The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
I am not sure whether it's because I started wearing progressive lens when I was relatively young (37 yrs old). Any idea when is the usual lifespan of lens coating? My hoya served me well for abt 4 years when it is washed everyday.
Depending on the quality of the coating and of course our usual day to day habits e.g cleaning lenses or cleaning with our shirt etc. Some can last up to 4-5 years and more whereas I seen others within 6 months quite bad

koster

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Depending on the quality of the coating and of course our usual day to day habits e.g cleaning lenses or cleaning with our shirt etc. Some can last up to 4-5 years and more whereas I seen others within 6 months quite bad
Thanks! Wow 6 months is bad!

gary92

Reaction score
Heard Owndays has a updated Blue lens that cost $199 with less reflection when taking pictures and less yellow in general. Anyone has their pair made recently? I had mine done like close to 2 years ago and I have been plagued by the reflection when trying to take pictures

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
I am not sure whether it's because I started wearing progressive lens when I was relatively young (37 yrs old). Any idea when is the usual lifespan of lens coating? My hoya served me well for abt 4 years when it is washed everyday.
My 1st progressive lens is Hoya , done on 2014.
the coating start to give way during 2019

I didn't wash everyday. Only occasion wash it under running water. Clear it with cloth (some time with my T-shirt) daily.
I only regularly clear my nose pad.

Only occasion went to make other spec, the spec shop wash for me and change my nose pad

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Heard Owndays has a updated Blue lens that cost $199 with less reflection when taking pictures and less yellow in general. Anyone has their pair made recently? I had mine done like close to 2 years ago and I have been plagued by the reflection when trying to take pictures
It is similar to Essilor bluecapture lens, Shamir blue zero, more of a blue light absorb design lens. You should be able to find this similar lens at a cheaper price too.

therat

Master Member
Reaction score
progressive-03.jpg

This is ownday Computer Progressive lens.

photo2.png

This is Zoff Mid-Near vision progressive lenses.

Mid-Near Lens​

See near objects, as well as those that are 1 to 2 meters away indoors.

Suitable for​

Desk work, housework, reading etc.

Is Zoff better then ownday?
Any pro and con for both Computer Progressive?

oracle00

Reaction score
hi gangsterkia,

i am looking at making a pair of progressive lens for office use (mainly computer work and of course the usual reading of handphones, tablets etc). this will be my first progressive lens. i previously got by by "cheating" on the degrees of the lens for each eye

based on my reading of threads, it seems like hoya mystyle v+ is the recommended lens (seems like it is about $1k plus). would you say the difference is substantial between this lens vis-a-vis say Owndays progressive lens (think its around $500?)? if i decide to proceed with hoya mystyle, which optical shop would you recommend?

also, are you with any optical shops?

i also read that you had recommended a general progressive lens and computer lens combination. i am a bit confused over this "computer lens". i understand it to be also a type of progressive lens that is more suited for intermediate and near vision. means it will also be about the same price as a general progressive lens?

thanks for reading this long post and the many questions posed!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
progressive-03.jpg

This is ownday Computer Progressive lens.

photo2.png

This is Zoff Mid-Near vision progressive lenses.

Mid-Near Lens​

See near objects, as well as those that are 1 to 2 meters away indoors.

Suitable for​

Desk work, housework, reading etc.

Is Zoff better then ownday?
Any pro and con for both Computer Progressive?
They are not better than other. Just that the purpose for each is different. One allows you to see abit further but compromises on near and intermediate. The other is good for near but poor intermediate and far. Depends on your visual needs.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
hi gangsterkia,

i am looking at making a pair of progressive lens for office use (mainly computer work and of course the usual reading of handphones, tablets etc). this will be my first progressive lens. i previously got by by "cheating" on the degrees of the lens for each eye

based on my reading of threads, it seems like hoya mystyle v+ is the recommended lens (seems like it is about $1k plus). would you say the difference is substantial between this lens vis-a-vis say Owndays progressive lens (think its around $500?)? if i decide to proceed with hoya mystyle, which optical shop would you recommend?

also, are you with any optical shops?

i also read that you had recommended a general progressive lens and computer lens combination. i am a bit confused over this "computer lens". i understand it to be also a type of progressive lens that is more suited for intermediate and near vision. means it will also be about the same price as a general progressive lens?

thanks for reading this long post and the many questions posed!
Hey,
If it is for office lens usage, you don’t have to get mystyle series tbh. The general progressive lens solution works IF the practitioner knows your visual needs and can adjust the prescription accordingly. If it’s cheaper tbh but if you would prefer to be safe, you can consider getting an office lens which I would recommend the Hoya work style series.
As of now, I am not working in a retail practice but somewhere else which is still related to my field. But I can always recommend you to a practice if you are interested.

rabbit1

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi Ganster,

Any lens to reduce eye strain from excessive PC use? My line of work requires to on screen almost 6-8h straight..

Thanks

oracle00

Reaction score
Hey,
If it is for office lens usage, you don’t have to get mystyle series tbh. The general progressive lens solution works IF the practitioner knows your visual needs and can adjust the prescription accordingly. If it’s cheaper tbh but if you would prefer to be safe, you can consider getting an office lens which I would recommend the Hoya work style series.
As of now, I am not working in a retail practice but somewhere else which is still related to my field. But I can always recommend you to a practice if you are interested.
Thanks for your taking the time to reply. I would go with your recommendation with the Hoya work style series then. For the mystye series, can I say it would be better for general day to day usage? Asking because I am considering the combination recommendation of using different lens for office and general you posted earlier. (I forgot to mention that my short sightedness is about 650 degrees each eye and astigmatism is also about 200 each eye)

One more question, what is your view of Zeiss vis a vis Hoya? I was actually thinking of Zeiss prior to reading this thread as I have also read quite positive things about Zeiss.

It would be great if you could recommend me to a practice. Many thanks!

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your taking the time to reply. I would go with your recommendation with the Hoya work style series then. For the mystye series, can I say it would be better for general day to day usage? Asking because I am considering the combination recommendation of using different lens for office and general you posted earlier. (I forgot to mention that my short sightedness is about 650 degrees each eye and astigmatism is also about 200 each eye)

One more question, what is your view of Zeiss vis a vis Hoya? I was actually thinking of Zeiss prior to reading this thread as I have also read quite positive things about Zeiss.

It would be great if you could recommend me to a practice. Many thanks!
Zeiss is always a very consistent brand. Their distance clarity is really superb but if we are to compare reading, based on my past patients feedback, Hoya edge the Zeiss lenses overall when comparing between mystyle v+ against individual 2(smartlife too).
You are right on the general day to day usage. Mystyle V+ Would be recommended for that.

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Ganster,

Any lens to reduce eye strain from excessive PC use? My line of work requires to on screen almost 6-8h straight..

Thanks
Hey,
Depending on your age,
18-37 antifatigue e.g. Hoya sync 3, Essilor crizal eyezen, Zeiss Energizeme or digital lenses.

37 onwards you can consider antifatigue or progressives but if you prescription is Low e.g. seeing distance do not need glasses, then you can consider making a pair of office lenses.

oracle00

Reaction score
Zeiss is always a very consistent brand. Their distance clarity is really superb but if we are to compare reading, based on my past patients feedback, Hoya edge the Zeiss lenses overall when comparing between mystyle v+ against individual 2(smartlife too).
You are right on the general day to day usage. Mystyle V+ Would be recommended for that.
thanks! where would u recommend to do if going for hoya lens?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.