The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

salmonella

Reaction score
They are really comparable to the other lens of similar tier. You can consider trying it honestly.

May I know how you find that it is comparable? Eg, Is it based on some scientific measure, customer feedback/returns, you tried it yourself, ...?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Based on customer feedback and imptly, from my colleagues who are older than me that tries such lenses on constant basis. I am not at that stage yet haha.

May I know how you find that it is comparable? Eg, Is it based on some scientific measure, customer feedback/returns, you tried it yourself, ...?

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes it helps to reduce glare.

Gimmick would be to say it prevents cataract and such, as not enough studies can prove that currently.

For someone who is facing the computer/phone screen alot, is the anti-blue light lens useful?

Or it is just a marketing gimmick

Reaction score
U sell lenses? Can advise whether crizal prevencia, zeiss blue protect or kodak uv blue best? Don't want yellow tint.

Crizal Prevencia & Zeiss BlueProtect uses a Blue Coating to reflect blue Light. These lenses usually appear much more yellowish than normal.

Kodak UVblue has HEV(Blue) Filter properties inbuilt into the material, this lens will have a more natural view.

:)

Reaction score
Yes it helps to reduce glare.

Gimmick would be to say it prevents cataract and such, as not enough studies can prove that currently.

Hmm quite a number of recent studies supporting the notion "High Energy Visible light in the wavelength ~410nm-455nm causing early occurance of Cataract & AMD"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6288536/
https://www.aoa.org/Documents/CRG/Blue Light and Eye Damage.pdf
https://www.preventblindness.org/blue-light-and-your-eyes
https://opto.ca/health-library/blue-light-is-there-risk-of-harm

:)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah, over-exposure to blue light does “factor” in the formation of cataract. Main causes would be still over-exposure to UV light, smoking, diet.

I mentioned that it is a gimmick to say it “PREVENTS” cataract or even AMD. Users at older age would be recommended more for such protection feature. For individuals like myself who are in the 20s mainly uses it to reduce glare. Blue light lenses does not prevent but may reduce chances of formation.

Also most articles usually mention the common cause of cataract formation or even AMD is due to Ageing and of course the usual exposure to UV.

To clarify any misunderstanding, overexposure to blue light is a factor that might accelerate the formation of cataract but not the main case. That does not mean blue light is bad as again from the articles, we need blue light for our body to function day to day, sleeping routine and more.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Article 1:Retina is the initial site of vision formation, and it is also the lesion site of various blinding eye diseases. It plays an important role in preventing blindness. Blue light can penetrate through lens to the retina and cause retinal photochemical damage. At present, there are relatively many studies on blue light's effects on the retina, but they are still being debated.

Quote 2:The results show that screen reading can lead to the occurrence and development of poor eyesight in schoolchildren, and the higher incidence of nearsightedness correlates with the increase in the length of the screen reading time[31]. From the difference between screen reading and outdoor activities, we found that outdoor activities are exposed to natural light, which is more concentrated in short-wave blue light than other artificial light sources. The study of Rucker et al[32] suggested that sunlight is much richer in short-wavelength light than most artificial illuminants, which turned to reduce the eye length through the mechanism of retinal dopamine release. In addition, the research also showed that blue light was essential for the reduction in astigmatism during development.

Article 2: Their results showed that persons who reported more than five hours a day of summer sun exposure in their teens, in their 30s, and at the baseline examination, had a higher risk of developing retinal changes indicative of early age-related maculopathy than those exposed for less than two hours per day. Additionally, for those showing the high outdoor exposures, using a hat or sunglasses decreased the risk of early ARM changes by nearly 50 percent.
Also(edit)Most electronic displays and our newer residential light sources (CFLs and LEDs) have substantially greater blue light production than traditional incandescent sources. Also, a Harvard researcher (Lockley 2007) has recommended that blue-blocking sunglasses should not be recommended for night shift workers driving home from work as the early morning blue light from the sun would be advantageous to increase alertness. The same argument would apply to anyone driving with less than desired alertness

Link 3/4:It's more of an general website page which takes its information from compiled studies. Viable.

