still possible..

Your lenses very thick. Lindberg might not suit you. You probably need more sturdy frame structure. Only worry if you use lindberg might slip off your face even if you use 1.67 still thick and heavy.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s not too bad. Just that right now Hoya promo allows a free upgrade to lifestyle v+, so it’s an even better lens.

In my opinion, MyLifeStyle Balanis lens is an excellent lens. The clarity is superb and when I look up and down, i did not experience any distortion. Way superior than my previous pair of Nikon lens, which I made 1.5 years back in 金子眼鏡 shop in Osaka. I opted out for blue control.

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
Acetanium series can hide the thickness. And it will not slip off with proper adjustment. Fitted more than 1000+ degree and it’s fine. Also, depending on frame size, it’s still possible..

:D i am one that sometimes likes to lying on bed watch tv show in sideway position, so might keep pressing the spectacles on one side..wonder can it tahan not?

But if i still can gets the same offer last time for mystyle profile 1.67 at ahem...almost near to 4 digit only, can saved quite some money.

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Great to know your feedback is good for lifestyle balansis. My impression of nikon technology should be their clarity but maybe not as good anymore.

Kaneko optical not much presence in sg mkt. Even in japan do they have a big presence? Btw what brands are big in japan since you are always there?

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
15-20 years ago, 27mm would be considered normal size leh

I think 5-7 years? From what I remember, big + round only became very popular around 2015. Before that, most specs were rectangular.

My ideal lens height is 20-23mm, but yah as you said 29mm is very hard to find - nowadays most frames are at least 40mm tall. Plus, majority are round. Not suitable for buibui with small eyes like myself.

Yalar but as you know, optical brands and manufacturers also have to follow the big trend else they will lose out. Market demands what they will produce what to optimise profits, even though large frames arent the nicest or most suitable for everyone, especially if face is small and short. Functionality wise, large frame will cover and touch the cheekbones. By right, frame should not touch our cheeks at all other than at the nosepad area and at the ears area (not even supposed to touch our head temples). But broad asian buibui faces sure have trouble finding frames to fit. Straight temples frame suit angmoh or those skulls which are narrower in front and broader at the back. My head is broad all the way. Then if prescription is high the lens will be very thick and heavy with large frames. But frames which are too small will not be able to wrap around my head well. That is part of the reason why so many people will opt for lasik instead and much cheaper. Though technology so advanced nowadays there is still not much development and reasearch in optical lens or frames. Plastic lens generally stop at 1.74 index thinnest. And frames are all mass produced they dont even have customisation choice. So many things are now bespoke custom made yet eyewear still have not progressed much. If got customisation then will solve all your problems. You want 20mm 23mm 26mm you choose then ask factory make but must prepare to pay higher price just like bespoke shoes and suits. But how many willing to pay and which manufacturers want to do that. Guess technically too difficult and costly.

Big frames i remember around 2010 already started with those retro big frames. Maybe round ones come later.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
That’s super detailed hahahaha. There’s a few shop in Singapore that does bespoke glasses a.k.a 3D printed glasses and eyewear optics is one of them. Can consider paying them a visit if you want to make. Material is mylon and mykita 3d printed glasses is using the very same material.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.