The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Need some advice on lenses. I’m currently using Zeiss 1.67 Single Vision Superb + Duravision BlueProtect + iScription. Glasses have been in use for around 4 years, and looking to replace.

Read with interest that there are now blue-light blocking lenses which do not have a yellowish hue. I’m an amateur photographer and colour accuracy is ideal (although not critical). Also read that the Zeiss lenses (even without Bluprotect) now have a yellow tinge.

Lastly, wanted to get your feedback on whether iScription is worth the cost. My current pair of glasses is definitely clearer, but not sure if it’s the freeform lenses, or iScription.

Given the following, not sure if the pros could recommend a couple of lense options? It’s been a while, so wanted to get myself updated.

My RX:
L: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 173
R: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 177

Thanks!

An option would be Shamir smart sv (AS WORN) 1.67 with bluezero as the clarity would be matched closer to what you are using right now. Bluezero would be to have the lessen/none yellowish hue.

You could also look towards what user eyezoneoptics recommends which is either the tokai Lutina or ashahi lenses which also has the closer to none/lessen yellowish hue.

epigram

Reaction score
Hi Bro,

Tokai 1.76 Aspheric & Bi-Aspheric are both available locally. If your degree is not very high, i suggest going for just 1.76 Aspheric will do. :s13:

Thanks! I used to only use Zeiss glass then plastic and none of the alternative brands were as clear as Zeiss until I discovered Tokai. Which is available with transitions! Something zeiss can't do

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm using Nikon lenses myself. The lenses you are using are of the highest tier.
Iscription makes it very customisable to your frame but whether or not it is worth it varies between individuals. I have customers saying it doesn't do much, i also have those who say it makes a difference. The top up isn't THAT much..

For Nikon lenses, Seemax Infinite 1.67 with blue control. (Personal preference if you like really clear lenses without the yellowing .. BUT it has a slight blue coating but not very obvious to me at least)

Shamir smart SV could be an alternative as well.

These are my personal opinion and might vary between individuals :)

An option would be Shamir smart sv (AS WORN) 1.67 with bluezero as the clarity would be matched closer to what you are using right now. Bluezero would be to have the lessen/none yellowish hue.

You could also look towards what user eyezoneoptics recommends which is either the tokai Lutina or ashahi lenses which also has the closer to none/lessen yellowish hue.

Thanks all! I'm actually quite happy with Zeiss, so I'm now considering whether to stick back to Zeiss+iScription (but minus BlueProtect to eliminate the hue), or to go for Nikon/Shamir (without iScription).

Could you also comment on scratch resistance/coating durability for both the Nikon and Shamir? Find that Duravision Platinum is fairly long lasting.

Also, not sure if you could comment if these alternatives are more expensive than the Zeiss (minus iScription)? If pricing is too sensitive, feel free to PM me too.

Last edited:

icedpeachtea

Master Member
Reaction score
Any shops in the west or central to recommend? - wanna change the lens of my old specs (the shop where I made the specs at has closed down)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks all! I'm actually quite happy with Zeiss, so I'm now considering whether to stick back to Zeiss+iScription (but minus BlueProtect to eliminate the hue), or to go for Nikon/Shamir (without iScription).

Could you also comment on scratch resistance/coating durability for both the Nikon and Shamir? Find that Duravision Platinum is fairly long lasting.

Also, not sure if you could comment if these alternatives are more expensive than the Zeiss (minus iScription)? If pricing is too sensitive, feel free to PM me too.

Hi there, frankly speaking, if you are happy with zeiss, stick to it.
Some people might be more particular about the hue of the lenses but i don't think you are based on how you are trying to ask for information.

I believe all 3 have good durability in their coating and if you don't do any rough activities with them, it will definitely reduce the chances of the coating peeling/damage. :)
Price range would be similar without iscription for the 3.

Any shops in the west or central to recommend? - wanna change the lens of my old specs (the shop where I made the specs at has closed down)

for your benefit : mr eyewear in the west.
central area plaza sing - KJ optometrists

Reaction score

Hi all,

Need some advice on lenses. I’m currently using Zeiss 1.67 Single Vision Superb + Duravision BlueProtect + iScription. Glasses have been in use for around 4 years, and looking to replace.

Read with interest that there are now blue-light blocking lenses which do not have a yellowish hue. I’m an amateur photographer and colour accuracy is ideal (although not critical). Also read that the Zeiss lenses (even without Bluprotect) now have a yellow tinge.

Lastly, wanted to get your feedback on whether iScription is worth the cost. My current pair of glasses is definitely clearer, but not sure if it’s the freeform lenses, or iScription.

Given the following, not sure if the pros could recommend a couple of lense options? It’s been a while, so wanted to get myself updated.

My RX:
L: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 173
R: SPH -5.00, CYL -1.50, Axis 177

Thanks!

Hi Bro,

Both Tokai Lutina and Asahi Lite is almost clear but when viewing colours, colour accuracy might be affected. Colours tend to appear warmer too. If colour accuracy is of importance, i suggest going for just normal Lenses without Blue filter properties :)

SNAG

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there, frankly speaking, if you are happy with zeiss, stick to it.
Some people might be more particular about the hue of the lenses but i don't think you are based on how you are trying to ask for information.

I believe all 3 have good durability in their coating and if you don't do any rough activities with them, it will definitely reduce the chances of the coating peeling/damage. :)
Price range would be similar without iscription for the 3.

for your benefit : mr eyewear in the west.
central area plaza sing - KJ optometrists

Noted. The yellowish hue isn't a deal breaker for me, but I edit/print photos on a calibrated screen. In my case, I need to calibrate my screen by putting my glasses in between the calibration device and the monitor. Which is a really bad idea..

Hi Bro,

Both Tokai Lutina and Asahi Lite is almost clear but when viewing colours, colour accuracy might be affected. Colours tend to appear warmer too. If colour accuracy is of importance, i suggest going for just normal Lenses without Blue filter properties :)

Noted - thank you!

Last edited:

sillyb0y

Master Member
Reaction score
Where got sell cheap rayban c/w prescriptions lans?

All shop are selling frame price around $299++ + lens $150++..

Biogentic

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Went down to my favourite JP optician and she recommended Lindberg frames as they can customise everything from frame, bridge, temple, color, etc. But I saw the gold frame costs more than 8k without lenses. Also their titanium range costs $700 excluding lenses too. Any thoughts?

I bought the lindberg buffalo horn + zesis digital lens for about 10months and still loving it very much. it is the best spectacle that I own and sometimes I feel like getting another pair lighter in colour but unsure which to go for....

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Check out the Unica collection. The marbling looks really nice and obvious.

Lighter Color might backfire depending on your skin tone. And also the Color really depends on your luck if you can find the Color you like on the correct frame as no 2 frames will have the same Color.

I bought the lindberg buffalo horn + zesis digital lens for about 10months and still loving it very much. it is the best spectacle that I own and sometimes I feel like getting another pair lighter in colour but unsure which to go for....

vbhelper

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

any pciture?
how much is the damage?

nethdale

Reaction score
Check out the Unica collection. The marbling looks really nice and obvious.

Lighter Color might backfire depending on your skin tone. And also the Color really depends on your luck if you can find the Color you like on the correct frame as no 2 frames will have the same Color.

Hi Gangsterkia, do you refer to Unica Horn? Can PM me the damage for frame alone? Thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.