Once again, i agree with you that blue light might factor in eye diseases in the future,studies are still ongoing thus UV-protection is the No.1 need and for blue light, it is subjective whether the individual patient needs it or not.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Article 1:Retina is the initial site of vision formation, and it is also the lesion site of various blinding eye diseases. It plays an important role in preventing blindness. Blue light can penetrate through lens to the retina and cause retinal photochemical damage. At present, there are relatively many studies on blue light's effects on the retina, but they are still being debated.

Quote 2:The results show that screen reading can lead to the occurrence and development of poor eyesight in schoolchildren, and the higher incidence of nearsightedness correlates with the increase in the length of the screen reading time[31]. From the difference between screen reading and outdoor activities, we found that outdoor activities are exposed to natural light, which is more concentrated in short-wave blue light than other artificial light sources. The study of Rucker et al[32] suggested that sunlight is much richer in short-wavelength light than most artificial illuminants, which turned to reduce the eye length through the mechanism of retinal dopamine release. In addition, the research also showed that blue light was essential for the reduction in astigmatism during development.

Article 2: Their results showed that persons who reported more than five hours a day of summer
sun exposure in their teens, in their 30s, and at the baseline examination, had a higher risk of
developing retinal changes indicative of early age-related maculopathy than those exposed for
less than two hours per day. Additionally, for those showing the high outdoor exposures, using a
hat or sunglasses decreased the risk of early ARM changes by nearly 50 percent.

Link 3/4:It's more of an general website page which takes its information from compiled studies. Viable.

Once again, i agree with you that blue light might factor in eye diseases in the future,studies are still ongoing thus UV-protection is the No.1 need and for blue light, it is subjective whether the individual patient needs it or not.

Edit:for those wondering about such lenses, it is an extra protection for you to choose the blue light lenses, but it take note, do not confuse ANTI-blue light and blue light filter. These lenses still allows blue light to go through, just significantly lesser.
Blue light is not necessarily a bad thing, just that *re-emphasize* over-exposure could be a potential hazard.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
qMZjf5N.jpg
6QTTOcI.jpg

First image is a normal blue light reflect lenses to show how much hev is filtered.
Second image is a normal blue light absorb lenses.
It will not be 100% or else whatever you see is just yellow.

cmos196

Reaction score
Any optical shop recommendation near Farrer road/Tan Kah Kee MRT?

Hi,
Any optical shop recommendation near Farrer road/Tan Kah Kee MRT?
I want to have a pair of progressive lenses.

Thank you!

Reaction score
qMZjf5N.jpg
6QTTOcI.jpg

First image is a normal blue light reflect lenses to show how much hev is filtered.
Second image is a normal blue light absorb lenses.
It will not be 100% or else whatever you see is just yellow.

Hmm Why does your Blue absorb lenses filter out only 17% HEV light?

This demostration by Tokai showing their Lutina filtering out quite alot🤭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYvnyAharM

Btw, a quick explanation of HEV(High Energy Visible) light vs blue light.

Blue light generally is defined as visible light ranging from 380 to 500nm.
HEV is part of the blue light spectrum ranging from ~400-450nm.

The lower the wavelength, the higher the energy it has, the more damages it does to the eyes.

Blocking all blue light is not good as blue light is essential for our daily activities. But excessive HEV light from any light source is not good for the eyes though.

End of day, its up to our own interpretation of materials/studies available around. :s13::s13:

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
This demonstration is just to show the blue light being filtered out which all blue light absorb lens is able to do.
1W8YDbI.jpg

L3JOusZ.jpg

Second picture look at the faint purplish dot not the brighter one.
UVA,UVB is 100% blocked off. UVC is mostly absorbed from our atmosphere. UVA is the one that is instrumental in development of eye diseases. Thus as I mention, it is a gimmick to say it prevents but more of just slowing down or just extra protection. It still lies on the individual body resistance. I believe we seen many individuals without such protection at old age with heathy eyes too.
Yes it is impt to understand the studies and reading and more research has to be done to reach a conclusive statement. Until it is confirmed, we can’t give a definitive statement.

