The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

nethdale

Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

What would be your suggested solution for a progressive lens wearer to have a shade particularly when driving or occasionally at the beach? Recently, I just enquired that a big brand (but couldn't recall its name) can have a coat on the lens but I kind of dislike as it will look dark the moment I step outdoor. I prefer to have clear lens on my lens. Putting on those clip-on seems out for me. Hiao la. Haa. Getting my old Ray Ban to make a progressive lens with non-Ray Ban coating is not cheap either, at least for me. I wonder what is your expert's view? Thanks.

victorkk

Reaction score
I'm currently using varilux X. Recently been using too much computer and eyesight seems to be affected.

Can seek advise from bros here if varilux X is still one of the better ones now?

I'm thinking of getting something similar that has widest area of vision, like what varilux X offer and maybe transition coating. Is it advisable to get transition coating? Hopefully as clear as possible, anti dust, high scratch resistance..

Lastly, any shop to recommend ah? Last time go bras basah one but always got headache for one month.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm currently using varilux X. Recently been using too much computer and eyesight seems to be affected.

Can seek advise from bros here if varilux X is still one of the better ones now?

I'm thinking of getting something similar that has widest area of vision, like what varilux X offer and maybe transition coating. Is it advisable to get transition coating? Hopefully as clear as possible, anti dust, high scratch resistance..

Lastly, any shop to recommend ah? Last time go bras basah one but always got headache for one month.
Hi, the X series lenses are one of the better tier lenses already. KS is a really good optical practice. Widest you can consider mystyle V+, they have priced down significantly and is really comfortable to wear. If you spend many hours outdoor then photochromatic lenses might be better for you.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

What would be your suggested solution for a progressive lens wearer to have a shade particularly when driving or occasionally at the beach? Recently, I just enquired that a big brand (but couldn't recall its name) can have a coat on the lens but I kind of dislike as it will look dark the moment I step outdoor. I prefer to have clear lens on my lens. Putting on those clip-on seems out for me. Hiao la. Haa. Getting my old Ray Ban to make a progressive lens with non-Ray Ban coating is not cheap either, at least for me. I wonder what is your expert's view? Thanks.

I get back to you again this evening!

victorkk

Reaction score
Hi, the X series lenses are one of the better tier lenses already. KS is a really good optical practice. Widest you can consider mystyle V+, they have priced down significantly and is really comfortable to wear. If you spend many hours outdoor then photochromatic lenses might be better for you.
Thanks for the information. i was told by another shop that KS push up the myopia (about 100 deg) and push down the astig (about 50deg), thats why i ended up with headache for one month. Maybe my eyesight has already changed by the time the other shop tested my eyes. Or i should go back there but get a different person to test for me instead? :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia,

Oh man, what you asking for quite impossible hahah. Was it photofusion, sensity or transitions? Either way, not possible to be clear indoor and dark outdoor. I would recommend customised clip on. They are cut according to the shape of your frame and it looks much better than those Mickey Mouse clip on you see outside. It takes about 3-5 days to make, but it looks really good. You can drop by eyewear optics to enquire and make.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. i was told by another shop that KS push up the myopia (about 100 deg) and push down the astig (about 50deg), thats why i ended up with headache for one month. Maybe my eyesight has already changed by the time the other shop tested my eyes. Or i should go back there but get a different person to test for me instead? :)
I feel it depends on yourself though, if you feel comfortable with them to go back then by all means give them a chance again. If not then you can consider another practitioner to help you..

nethdale

Reaction score
Oh man, what you asking for quite impossible hahah. Was it photofusion, sensity or transitions? Either way, not possible to be clear indoor and dark outdoor. I would recommend customised clip on. They are cut according to the shape of your frame and it looks much better than those Mickey Mouse clip on you see outside. It takes about 3-5 days to make, but it looks really good. You can drop by eyewear optics to enquire and make.
Thanks for your reply. In general, estimate how much would that be? Thanks

victorkk

Reaction score
I feel it depends on yourself though, if you feel comfortable with them to go back then by all means give them a chance again. If not then you can consider another practitioner to help you..
I have PM you. :D my eyesight is now very dependent on the glasses so must find one that i can trust.

slashiroth

Reaction score
I have a pair of ray ban aviator glasses with prescription lens. It's kind of scratched and I'm looking to get a replacement lens for it. Can I just go to any optical shops for it?

nethdale

Reaction score
80-120. It’s polarised too. Trust me when I see it doesn’t look like those typical clip ons. They do it really well.
Oh, that is cool. Anyone to look for at eyewear optics? Pls PM me? Is Eyewear Optics located in Plaza Thomson? On second thought, it is clip-on and I do see the clip? Do they also customised similar to Ray-Ban's mirror shade? Looking forward to receiving your PM, if applicable. Sorry for all the noob questions and thank you so much.

Last edited:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of ray ban aviator glasses with prescription lens. It's kind of scratched and I'm looking to get a replacement lens for it. Can I just go to any optical shops for it?
Hey, as long as the lenses/frame is not discontinued, you will be able to get it replaced. if you customised the lenses(not rayban), also possible.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, that is cool. Anyone to look for at eyewear optics? Pls PM me? Is Eyewear Optics located in Plaza Thomson? On second thought, it is clip-on and I do see the clip? Do they also customised similar to Ray-Ban's mirror shade? Looking forward to receiving your PM, if applicable. Sorry for all the noob questions and thank you so much.
I will pm you later tonight👌

nethdale

Reaction score
I will pm you later tonight👌
Hi Gangsterkia, thanks for you reply. You need not reply me as I have visited the Eyewear Optics couple hours ago. I have seen the clip on. Being vain, haa. I think I will look for alternatives if I have extra money. By the way, it is $128 for the customisation.

Separately, according to optometrist who attended to me, she shared that if I used my Ray Ban to transform it into shade, she said the view may be "distorted" due to the big surface of Ray Ban, even I use Hoya progressive lens?

Thanks.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Gangsterkia, thanks for you reply. You need not reply me as I have visited the Eyewear Optics couple hours ago. I have seen the clip on. Being vain, haa. I think I will look for alternatives if I have extra money. By the way, it is $128 for the customisation.

Separately, according to optometrist who attended to me, she shared that if I used my Ray Ban to transform it into shade, she said the view may be "distorted" due to the big surface of Ray Ban, even I use Hoya progressive lens?

Thanks.
Yes, I know who attended to you haha. The larger the lenses, the more peripheral distortion there is.

koster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have recently downgraded from Hoya Mystyle to Rodenstock progressive lens offered by Lenskart. In terms of clarity, I would say is 10% difference but price difference is abt $1.2k (Hoya) vs $700 (Lenskart's Rodenstock) for 2 pairs. So it works out to be only about one third. Not sure about the durability as I only started wearing few days ago.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I have recently downgraded from Hoya Mystyle to Rodenstock progressive lens offered by Lenskart. In terms of clarity, I would say is 10% difference but price difference is abt $1.2k (Hoya) vs $700 (Lenskart's Rodenstock) for 2 pairs. So it works out to be only about one third. Not sure about the durability as I only started wearing few days ago.
That’s great for you, it means that your tolerance level for progressives is very high, thus you are able to adapt easily to other tier lenses. Still can save more money at the same time. Win win haha

koster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That’s great for you, it means that your tolerance level for progressives is very high, thus you are able to adapt easily to other tier lenses. Still can save more money at the same time. Win win haha
I am not sure whether it's because I started wearing progressive lens when I was relatively young (37 yrs old). Any idea when is the usual lifespan of lens coating? My hoya served me well for abt 4 years when it is washed everyday.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.