Thread all abt ROLEX - Part 2

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?
 
Last edited:

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
Hey everyone!

thank you so much for the tips/advice and I decided to contribute back.

I started my journey 3 months ago requesting for a TT 36mm Fluted with Jubilee DJ.

tried my luck at THG and also get a Tudor and got the call to get my Dj.

super happy with my purchase and looking forward to my next 36DJ in Green! So from the information I get here is, it will be considered an allocated piece.

so if anyone is wondering if you need to get other brands to start the Rolex journey, my personal experience is yes even for the non popular models.

I'm not a Rolex expert but bro, i think u tio scam..I got 2 datejusts from 1 AD without any purchase history and 1 Explorer ii offer from another AD without history as well

If u happen to travel to Europe can try also ba. I got offered Skydweller at Switzerland when via walk in (no purchase history)
 
Last edited:

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
Get what you like? Like th explorer 2 get it, Dont like why force yourself to get. Got money get both.

I quite like the explorer 2 actually but I keep reading online that it's an unpopular model and also less demand/investment value for some reason as compared to other SS models. Thus the dilemma :(

this reddit thread for example
https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/s/uAiqtJ5PGt
 

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2002
Messages
23,049
Reaction score
36
I quite like the explorer 2 actually but I keep reading online that it's an unpopular model and also less demand/investment value for some reason as compared to other SS models. Thus the dilemma :(

this reddit thread for example
https://www.reddit.com/r/rolex/s/uAiqtJ5PGt
If you like to eat normal Laksa, but reddit say actually katong Laksa is better demand and more vaule food you suddenly dont like normal Laksa? Are you in for the watch or you flipping? Alot of people are confuse on why they even get a Rolex or any other watches
 

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
If you like to eat normal Laksa, but reddit say actually katong Laksa is better demand and more vaule food you suddenly dont like normal Laksa? Are you in for the watch or you flipping? Alot of people are confuse on why they even get a Rolex or any other watches

Honest answer is, ideally meet both criteria. One that I like + got value, somewhat like buying property ba, has to be one I like and has good resale value in future also.

So kinda want to know what rolex collectors think abt explorer 2 and if it's worth it or would it be better to continue waiting for sub (which may never materialise..)
 

fade_white

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
46,217
Reaction score
5,991
Nowadays RSC don’t do authentication anymore, but do they at least help to check your serial number if it’s reported stolen etc and warranty valid?
 

fade_white

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
46,217
Reaction score
5,991
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?
U ask for sub they offer u explorer. Of cos no lah.
 

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?

lolol jialat
 

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
Honest answer is, ideally meet both criteria. One that I like + got value, somewhat like buying property ba, has to be one I like and has good resale value in future also.

So kinda want to know what rolex collectors think abt explorer 2 and if it's worth it or would it be better to continue waiting for sub (which may never materialise..)
lolololol jialat
 

bwaysaikryptonite

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
May 20, 2008
Messages
14,234
Reaction score
2,202
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?

serve chiu right if moi ish AD also will notch sell you the sub and fish u along chao flipper

If suddenly sub is readily available at every AD suddenly you will not want the sub anymore hahaha…same logic..cos u can’t flip aka no “value” lol and every chao flipper can get his hands on a sub
 

Plikhz

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
261
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?
Is ur own AD a different shop/chain?

How does explorer 2 wear on your wrist? Do you like it? Are you going to build a bigger collection (seeing you already have a few watches, you are a collector yourself already) and do you think explorer 2 likely to fit in that?

personally I would have considered it in an earlier stage of watch collecting but a few years in and understanding the variety that I like, my own preference is to collect a nice range given my budget, so I won’t hoard too many, may pass if I am in your position
 

watchlouver99

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2024
Messages
59
Reaction score
28
Was with a friend ytd and friend intro me to his rolex AD yesterday since we were passing by (I have no prior purchase history with this AD btw). So I registered my interest for black sub. Today, I got offered a black explorer 2, 42mm.

Would like advice from the seasoned rolex collectors here, is explorer 2 worth getting or is it too easy a model to get? If I turn down, does it ruin any future chances with them?

Also, my own AD whom I have bought 3 watches from: i.e. a 2 x pm datejust and 1 x tudor and have promised me a black sub but no news for more than 6 mths already...I probably tio scam by this AD. Regret buying the Tudor man

Any advice? :(

Should I just settle for explorer 2 and give up on sub?
The explorer 2 does not have much value, buy if you like…. If you didn’t request for the explorer 2 and they just offer and you decline I can’t see why it will ruin your chances, however, an Explorer 2 isn’t usually a model
You use for allocation of other models.

For your current Ad 6 months usually is the typical wait for 2 DJ to get a Sub date lah. However, any longer seems excessive, did you follow up with your SA ?
 

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
How does explorer 2 wear on your wrist? Do you like it? Are you going to build a bigger collection (seeing you already have a few watches, you are a collector yourself already) and do you think explorer 2 likely to fit in that?

personally I would have considered it in an earlier stage of watch collecting but a few years in and understanding the variety that I like, my own preference is to collect a nice range given my budget, so I won’t hoard too many, may pass if I am in your position

I find explorer 2 a bit too big..42mm rly too big for a female. Yea probably will pass ba.

Ya it's a different AD
 

mansae

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2015
Messages
7,821
Reaction score
3,196
The explorer 2 does not have much value, buy if you like…. If you didn’t request for the explorer 2 and they just offer and you decline I can’t see why it will ruin your chances, however, an Explorer 2 isn’t usually a model
You use for allocation of other models.

For your current Ad 6 months usually is the typical wait for 2 DJ to get a Sub date lah. However, any longer seems excessive, did you follow up with your SA ?

Ya actually now is slightly over 6 months liao. I bought 2 PM datejust + 1 tudor from him so I thought my chances were good but when I followed up last wk, he told me no stocks for sub. I think he smoking me cos my colleague got offered sub from the same AD just last month

"however, an Explorer 2 isn’t usually a model You use for allocation of other models."

Ya I also dunno why the new AD offer me this. maybe cos I shared that i alrdy have datejust so not looking for any of such anymore
 

Plikhz

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
261
I find explorer 2 a bit too big..42mm rly too big for a female. Yea probably will pass ba.

Ya it's a different AD
Oh u r a lady or it’s for your partner? Sorry I haven’t been following the chat. Yes will likely be too big
 

Plikhz

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2010
Messages
1,198
Reaction score
261
Ya actually now is slightly over 6 months liao. I bought 2 PM datejust + 1 tudor from him so I thought my chances were good but when I followed up last wk, he told me no stocks for sub. I think he smoking me cos my colleague got offered sub from the same AD just last month

"however, an Explorer 2 isn’t usually a model You use for allocation of other models."

Ya I also dunno why the new AD offer me this. maybe cos I shared that i alrdy have datejust so not looking for any of such anymore
Depends on which AD, but subs should come very very frequently, maybe he forgot and now that you reminded him it might come soon. But at least this new AD intro by your friend offered you something, even if u pass, could be possible that in future can offer u sub?
 

pwillie

Master Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2000
Messages
4,874
Reaction score
730
“Quite like” will become “super like” after knowing the resale will increase
“Quite like” will become “will pass cos size too big, design boring bla bla” when knowing resale will tank
Rolex buyers are a special breed I’ll say….
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top