Hmm Why does your Blue absorb lenses filter out only 17% HEV light?

This demostration by Tokai showing their Lutina filtering out quite alot🤭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJYvnyAharM

Btw, a quick explanation of HEV(High Energy Visible) light vs blue light.

Blue light generally is defined as visible light ranging from 380 to 500nm.
HEV is part of the blue light spectrum ranging from ~400-450nm.

The lower the wavelength, the higher the energy it has, the more damages it does to the eyes.

Blocking all blue light is not good as blue light is essential for our daily activities. But excessive HEV light from any light source is not good for the eyes though.

End of day, its up to our own interpretation of materials/studies available around. :s13::s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
TJ4r5WQ.jpg
I

A better indication where to look at. Inside the Teal circle. Can you spot it?

P.S. I am not trying to say which brand is better as I’m neutral. But I just need to share that blue light filter lens has it’s own pros and cons and not everyone needs it.
And if they need, blue light reflect and blue light absorbs have their own pros and cons too. Doesn’t mean lesser light go through the lens and it is the better one.

Last edited:

shenjingbing

Reaction score
is it normal that my vision through the crizal eyezen is only clear when i look through it in the middle? And it gets blurry when i roll my eyes to the left or right? Blurry also when i roll my eyes to look at stuff through the top of the lens?

KingOfSbw

Master Member
Reaction score
is it normal that my vision through the crizal eyezen is only clear when i look through it in the middle? And it gets blurry when i roll my eyes to the left or right? Blurry also when i roll my eyes to look at stuff through the top of the lens?
Am using eyezen, same experience when i see right or left
Abit blurry

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Good morning, Yes this is normal. Due to the fact that as the lower portion of the lenses having their degree lowered by about 0.40/0.50 thus this effect will cause the peripheral distortion.

Totally fine, it will train you to get used to digital lenses and progressives in future!

Reaction score
Am using eyezen, same experience when i see right or left
Abit blurry

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Not really normal for a pair of anti-fatigue lenses.

the slight reading boost at the bottom shouldn't cause any distortion on the sides.

Its normal for bottom to be slightly blur(Due to reading Boost), but the sides shouldn't be blur

Always remember that a pair of glasses should be there to assist you in achieving comfortable vision and not make you feel uneasy

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi, as Long as there is a reduction of power or added [+] in such lenses. There is bound to be distortion. However how it is being viewed is entire based on the sensitivity threshold of the patient wearing it. Just like how you add more + to a progressive. Soft/hard design lenses will have this effect too. Especially if it’s hard design lenses which eyezen is.
Even at such Low add I would say maybe 10% of individuals would feel it.

Not really normal for a pair of anti-fatigue lenses.

the slight reading boost at the bottom shouldn't cause any distortion on the sides.

Its normal for bottom to be slightly blur(Due to reading Boost), but the sides shouldn't be blur

Always remember that a pair of glasses should be there to assist you in achieving comfortable vision and not make you feel uneasy

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
BBSfXm7.jpg

Tokai lutina hev cut off. For the general public awareness. 10-17% is the standard uev cut off for blue light filter lenses. 100% cut off is just for UVA and UVB.

5VCJlAf.jpg

As mentioned. ALL blue light ABSORB lens does the same “magic” of being able to cut off the laser pen test. Important thing is to choose the right type for the patient job/need.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
bwBosCj.jpg

Pardon my drawing. But this is a brief representation between the difference of hard and soft design lenses. You can consult your optometrist/optician for more info too.
This designs applies to lenses which allows you to see far/near/intermediate e.g. zeiss digital lens, EnergizeMe, hoya sync, eyezen and more.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.