The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there, it’s alr on a promotional price already thus you are getting a free upgrade/a promo kinda price. But I do know certain places might still give you a slight discount further. If you are interested I can update you on a place to go and the person to look for.

Hi All,

Need advice here, based on below prescription, my neighborhood optical shop (Optique Zone at Bishan) quoted me $850 for Hoya Life Balance lens, which will be upgraded to the next tier due to current promotion.

Is it possible to get cheaper somewhere else? I will be recycling one of my old frame (Charmant Z)

R: +4.50
L: +5.50

CYL: -0.50

Axis: 160

ADD: 1.75 (R/L)

TIA

Kaltong

Reaction score
Hi there, it’s alr on a promotional price already thus you are getting a free upgrade/a promo kinda price. But I do know certain places might still give you a slight discount further. If you are interested I can update you on a place to go and the person to look for.

Yes, please let me know. Cos, I paid HKD4200 recently in HK for the lens. Thanks GANGSTERKIA!

Last edited:

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Need advice here, based on below prescription, my neighborhood optical shop (Optique Zone at Bishan) quoted me $850 for Hoya Life Balance lens, which will be upgraded to the next tier due to current promotion.

Is it possible to get cheaper somewhere else? I will be recycling one of my old frame (Charmant Z)

R: +4.50
L: +5.50

CYL: -0.50

Axis: 160

ADD: 1.75 (R/L)

TIA

Lifrstyle balansis so cheap only $850 arr? Index 1.6 or 1.67??

Seannie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Light, comfortable, durable, aesthetically appealing, High quality workmanship.

Sounds Like a good price. I know of other japonism model that cost 700-800 too. It’s a good choice.

Does your new shop carry japonism?

Hard to find shops with japonism in sg.

luckygal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just popped by Owndays. Realise need to top up $200 for their transition lens instead of the usual $100. Asked them why. They said they have upgraded their lens and the lens turn dark faster. So if you choose a $198 frame total cost will be $398. Better off going to a optical shop.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Transition 8. Thats the new one.
Owndays slowly “upgrading” to a higher price alr..

I just popped by Owndays. Realise need to top up $200 for their transition lens instead of the usual $100. Asked them why. They said they have upgraded their lens and the lens turn dark faster. So if you choose a $198 frame total cost will be $398. Better off going to a optical shop.

Aion99

Reaction score
Taobao, Tmall selling 1.67 high quality lenses with frame, total less than SGD150, could be as low as SGD50 if you opt for local china brand. You can imagine the profit margin of local shops here is extremely high.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi there, just to clarify.

Quality and clarity of lenses will be the deciding factor just like what people use to talk about owndays lenses. Ultimately, most will still prefer using the better lens brand. And anyone can say their lenses is high quality. I hope if you purchase it, you will still be able to obtain optimum clarity and frame fit adjustment.
Think of it this way, clothing you buy, food you eat e.g. pizza and all also have high profit margin. They are all used to cover rent, staff salary, stock cost.
But of course no one can stop you from using such products, as long as we feel happy , most impt.

P.s. I know of progressive lenses that cost 15-16 dollars but quality and clarity... hahaha, sure most of us here will understand.

Cheers!

Taobao, Tmall selling 1.67 high quality lenses with frame, total less than SGD150, could be as low as SGD5 if you opt for local china brand. You can imagine the profit margin of local shops here is extremely high.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe your version of branded is Prada,Gucci,Chanel , Dior?( if yes then I agree)

However niche/better Brand’s or High quality frames like Lindberg, mykita, Markus t, yellows plus, Theo aren’t made in China. Item quality is way different if you ever get a chance to try.

No popular shops in Singapore could sell that many frames per day or their stock would be wiped out. I believe you are referring to owndays, lenskart etc OR online shops. Yes they are cheap and might sell fast but the rate of change for majority of customers is also fast. In terms of competition, you might be surprise to find out that local brick and mortar are still doing well and fine.

Again, those that are happy with small price purchase would get their satisfaction fulfilled. whereas for the other spectrum of spec lovers, what you mentioned will not be factored as they understand the price to pay for quality products.

I hope not all of us here will get the impression that branded frames are from China and thus getting ridiculously marked up.

There was a typo for 1.67 lenses with frame. as low as SGD5 should be SGD50. In sg, the same thing will cost at least SGD200

Of course there are thousands of shops there, not every shop is good. But majority at TMALL seems good. "Branded" frames/lenses selling in SG could be made in China. The same factory that produce those "branded" items just re-label and sell as "Generic" brand but 70% - 80% lower price. Actually the items quality are the same as there are the same thing.

Some popular shops their daily sale volume could be thousands frames/lenses per day. With such huge volume, economies of scale results in further price drop. SG won't be able to compete in terms of products variety/quality/volume.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I considered setting up an online shop too, I ordered some lenses across different China suppliers and frames.
It was pretty clear on the quality of the products.
I would feel that the quality you get is what you pay for.

Just like why people would pay so much for watches, some would settle for Casio, swatch, others Rolex, AP. Quality is there and known.

I will not disagree that those cheaper lenses are sold at ridiculously cheap price and shops in Singapore are marked up. BUT, think of what I mentioned earlier on the constraints we face. You order from these website, if problems faced, where do you get your troubleshooting, who will do your frame adjustments etc..?

Previous there was a typo for 1.67 lenses with frame. "as low as SGD5" should be SGD50. In sg, the same thing will cost at least SGD200

There are thousands of shops there, not every shop is good. But majority at TMALL seems OK. For popular items their daily sale volume could be more than hundreds frames/lenses per day. With such huge volume, economies of scale results in further price drop. SG won't be able to compete in terms of products variety/quality/volume.

"Branded" frames/lenses selling in SG could be made in China. Factory that produce those "branded" frames/lenses usually just re-label, and they can sell those expensive branded items as "Local Generic" brand with 70% - 80% lower price. Actually the items quality are the same as there are the same thing.

Trans-Am

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much will it cost to redo the multi coating?

Sent from A universe Where pink PWNED everything using GAGT

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Some updates here. Good news, Hoya highest tier Mystyle v+ has a new price revision. Previously 1.5 would cost 1500, now it’s going at 980. I believe there was a review here by a user too.

For those intending to change, can take note of this new info.

Edit: I checked, there is no changes to to lenses material, clarity and design. Price lowered to be more competitive. Also if you purchase it, your second pair if you make office lens will be 50% off on top of lens price. So can use old frame to do it.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.