The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi,
would like to seek some opinions.

I’m thinking of getting PC blue light specs, with No degrees and my main priority is protection - the ability of blue light filter (eg how many %cut etc)

not too concern about quality of coating or brand etc, just want a reliable brand with good protection as I may stare as computer screen up to 8-9hours on computer screen.

currently considering: Lenskart with Lutina lens (ard $170 total with promotion)

have looked at owndays lens and salesperson was saying how lenskart promoting 90% blue light cut is impossible cos if so, we won’t be able to see anything?

also heard some bad reviews of Lenskart, so just wanna find out if my ^ consideration is ok or any other recommendations that fits my criteria above! (Budget ard <200 since no degree)
Hi, I would suggest going with owndays. the higher the percentage of blue light cut, the yellower the lenses will be.
thus standard lenses in the market “block” up to 30% blue light.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no, you should be looking towards monovision. One eye see far and the other near. Though it takes time to Get used to.

Gondon72

Master Member
Reaction score
I got a question. Usually how do you all clean the spectacle lens? just using water?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I got a question. Usually how do you all clean the spectacle lens? just using water?
I rinse with water on lenses then dab with tissue and finally rub with the specs cloth.
If got oil/dirt, use mild soap, dilute further then use and clean the same way.

Hitokirii

Reaction score
Close to 10 years never change spec alr.
Quite surprise at the price.

Not sure if is expensive or not.
700+ @ Ownday for progressive , transition, blue light.
Lens alone 500. Frame is 200.

tpmmark

Reaction score
I’m also thinking to get a new pair with progressive or digital lens. Those that have differ power on top and bottom. Is the progressive lens betters in terms of clarity far and near and more comfortable?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I’m also thinking to get a new pair with progressive or digital lens. Those that have differ power on top and bottom. Is the progressive lens betters in terms of clarity far and near and more comfortable?
It actually depends on how high is your presbyopia level, the higher it is, the more distortion/blur there is at the peripheral of your lenses. Thus better tiered lenses are recommended.
Digital lenses are good for individuals who just started having presbyopia/laohua or individuals 20-30+ that use alot of digital devices.
In conclusion, if you are 43++, maybe a prob is a better option. If not just use a digital lens and get used to how to view with the lenses and when you use progressives in future, it would be easier to adapt!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Close to 10 years never change spec alr.
Quite surprise at the price.

Not sure if is expensive or not.
700+ @ Ownday for progressive , transition, blue light.
Lens alone 500. Frame is 200.
500 for the lenses.. high index? If basic 1.5 then it must be a higher tier owndays lens. Usually progressive lenses are more costly. But if you prescription is high then you have to use high index which jerks the prices up more. Otherwise I think it’s pretty acceptable. There are places that sell the lenses for 100-200 plus progressives but those are pretty poor in terms of quality. E.g. small near reading zones, poor distance sharpness etc.

jenniferx

Reaction score
Hi, I would suggest going with owndays. the higher the percentage of blue light cut, the yellower the lenses will be.
thus standard lenses in the market “block” up to 30% blue light.
Hmmm any review of the Lutina Lens from Japan? Is it good for blue light protection?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmmm any review of the Lutina Lens from Japan? Is it good for blue light protection?
In general all blue light filter lenses works well. The more concerned factor would be the durability of the lenses coating which in turn decides how long/clear your lenses last

Hitokirii

Reaction score
500 for the lenses.. high index? If basic 1.5 then it must be a higher tier owndays lens. Usually progressive lenses are more costly. But if you prescription is high then you have to use high index which jerks the prices up more. Otherwise I think it’s pretty acceptable. There are places that sell the lenses for 100-200 plus progressives but those are pretty poor in terms of quality. E.g. small near reading zones, poor distance sharpness etc.

I chose the high tier for transition .
mid tier for progressive .
index , I did not check with them .

if I choose the highest tier for progressive , the spec will be 900 plus.
Anyway , quite happy the price is transparent .but maybe for the same price , I can get much better quality elsewhere .
Just surprise nowadays even normal spec cost so much . My last spec is Oakley , do 10 years ago , around 500 to 600

btw from the prescription , it seems like it does not state whether the index is 1.6 or 1.7.
is it embedded somewhere that I missed out ?

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I chose the high tier for transition .
mid tier for progressive .
index , I did not check with them .

if I choose the highest tier for progressive , the spec will be 900 plus.
Anyway , quite happy the price is transparent .but maybe for the same price , I can get much better quality elsewhere .
Just surprise nowadays even normal spec cost so much . My last spec is Oakley , do 10 years ago , around 500 to 600

btw from the prescription , it seems like it does not state whether the index is 1.6 or 1.7.
is it embedded somewhere that I missed out ?
I believe with 700+ and with photochromic lenses you will be able to get an average tier lenses W/O the frame. E.g. Essilor Hoya Zeiss. So it’s not a bad buy IF wearing it is comfortable for you.
when it comes to progressives, the lenses are the killer as compared to single vision.

One pair of single vision lenses could cost maybe 30-50(Low), 70-90(mid) , and 110-170(high). Whereas for progressives 150-200(Low), 300-450(mid) , 600+ high. Average ball park figure without considering the index of the lenses. But also because of inflation etc so prices surely rises along with it. But again you are using progressive which leads to you realising the stark price differences.

jenniferx

Reaction score
In general all blue light filter lenses works well. The more concerned factor would be the durability of the lenses coating which in turn decides how long/clear your lenses last
Oh I see, is Lutina durable then? Or any other lens recommendations?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh I see, is Lutina durable then? Or any other lens recommendations?
There are more durable lens brand but as you are getting from either owndays/lens kart thus you are limited to certain options.

However, handling is also a factor. If we can handle our glasses well, don’t drop it, don’t use clothing to wipe lenses etc, the coating will not be damaged so quickly.

Terminatron

Master Member
Reaction score
got company budget of 400usd for specs.... any recommendations for frame + lens combi? mine is just normal myopia -2.75 on both sides.

is 999.9 any good?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
got company budget of 400usd for specs.... any recommendations for frame + lens combi? mine is just normal myopia -2.75 on both sides.

is 999.9 any good?
Hi!
Relatively good I would say. You could opt for 1.55 lenses but if you prefer them to be thinner/lighter then go for 1.60. No need to go higher than 1.60 index. 1.60 and 1.67 index for your prescription will have minimal differences.

jeepers

Reaction score
****ing cb my eyevans broke within six months of each other after maybe about 2-3 years of rotational use. One pair broke at the hinge, the other snapped at the bottom part of the lens. Did I unluckily get ass pieces or do Eyevans just not last?

My vintage OP broke also. Had to dig up my old OP NDG and found an old pair of heavily abused frames with the brand “Lafont”, which I used during army.

Anyone has:
1. More information on the brand “Lafont”
2. Any brand recommendations for frames?

I’ve been going to Pearl Optics since I was a kid, but due to the poor selection of frames, I buy my frames directly when I travel. The 2 pairs of eyevans were bought in Tokyo on my last trip there in 2018 or 2019.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
****ing cb my eyevans broke within six months of each other after maybe about 2-3 years of rotational use. One pair broke at the hinge, the other snapped at the bottom part of the lens. Did I unluckily get ass pieces or do Eyevans just not last?

My vintage OP broke also. Had to dig up my old OP NDG and found an old pair of heavily abused frames with the brand “Lafont”, which I used during army.

Anyone has:
1. More information on the brand “Lafont”
2. Any brand recommendations for frames?

I’ve been going to Pearl Optics since I was a kid, but due to the poor selection of frames, I buy my frames directly when I travel. The 2 pairs of eyevans were bought in Tokyo on my last trip there in 2018 or 2019.
Wa, feels abit shag to hear about your eyevans.
lafont is a French mid-luxury brand but for you to use it in army.. solid! Hahaha
The eyevans you purchased in general are those thin titanium arm frames series?
If you like thin, light, hardy, titanium frames, I can suggest Markus T, Lindberg RIM. IMO they are lasting and comfortable. there is another brand named Gotti from Switzerland but I am afraid it might end of the same way as your Eyevans.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.